Child passport with non-traditional family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child passport with non-traditional family

Hi everyone. Has anyone had experience applying for a child passport with a non-traditional family? I see the application form asks for 'Mother' and 'Father' details. We are a two mum family, both on the birth certificate. I was thinking of crossing out 'Father' and writing 'Parent'. Anyone done something like this, and did you have any problems?

Ps tips for how to get a passport photo of a toddler also appreciated ☺

Last edited by Yoghurt; 24-07-2016, 18:24.

Comment

Last edited by Yoghurt; 24-07-2016, 18:24.

Comment

Australia Post take passport photos. I've always found them really good.

In terms of crossing out Dad and adding parent I would ask at Australia Post or phone the passport office.

Comment

Thank you.

I meant more in terms of keeping him still, not smiling, looking straight, etc ☺

Comment

I'd ring passport office re parents name. Australia post do photos but some offices you need to make an appt to do so as they wont take walk in's.

Comment

I'm not sure but I'd call the post office or passport office to ask before crossing anything out. They are so picky about the smallest of things when it comes to those forms. Pretty crappy in this day and age that it doesn't have 'parent' already!

Comment

Originally posted by JustJaq View Post
                Thank you.

I meant more in terms of keeping him still, not smiling, looking straight, etc ☺
                They are pretty good at taking photos at Aus Post. They usually have toys etc and keep clicking until there is a good one lol. They have stools and backgrounds etc.

Give the passport ppl a call and ask about the form.

Comment

Place we went to lies the baby down & takes a photo over the top. Had to google appropriate photo centre though.

Comment

With regards to the photo, we went to an Australia Post which was recommended on a facebook.page at being good with toddlers. I practiced with her beforehand but basically we got her to stand in front of the backdrop and I stood behind the photographer. When she got one with her facing the camera with her eyes open and mouth closed she cropped in so it was the right size and then printed it out.

No advice on the form apart from talking to someone at your local Aus Post during your passport interview. I cant believe in 2016 it hasnt been updated to say Parent in both fields.

Comment

F
                      I'm a solo parent by choice so need to know this stuff for later!

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Enough View Post
                        F
                        I'm a solo parent by choice so need to know this stuff for later!
                        B9 form online from passport office of both parents are on birth certificate you can get one without the other parties signatures but they can track them down etc and ask for consent and if they say no your screwed. But if you have evidence to support them having no contact it is generally easier. It takes about 4-6weeks to process. If your amicable with other party just ask them to sign it but get the faster turn around process done and pay the little bit extra and you can get it done within a few days. This is myself speaking from experience

Comment

So - for anyone following, or looking at this thread in the future - I called the Passport Information Office (131 232) and asked how we should reflect two mums on the form. They told me that as of 1 July, there have been new forms released, which have Parent 1 and Parent 2! Hooray!

Comment

Originally posted by babybeeno1 View Post
                            B9 form online from passport office of both parents are on birth certificate you can get one without the other parties signatures but they can track them down etc and ask for consent and if they say no your screwed. But if you have evidence to support them having no contact it is generally easier. It takes about 4-6weeks to process. If your amicable with other party just ask them to sign it but get the faster turn around process done and pay the little bit extra and you can get it done within a few days. This is myself speaking from experience
                            Thanks for that. No one else on the birth certificate, I used a sperm donor.

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Enough View Post
                              Thanks for that. No one else on the birth certificate, I used a sperm donor.
                              You'll be aok no hassles at all. Just need to plan somewhere warm and exotic in this weather we are having

Comment

Working...
                              X