Help with baby bonus versus paid parental leave calculations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigRedV View Post
    I texted my friend last night to ask her how much her payments were and she said for ppl, she was getting $1178 a fortnight. Don't know how she was getting that much, but anyway.
    They aren't taxing it !! Or she is looking at online services. It shows the amount before tax that they pay your employer .

Comment

$1178 a fortnight is the full amount - $598 a week. That's the amount you get for the full 18 weeks, but it is taxed. The good thing about next financial year is that you can earn up to $18000 (approx) without any tax, so depending on what you earn other than this PPL you could end up keeping the whole amount. So, yes, using the 2011 tax calculator is not going to tell you what will happen to your money as tax is dropping in the lower brackets quite a lot.

I got my PPL last year/early this year and I got it through Centrelink as I'm self employed. They took out 15% tax and so I got around $500 a week. For me, I thought it was great cause I was self-employed, so no paid maternity leave, and I had to pay expenses while I was on leave ... and earn no money!

So, there's 2 considerations - how much tax will be taken out in each pay cycle (which depends on how much you earn in that week/fortnight/month - whatever your pay cycle is) and how much tax will be taken out in the financial year (which depending on how much unpaid leave you end up taking/etc will vary a lot).

Comment

I'm struggling with all of this at the moment too.

So a quick Q, when using the online calculator, do you include the PPL in your estimated income? I never have. I've just put my estimate that I would get solely from working for that FY.

Comment

Hi, I'm new here, sorry for crashing! I just wondered, why does it ask for DH's salary on the online calculator? It really seems to effect my amount of ppl and I'm not sure why, as I thought it would be calculated on my taxable income (which is failrly low!). I'm just so confused by it all!

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Maker View Post
            Hi, I'm new here, sorry for crashing! I just wondered, why does it ask for DH's salary on the online calculator? It really seems to effect my amount of ppl and I'm not sure why, as I thought it would be calculated on my taxable income (which is failrly low!). I'm just so confused by it all!

For family tax benefit

Comment

Originally posted by happygirl1982 View Post
              For family tax benefit
              Thanks! It's my first baby and I'm from the UK so it's a little hard for me to understand all of the different taxes/ benefits etc, but I shall talk it through with the accountant in a few weeks!

Comment

no point talking to Centre link as they can't direct people on which is better. They just send you to the online calculator.

Ms Maker - one payment is based on one income the other on the families income, this is why you are asked for your partners income.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Comment

MsMummy, when you are using the online estimator, have you been including your ppl payments when inputting your income estimate?

Comment

Originally posted by dormouse View Post
                    MsMummy, when you are using the online estimator, have you been including your ppl payments when inputting your income estimate?
                    I didn't, no, as it didn't seem to require it. I'll try again, including them.

Despite the shonky calculator which says baby bonus, I think I'll just apply for PPL.

Comment

I was going to say make sure you don't add them in. When I was working mine out, the lady at Centrelink told me that I had to add those payments in & I got so confused! I ended up claiming PPL & am heaps better off then if I claimed BB.

Comment

Originally posted by dormouse View Post
                        I was going to say make sure you don't add them in. When I was working mine out, the lady at Centrelink told me that I had to add those payments in & I got so confused! I ended up claiming PPL & am heaps better off then if I claimed BB.
                        It's hopeless when even Centrelink can't even tell you how to use their own defective calculator.

How long did your payments take it come through?

I've been told several months, which is outrageous given it is meant to be paid leave to help in the absence of your actual wages, whereas apparently the baby bonus (which is not being used in lieu of wages, so therefore not as relied upon) is apparently quicker.

I only deal with Centrelink about once a year, and it always gives me rage, lol.

Comment

It didn't take very long for my payments to start. I submitted the forms when bub was 3 days old & had my first payment less then 3 weeks later.

Comment

I gave in my forms on 20 June, got first payment yesterday - 9 days later.

Comment

My ppl took 6 weeks to commence. Got 4.2k for my first payment .

Comment

Working...
                              X