Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips to get my neatly 5 year old to poo on the toilet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips to get my neatly 5 year old to poo on the toilet?

How do I get my almost 5 year old to poo on the toilet. I’m pretty sure I’ve tried every technique, except one I’m about to try - to write a plan with him with the 5 steps with one being to cut a hole in his pull up. My oldest son has Autism and he managed to do one at 4 1/2 years old because he was busting to go and I said we haven’t got time to get a nappy. Lots of friends have said not to push them into it, otherwise it takes longer but I’ve had enough now. I know they normally just do it when they’re ready but any tips that worked for your kids? Thanks

Hope someone has tips!
    I am toilet training my youngest at 2.5 y and for the first time I have a kid who refuses to poo on the toilet. She freaks out.

Comment

I toilet trained by example, when I was living alone with him, when I went to the toilet he would use his potty, which didn't take long to progress to the toilet, which is what he wanted because it's what I used.

Comment

Any tips to get my neatly 5 year old to poo on the toilet?

With my daughter she responded to a poo chart. A sticker for every poo on the toilet then every so often she’d get a pink square which meant a small box of smarties. Once she finished the chart she got a box of Lego that she’d picked out. The catalyst though was that we were out and I didn’t have a pull-up on me and we were at a play centre so she had to poo in the toilet. Once she got into it, she’d often forget about putting a sticker on the chart etc as it became her normal.

ETA she was between 3.5-4 when this happened. She’d been toilet trained for a good year+ for wees before she’d do a poo on the toilet.

Comment

Both my kids were fully night and day trained at 2 yrs 9 mths old .
          We never used a potty, started as soon as they walked, pull ups from walking, sticker charts , work out how often they are having their bowels open and only offer once that time comes up to be due, naked any opportunity-but be in the same room to catch an opportunity (poo face)

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Finally got it out of him today why he’s worried about doing it. He said his back will hurt sitting on the toilet. I read online that kids can get worried about sitting on the toilet to poo because they’re used to standing. I showed his teddies doing a poo on the toilet today and managed to coax him to sit on the toilet with his pull up on. He didn’t poo but it’s a start. He wasn’t happy with me for a while 😆

Comment

We used the smaller toilet seat that had steps for them that fitted over the toilet - yes they may not need the steps at 5 but we found the smaller seat better still at that age, the steps didn't bother them, it's actually really healthy to have your feet up off the ground on a stool/step when you do a poop. Other than that mine just seemed to figure it, no profound words of wisdoms I'm afraid

Comment

Working...
              X