Dummy Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dummy Q

Please forgive the potential ridiculousness of this question.

For those who've used dummies.....Can you give baby a dummy from time to time during the day only, or is it all or nothing? If they take a dummy sometimes will it become necessary all the time, at night and for naps?

I'm toying with the idea, mostly because I think dummies are super cute - but dd2 settles well without one and can get herself back to sleep (currently anyway, I'm well aware suddenly baby sleep can change), so I don't want to create a sleep prop for the sake of giving her a dummy from time to time during the day just because I think they're cute. But they are cute.

If the only reason you want to give her one is the cuteness, I wouldn’t do it.

All 6 of mine had dummies. All 5 girls would only take them if they were tired, and wouldn’t wake up looking for it either. They all self weaned completely by about 4-6 months. Ds has a dummy- he had it almost constantly for the first few weeks-month (born prem and they used it in SCN to develop his suck reflex). Once he came home he used it less and less frequently and now (almost 6 months old) he only has it when tired. Once he’s asleep it falls out or he takes it out while playing and falls asleep on his own. Same as the girls, he never wakes up looking for it and isn’t dependant on it (he can and does fall asleep without it).

Comment

Don’t do it!

I have a two year old who is hugely attached to her dummy. If I could have survived her infancy without giving her one, I absolutely would have.

Trying to take it off her is like ...

IMG_7422.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by SheWarrior View Post
        If the only reason you want to give her one is the cuteness, I wouldn’t do it.

All 6 of mine had dummies. All 5 girls would only take them if they were tired, and wouldn’t wake up looking for it either. They all self weaned completely by about 4-6 months. Ds has a dummy- he had it almost constantly for the first few weeks-month (born prem and they used it in SCN to develop his suck reflex). Once he came home he used it less and less frequently and now (almost 6 months old) he only has it when tired. Once he’s asleep it falls out or he takes it out while playing and falls asleep on his own. Same as the girls, he never wakes up looking for it and isn’t dependant on it (he can and does fall asleep without it).
        I agree, wouldn’t do it for the cuteness factor. My DD2 has bad reflux and paed suggested dummy in between feeds might help keep it all down. We use it some days but never for sleeps as she’s a brilliant sleeper without it. Now she’s getting her reflux under control we hardly use the dummy (probably been used once in the last fortnight). I think they’re definitely more hassle than they’re worth. A 3 year old sucking a dummy all day, removing it to speak or covered in a rash from the dummy is definitely not cute in my opinion.

Comment

If she settles without one definitely don't do it lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mashie View Post
            I agree, wouldn’t do it for the cuteness factor. My DD2 has bad reflux and paed suggested dummy in between feeds might help keep it all down. We use it some days but never for sleeps as she’s a brilliant sleeper without it. Now she’s getting her reflux under control we hardly use the dummy (probably been used once in the last fortnight). I think they’re definitely more hassle than they’re worth. A 3 year old sucking a dummy all day, removing it to speak or covered in a rash from the dummy is definitely not cute in my opinion.
            I still think my DD is cute.

Comment

I was afraid that would be the answer lol. Thanks. I even bought a couple of dummies yesterday but I guess I shouldn't do it...

Comment

Originally posted by Shoopuf View Post
                Don’t do it!

I have a two year old who is hugely attached to her dummy. If I could have survived her infancy without giving her one, I absolutely would have.

Trying to take it off her is like ...

[ATTACH]102231[/ATTACH]
                Yep same here! The dentist has said it needs to go because he has a cross bite and it’s making it worse, but he’s super attached. We’ve got it down to just nap time but if he finds one lying around the house, you bet it’s going straight into his mouth.

Don’t do it!

Comment

Keep them there. Once teething it could come in handy.
                  But she is likely not going to take it.

Dummies look cute I’ll agree but they are the devil.

They give short term peace with long term pain weaning off. Not all babies but all of mine!

My 5th would not take a dummy. Once he was 5 weeks I give up trying. There were many many times I wish he had taken it but in the end it was one less thing to give up so much easier.

Comment

Ds1 had one for 3 months then spat it out never again

Ds2 never he has a blankie that i detest and can’t sleep without it. It was his comfort when he was always sick

Dd never I’ve tried to her self settle with it but no milk comes out of it so she spat. It out. It’s boob or nothing [emoji24]

Comment

Dummy Q

Originally posted by Shoopuf View Post
                      I still think my DD is cute.
                      Sorry didn’t mean to offend anyone, it’s just my opinion I’m sure your DD is super cute. I personally dislike seeing a toddler with a dummy in their mouth 24/7. I’ve seen what it can do to teeth and speech long term. Thankfully both my DD’s have never really taken to them so it’s not been an issue for us.

Sorry to derail the thread op.

Op, how old is your LO? I’ve read that as long as you get rid of it before sleep cycles kick in you’re normally ok. Usually around 8 weeks for day sleep cycles and 16 weeks for night cycles..... that obviously only applies if you’re using it as a sleep aid not in between naps. Our paed also said not to use it constantly in between naps so they start to develop babbling ect.
                      Last edited by Mashie; 09-11-2019, 20:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebirdgirl View Post
                        Keep them there. Once teething it could come in handy.
                        But she is likely not going to take it.

Dummies look cute I’ll agree but they are the devil.

They give short term peace with long term pain weaning off. Not all babies but all of mine!

My 5th would not take a dummy. Once he was 5 weeks I give up trying. There were many many times I wish he had taken it but in the end it was one less thing to give up so much easier.
                        That's like a friend of mine who really wanted her baby to take a dummy, but the baby was completely disinterested and would just spit it out. My friend got very good at taking photos on the split second that the dummy stayed in the baby's mouth, so her photo album doesn't really tell the tale.

I think my bubby might eventually suck her thumb instead - she hasn't put the thumb in yet, but soothes by sucking/gnawing on the side of her thumb. At night I think she gnaws on the little flap covering the zipper of her sleeping bag. I think I'll fashion a little comforter out of a spare sleeping bag once she starts sleeping with her arms out at every sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by babybeeno1 View Post
                          Ds1 had one for 3 months then spat it out never again

Ds2 never he has a blankie that i detest and can’t sleep without it. It was his comfort when he was always sick

Dd never I’ve tried to her self settle with it but no milk comes out of it so she spat. It out. It’s boob or nothing [emoji24]
                          Yeah my dd1 who's 6 can't sleep without the soft toy she's had since 6 months. It's looking pretty ragged these days but to her it's the most beautiful thing in the world. They get so attached, it really is love.

Comment

Originally posted by Mashie View Post
                            Sorry didn’t mean to offend anyone, it’s just my opinion I’m sure your DD is super cute. I personally dislike seeing a toddler with a dummy in their mouth 24/7. I’ve seen what it can do to teeth and speech long term. Thankfully both my DD’s have never really taken to them so it’s not been an issue for us.

Sorry to derail the thread op.

Op, how old is your LO? I’ve read that as long as you get rid of it before sleep cycles kick in you’re normally ok. Usually around 8 weeks for day sleep cycles and 16 weeks for night cycles..... that obviously only applies if you’re using it as a sleep aid not in between naps. Our paed also said not to use it constantly in between naps so they start to develop babbling ect.
                            She's 15 weeks, so I guess another reason not to start now...

Comment

Thumb-sucking can cause the same dental issues can't it?

Comment

Working...
                              X