This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what I'm doing has a name??!!! lol

I can remember so clearly the first day that ds went to day care - he was a little over two and I had to spoon feed him his yogurt and the group leader was like "You still feed him?!" I had no idea when kids were meant to feed themselves.

With dd, it's a struggle to get her to eat from a spoon at all - doesn't sound so bad, but our house is so cold a bath after each meal isn't really possible. Biscuit-y type things are a fav here.

Anyway, in my long winded way - thanks for this thread, it's nice knowing that I'm not the only one doing this.

Comment

Quick question to anyone who may be an experienced BLWer- Is multigrain toast OK and at what stage did you introduce wheat, meat and yoghurt/cheese?

DD still isn't 6 months but we've been giving her finger foods at dinner time and sometimes lunch for the past 2 weeks or so. She has already tried and eaten a huge list of fruit and veg and I just want to know where to from here?

From day 1 she went from doing 6 poos a day to only doing 1-2 which is a relief and her day naps have improved so I am pretty sure she's been ingesting the food right from the get-go though if anything her BFs have increased.

Comment

I think multigrain is okay as the seeds are pretty small, but we just used rye as that's what we eat.

We started wheat (in bread) at 6 months (when we started BLW).

We're veggies so don't know about the meat.

I started soy yoghurt at about 12 months, but you could start it earlier if you like.

There's not much you can't give them from 6 months - as long as it's not a choking risk.

Comment

What a great thread! I'm looking to start C on solids in a couple of weeks and had never heard of BLW. I'm going to look more into it as it sounds like something I'd like to do!!

Comment

I just come across this term in another thread and wondered what it was all about.... thanks for having a great explanation thread!!!

DD is only just 4 months and i have been feeling some pressure to start introducing solids, i am not keen on the idea and she is not really showing signs, I really like this idea and am so glad i came across this thread, I have NEVER heard of the concept, and didnt think of it as common sense as everyone else seems to do the puree thing...

Thanks for a great informative thread!

Comment

Originally posted by MsMummy View Post
              There's not much you can't give them from 6 months - as long as it's not a choking risk.
              Oh that is good to know! I've been doing this also and have been hesitant to start bread, so good to know we can if we want to.

As for meat (not sure who asked about that) we only did veges for a while but have since started giving her bits of chicken and some mince which she devoured and absolutely loved.

Comment

Is it too late to start? Nathan has been having solids (spoon-fed pureed/mashed vegies and fruits for a month now).

Comment

I really want to try BLW with DD. Everytime I feed her she grabs the spoon from me and shovels it in, but because she has alot of allergies my pediatrician said "no way" has anyone else been told it's the "wrong" thing to do?

Comment

Am I supposed to keep giving him formula? He is having 4 bottles a day, when he wakes from his naps (he has two naps, sometimes a third in the evening) he wants a bottle. I gave him some watermelon today and he ate it but was still wanting milk.

Comment

waterlily, why did your pead say no? i cant imagine why. You still offer one food at first, watch for a reaction, ffer the same food a couple of times before introducing new stuff, so i cant undersatnd the problem

mum2bubba, still give milk. Food is fun till 1 so milk is the most important source of nutrition till about 12 months old. I use to fed bub first and offer food after 1/2 or 1 hour or so. I also introduced a sippy cup of water with food.

Comment

Pead said that her body has too much trouble digesting food as it is and to stick with purées. I was pretty upset. I know she would really take to BLW.

Comment

Originally posted by JabberJaw View Post
                          waterlily, why did your pead say no? i cant imagine why. You still offer one food at first, watch for a reaction, ffer the same food a couple of times before introducing new stuff, so i cant undersatnd the problem

mum2bubba, still give milk. Food is fun till 1 so milk is the most important source of nutrition till about 12 months old. I use to fed bub first and offer food after 1/2 or 1 hour or so. I also introduced a sippy cup of water with food.
                          Ok cool. I have been doing that now. I give him a bottle when he wakes up and then about an hour later he has food, I bought him a sippy cup yesterday and he's still getting used to it.

I am still figuring out what foods he can and can't have, I am used to pureed cr@p. I wish I had of known about BLW when the girls were babies especially Hayley cos she can be a fuss-pot at times.
                          Last edited by mum2bubba; 11-02-2010, 08:14.

Comment

Ok, sorry for another question but I have tried Nathan on a few different things, brocoli, watermelon, noodles, crackers, pineapple. So far he likes all those things but he is only licking them, I know he wants food cos he literally lunges at me when I am eating something (if I'm holding him at the same time) I don't think he is really chewing any food yet, just licking and sucking. He also can't hold some of his food so I have to do it for him (I have him in my lap while I do) I put food down on the table for him and he tries to grab things but sometimes he can't and he gets frustrated. Should I continue doing this or wait til he can chew. We have a highchair but he's too small for it yet, sometimes he sits in the pusher but it doesn't have a tray so I can't put the food down for him.

Comment

Great thread, we do a mix of BLW and purees, depending on how we both feel on the day.

Comment

I have just got the BLW book from the library and I have devoured it... Ifirst learnt about it from IttyBitty......!!! :-)

DD is 4 months old and already lunges for food when we are eating!! LOL...... and cries when she cant have it, such a strong, determined little bub!!!!!

I cant wait to actually try her on some foods - I am sure she will love it!!

Will watch this thread and cant wait to get on the band wagon for BLW!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X