How to get a longer nap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get a longer nap?

DD is 13 months and sleeps excellent overnight 11-12 hours straight 7-7 roughly.

Around 11 months she was going down later and later for her morning nap so we started transitioning to 1 nap a day. She was previously doing 2 x 1 hour naps.

since 12 months we gave been on 1 nap a day but she only ever does 1 hour. I feel like she needs more sleep in the day. Is it because she isn't walking yet? Do you think she will sleep longer once walking and is there anything I could do to encourage a longer day nap. I really don't think we can revert back to 2 day sleeps. She is nearly 14 months.

Thankyou

Going from what my kids have done, it sounds normal to me (not sure how walking comes into it). Does she wake up happy? Can you resettle her?

Comment

She does normally wake up happy but today she woke crying which she never does so I fed her and put her back down and she grizzled but went back to sleep.

A lot of my friends toddlers nap 2-3 hours so I just worry she isn't getting enough sleep.

Comment

The reason I mentioned walking is I thought she might tire herself out more once she's walking.

Comment

Sounds like she definitely needed more sleep today. I also had friends whose children would nap 3 hrs in the day and then slept all night - I was always extremely jealous What time is the nap? Could you move it later (say midday?)

Comment

It's 12pm or 1230pm roughly. Usually I try trust that she knows how much sleep she needs but the i start doubting myself when I see the 3 hour nap!

Comment

An hour doesn't sound long enough to me either, not day after day, she'll soon get tired again. No advice sorry but Hopefully when she starts walking she'll sleep longer, a friends 15 month old baby just started walking and has doubled her sleep time to 3+ hours!

Comment

I've always envied those who mention the 2-3 hour nap. My dd is very much like yours. Sleeps great at night but only ever 1 hour max during the day. She's now 17 months walking/ running and still only the same nap. I battled with it for a while but now I give up. She's fine for the rest of the day and very happy when bed time comes around so if that's the case I wouldn't worry too much. Good luck op

Comment

I think some babies just need less sleep than others. My DS1 wouldn't nap past an hour, ever. Even now at 6 he only has 10 hours sleep overnight max and is never tired.

My DS3 is one of those who has longer naps, I've never done anything specific to encourage it, he just needs more than my DS1 ever did.

If she is waking up happy I think she's fine, but if not its a good idea what you did today

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Comment

My dd isn't a great sleeper... But when she transitioned to one nap she was only sleeping an hour or 40 minutes. After a couple of weeks she started sleeping longer and if we're home sleeps 2-3 hours. Maybe just give it time. I do try to put her down after lunch and a bottle. So belly is full. Sometimes she wakes an hour in but I leave her and she will put herself back to sleep within 10 minutes most of the time and sleep for another hour.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Comment

My DD did similar to TamTam's (recurring theme ).

The transition from 2 to 1 was quite awkward, the 2 naps were becoming quite short and the second very difficult to put her down for, so we went to 1, but initially it was only as long as one of her previous two naps but then it stretched out by itself and she is still have 2-3 hour day naps.

I actually find pushing the nap out too late can sometimes have the opposite effect, my DD wakes 7:30 and goes back down 11:30-12

Comment

I definitely think she needs more sleep. When my 3 kids were on one nap (from around 12 months) they would sleep at least 2 hours and my girls would often do 3. Then they would do 12 or 13 overnight. Generally 6pm - 6:30am.

Comment

My DS has only ever had 1.5hrs for his one nap a day. He's done this from about 12 months. Every now and then he'll sleep for 2-2.5 hours just to surprise me. He didn't start sleeping through the night until around 16 months - but even then his daytime nap didn't change at all.

I think it really depends on the individual child. OP - If she's mostly happy after naps and she's sleeping well at night I wouldn't worry too much.

ETA DS started walking at 13 months and the daytime nap didn't change.

Comment

Working...
                          X