Ditching the night nappies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ditching the night nappies

My kids are all still in night nappies. It didn't bother me but now DD1 is asking to go on a sleep over. I don't want her to go with a pull up incase she gets teased. She's in grade 1 and is 6.5yo.

She wanted to practise going without which has resulted in 4 days of me washing sheets. She's not yet had a dry night. I'm at home so I can wash every day but... should we just go back to pull ups and postpone sleepovers?

Any advice, stories etc?

Originally posted by Mamasupial View Post
    My kids are all still in night nappies. It didn't bother me but now DD1 is asking to go on a sleep over. I don't want her to go with a pull up incase she gets teased. She's in grade 1 and is 6.5yo.

She wanted to practise going without which has resulted in 4 days of me washing sheets. She's not yet had a dry night. I'm at home so I can wash every day but... should we just go back to pull ups and postpone sleepovers?

Any advice, stories etc?
    With my DS1 and DS2, we did not give them a heap of drinks about an hour before bed, if we did it was to sip water, and then we would get them to go to the toilet before bed and wake them up at about midnight and get them to go to the toilet up until they got the hang of their body waking them and telling them they needed to go. Hope this helps.

Comment

DS must have been about that age when we started really trying. No milk before bed, taking him to the toilet before we went to bed. It took quite a while but I can't remember exactly how long. Felt like forever!

As for sleepovers, I know when I've taken 100+ grade 3s on camp at least a couple are still in pull ups. So at grade 1, I would estimate that would be a much higher number. You could either give your DD some wipes and a plastic bag she could take to the toilet in the morning, put it all in and give to you when she gets home or the other child's parent could help with discretely disposing of the bag? On camp we would have a system like the latter and none of the other kids were ever any the wiser.

Comment

Thanks. Since I get up at night anyway I could wake her up for the toilet. I'll give that a go.

The sleep over she wants is literally in our street.

Comment

My youngest had a sleepover in year 1 and still wore dry nights. Turns out her friend still had the occasional night accident as well so the mum used those dry night mats and there was nothing to be embarrassed.

Comment

Ds1, we would make him go to the toilet before bed and wake him up around midnight. I was up every 90 mind with ds2 at the time so it wasn't hard.

Ds2... ughhh!! He's outgrown pullups. We take him to the toilet before bed, and usually around midnight. Sometimes he's already wet (1 in 10?) 🤦‍♀️...... maybe 15% of the time he's dry in the morning, and the other times he's wet when I get him up. SOMETIMES I can change him at midnight, and he's wet AGAIN at 7am.

His bed is made with a fitted Terry waterproof mattress protector, then fitted sheet, then a bedpad he sleeps on. - we are using the waterproof night and day ones from Aquarius. They're expensive but 10x better than anything else we've used. Then he has a doona/quilt over the top.

Most of the time I am washing his quilt/doona and the bed pad. The only time I need to do his sheets is when I'd normally do them, or if he scrunches it up..

I saw an incontinence nurse for him recently and it was traumatic. Her response to my comment about washing was "welcome to parenthood". 😡 she suggested getting 1.5L of fluids into him before dinner, then no fluids after dinner... she said so many things, things I consider inappropriate and beyond her scope as a nurse, that I'm still considering a formal complaint.

When I mentioned her comments to ds2s psych (in relation to his meltdown and how it affected bedtimes immediately after) she was gobsmacked, and said it was inappropriate, especially given she was well aware of ds2s asd as it was documented in his file... 😡

I am just persevering with the 2 hours of extra washing a day 😔

Comment

I asked DD1 what she would like to do tonight. She wants to keep trying with no pull up. So I asked if she wanted me to wake her at night to go to the toilet. I woke her just then at 9.45 as I'm about to put DD3 back to sleep soon. Hopefully that does the trick.

Comment

ds was 5 at the end of feb. he’s been night dry bar the odd accident for over a year at least. we do pot him just before we go to bed though. will start weaning off that as weather gets warmer though. my sister’s ds is 6 and still wears a pull up to bed. there’s such a range of normal.

Comment

Even with waking her to go to the toilet, she still wet the bed. Though she did get up to change her clothes. The other nights she didn't.

Comment

My son is almost 11 and is wet most nights.
                    Unfortunately this isn’t something you can teach.
                    We work with a urologist and have have tried absolutely everything. We are only the strongest dose of the last medication to try and it hasn’t done a thing.
                    We are back to the urologist in a couple of weeks and we will be booking in for a Botox procedure. Last resort.
                    Whilst my son is sporty, exceptionally smart, confident and popular he still has this.
                    He does sleep overs, camps, doesn’t miss a thing. But he is always worried someone will find out. The last few months it has started to wear him down.
                    We use pull ups because waking up in the morning to wet sheets just wasn’t helping. My son is such a deep sleeper he doesn’t wake when the sheets are wet.
                    Sorry this turned into more of a vent.

Comment

Big hugs LM. sounds like he's resilient thanks to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamasupial View Post
                        Big hugs LM. sounds like he's resilient thanks to you.
                        Thank you. He is so resilient. Hopefully Botox works for him. I’m so nervous about it but it’s what he wants and needs.

Comment

After the boy started wearing undies during the day and remaining dry, we just deleted nappies at night too.
                          He went to bed naked, then anytime he would we the bed he would be uncomfortable pretty instantly, come and wake me up so I changed his sheets, then back to bed.
                          It took around a year for him to become dry at night most of the time.

I had three vinyl mattress protectors, sometimes it would mean having to change his sheets twice in one night.
                          I went with my dads idea he had to be made physically uncomfortable in a wet bed before it would improve.

It worked! Once in a while he has an accident at night but it's rare.

Comment

I’d go back to pull ups but go ahead with sleepovers, providing your daughter is comfortable with how she would like to manage discarding of pull up in the morning.

Like a PP mentioned, being dry at night can’t be taught. The child needs to make and release adequate amounts of ADH (anti diuretic hormone). When this occurs is child dependent and I believe anything up until 8 years old is typical.

Maybe have a chat with GP next time your visiting for yourself?

Comment

[MENTION=70698]Mamasupial[/MENTION] our DD1's are the same age. I think you will be surprised by the number of year 1's still in pull ups at night. DD1 (who was dry from 2 day and night) started bed wetting again when covid started so we put her into pull ups for about 4 weeks I think. She was telling me about friends that wore pull ups and initially I thought she was saying it to make herself feel better about wearing them but they were. And still do. One of them is seven in August and her brother was exactly the same.

Maybe just have a chat with the other parent and ask them to be discreet and let your DD know what you've done but I don't think she would get teased, kids are pretty understanding and considerate of their friends

Comment

Working...
                              X