Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol and Breastfeeding

Hi all,
    I am a breastfeeding mother of my 5 month old baby boy Jaeden.

Ever since he was born I've had a very relaxed attitude to alcohol and feeding. I have a drink most nights (usually white wine). I always have a drink after his last feed for the night and never get drunk, probably not even tipsy, but I have always enjoyed a glass of alcohol at the end of the day.

Are there other mothers out there that do the same? Am I doing the wrong thing? My baby is very healthy, very settled and is a regular barrel of laughs! I love him more than life itself

Simjt

Hi,
    I think your doing a great job, your baby is happy and healthy.

Personally I enjoy a glass of wine every now and then ( everything in moderation ), and I have indulged while breastfeeding frequently ( 1 -2 glass of red or white).

Sometimes its just the thing to relax after a long day of mothering.

Good on you.

Alcohol and Breastfeeding

LLL

Comment

I'm with ya.

Since DD has been sleeping a minimum of 6 hours at night, I now have a drink just after her last feed at night most nights. I limit it to 1 drink though, and on occasion will allow a max of 2 if I know i have a spare feed in the freezer just in case.

Sending you 'no guilt' vibes

Oh, and follow it with plenty of water to dilute it in the bloodstream

Comment

I'll admit to it too. I have drunk a glass at night when my baby is well and truly down for the night after the last feed. He is doing a good 8 plus hour stretch, so that is when I have a glass.

Comment

I've been told that a pint of guinness (or is it stout??) (or are they the same thing LOL I have no idea) increases milk supply, and it's good to have one of these per day.

Comment

I always had a glass or two and breastfed. The amount of alcohol in your blood is equivalent to that in your breastmilk, so you need to take that into consideration. .02% alcohol is negligible, .2% is not...

Comment

Since this seems to be a praise sillyness thread i wont say what I really think..

But it seems to me you all need to find something else to calm you down relax ou at the end of the day!!

I doubt any decent doc will say this is a good idea, it has been known to cause learning difficulties later on... it passes onto your babies.

So its no suprises they sleep, you might not get tipsy but the babies are alot smaller than you and it would take alot less to effect them...

Comment

Originally posted by mummycat
                Since this seems to be a praise sillyness thread i wont say what I really think..

But it seems to me you all need to find something else to calm you down relax ou at the end of the day!!

I doubt any decent doc will say this is a good idea, it has been known to cause learning difficulties later on... it passes onto your babies.

So its no suprises they sleep, you might not get tipsy but the babies are alot smaller than you and it would take alot less to effect them...
                I didn't think this was one of those silly threads. I think the question was quite valid. As I said earlier, there is a difference between having a drink and getting drunk. And some decent doctors will also tell you the difference too.

If you have a bit more of a read you will also see that most of the women have said they have a drink when their child is asleep, not to put them to sleep.

Comment

Actually I read all the posts thus far. I was actually just looking at the thread cause I saw there where replies and I thought surely someone has said "Hey mate maybe you shouldnt do that, its not good for your baby"

But no, this wasnt the case as you well know.

You are right with one thing there is a huge difference between getting drunk and drinking, But does this make being irresponsible ok???

I dont think so.

I also never said that they where drinking to put their children to sleep, I said are you suprised they are sleeping??!!

Im not because as anyone will know alcohol doesnt just leave your system in a few hours it is still in there when these kids wake up and have another feed.

And also I have been told by my doctor that people that drink whilst BF or pregnant dont get drunk or even tipsy most of the time because it passes directly onto your bay...

I really hope you all stop doing this and find something else to do.......

Because I know that all the mothers on here only have their childrens best interests at heart!!

Comment

Not one person has said its Ok to go drinking copious ammounts of alcohol and continue breastfeeding.

Everyone who has posted so far has made the qualification of 1-2 drinks, after their babys last feed ect. I dont know where you get your facts on learning difficuties being caused by minimal occasional intake?

The links that I posted discuss various responsible approaches to alcohol consumption while breastfeeding.

Comment

Originally posted by the_queen
                      I've been told that a pint of guinness (or is it stout??) (or are they the same thing LOL I have no idea) increases milk supply, and it's good to have one of these per day.
                      yep any type of beer does. its the yeast in it apparently. so a beer a day is good if ur having a 'low' time with ur supply

Comment

Originally posted by mummycat
                        Actually I read all the posts thus far. I was actually just looking at the thread cause I saw there where replies and I thought surely someone has said "Hey mate maybe you shouldnt do that, its not good for your baby"

But no, this wasnt the case as you well know.

You are right with one thing there is a huge difference between getting drunk and drinking, But does this make being irresponsible ok???

I dont think so.

I also never said that they where drinking to put their children to sleep, I said are you suprised they are sleeping??!!

Im not because as anyone will know alcohol doesnt just leave your system in a few hours it is still in there when these kids wake up and have another feed.

And also I have been told by my doctor that people that drink whilst BF or pregnant dont get drunk or even tipsy most of the time because it passes directly onto your bay...

I really hope you all stop doing this and find something else to do.......

Because I know that all the mothers on here only have their childrens best interests at heart!!
                        I'm not a medical expert, but lets just say, in my field I have studied much about alcohol blood levels. When you drink alcohol, your body digests it and metabolises it into your blood stream. That is why when you have a standard drink, it breaks down into your blood stream (depending on your size) to about .02%. If it didn't break down you would be dead after 3-4 drinks. With that being said, many studies have been done which showed the alcohol in your breastmilk and blood is exactly the same after the same amount of drinks.

The alcohol does not go straight to your boobs and stop you from getting drunk.

So if you have one to two standard drinks and do not feed your baby for 6-8 hours, then you will have no/minimal alcohol in your blood stream, which means there will be none/minimal in your milk.

If you do happen to feed your baby whilst your blood alcohol is for example .02%, then the baby will digest it and metabolise it too, to an even smaller amount again.

I am not saying "Wahooo, let's all have a party and get rolling drunk". But drinking responsibly both in pregnancy and breastfeeding is not necessarily a harmful practice.
                        Last edited by Maghan; 01-05-2006, 12:18.

Comment

i had heard that it helps with milk supply. My aunty had 4 kids and breastfed all of them with no trouble and she used to have A beer or a glass of wine most nights. Her youngest is now 7 and they are all actually pretty high achievers,not one of them has had any learning difficulty. I think the studies done on this are a little biased....could it not have been that those children studied had learning difficulties for another reason,or were higher amounts of alcohol consumed? JMHO. Anyway i'll get off my soapbox!!

Comment

Just to lend some perspective:

A glass of wine might have an alcohol content of 9 - 14 % v/v

The legal blood alcohol content (BAC) for driving is 0.05% v/v. For all of the examples given here, these women's BAC would be less than 0.05%. It is probably reasonable to assume that your BM is similar to your BAC and so for the examples given above, the alcohol content of the BM directly after drinking is less than 0.05% v/v over 200 times more dilute than a glass of wine.

Probably less than you'd find in an iced coffee (vanilla extract is at least 35 % alcohol v/v) or a lemon, lime and bitters (angostura bitters has an alcohol content of 47% v/v): both are considered to be "non-alcohol" containing beverages.

Hardly concerning IMHO
                            Last edited by xkwzit; 01-05-2006, 12:42.

Comment

It is my understanding that alcohol is metabolised at the same rate in breastmilk as it is in blood. So if your blood alcohol level is 0.00, so is your breast-milk alcohol level. If you were to have 1 standard drink (remembering that 1 standard glass of wine is 100ml), then wait 2-3 hours and you should be fine to feed your baby - your breast alcohol level will be back to 0.00

It is inadvisable to drink everyday, or in large amounts, however, as drinking can inhibit the let-down response, can reduce the amount of breastmilk produced, and can result in slow weight-gain for the infant.

But do what's right for you and for your baby - you're the mum, you know whats right!

here are some links I found useful when I was looking this up:

http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/b...,,6pmn,00.html

http://www.lrc.asn.au/forum/viewtopi...hlight=alcohol

http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/drugs.html
                              Last edited by Tam-I-Am; 01-05-2006, 14:27.

Comment

Working...
                              X