Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You, op, are an angel!! What a beautiful thing to do. Sleep well tonight knowing you have contributed to full tummies and peaceful mummas! Xxx

Comment

i do a Fettucine Carbonara really cheap

fettucine (woolworths brand) $1.00 500g
      Long Life cream 90c x2 could use one
      diced bacon 100-200g around $1.50
      A few mushrooms (have left them out) around $2.00
      salt
      pepper
      garlic

cook pasta as on packet

brown bacon and mushrooms add cream then pepper salt & garlic to taste then mix drained pasta and cream together

i sometime sever with garlic bread (make my own garlic butter and put it on toast)

Comment

A recipe i found in Take 5 this week

Bits 'n' Pieces meatballs

85g packet two minute noodles
        500g beef mince
        1 egg, lightly beaten
        1 small carrot, grated
        1 clove garlic, crushed
        2 TBLSP tomato sauce
        1 TBLSP chopped fresh parsley
        2 TBLSP plain flour

1. Cook noodles as directed on packet, drain , cool slightly, then chop roughly
        2. Place mince, noodles, egg, carrot, garlic, tomato sauce and parsley in a large bowl, then season with salt and pepper. Mix with clean hands until ingrediants are thoroughly combined. Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls. Sprinkle flour over a tray, roll meatballs in flour to lightly coat.
        3. Place meatballs in a well greased baking dish and bake in a 180C preheated oven for 35minutes or until cooked through, shaking dish occasionally during cooking so meatballs brown evenly. Serve meatballs with extra tomato sauce.

Comment

A good one I have found is a quick and easy "Samosa"

1 can of baked beans
          Mixed vegies (frozen ones are great!)
          1 Chopped onion.
          1/2 teaspoon of curry powder (or to taste)

Mix all ingredients togther and place on one sheet of puff pastry, leaving a 2cm border on all sides.

Place another sheet of puff pastry on top and join together, pressing down with a fork.

Lightly pierce the pastry to prevent is bursting open whilst cooking and lightly brush with a beaten egg.

Cook at 220 degrees until golden and brown (roughly 20-25 mins in a fan forced oven)

This dish feeds 4 and you can serve it up with mash potato, it's actually really filling and gives your daily serve of vegies.

Total cost is around $4-5 using homebrand pastry.

Comment

easy dessert

puff pastry and jam or frozen fresh fruit

cut pastry in quarters
            put some jam or fruit in a sqare of pasry old over to make a triangle and bake in oven until golden serve with cream or icecream

Comment

Ok so I went out and bought a card file directory thingy from officeworks which cost a bunch but ive already added all these wonderful recipes and have say o just another 200 or so cards to fill up. Im off to do some googling of budget meals.

Any more??

Comment

Here's another budget recipe and it's yummy (I'm making it tomorrow!)

Tuna Apple Curry
                1 large can of tuna
                1 tbs marjarine/butter
                2 onions sliced
                3 - 4 apples, peeled & sliced (or you can buy a big can of pie apple from the supermarket)
                1 tbs plain flour
                2 tsp sugar
                2 tsp curry powder
                2 cups of stock or water
                2 tsp tomato chutney (optional)
                250g mushrooms or champignons (optional)
                2 tsp sultanas (optional)

Melt marjarine/butter over low heat in frypan. Brown apples & onion until soft. Stir in flour, sugar & curry powder. Add mushrooms (if using) and cook for 1 minute. Add stock/water and stir under boils. Add tuna, chutney & sultanas and stir until heated through. Serve with rice/pasta/bread.

Serves 4.

Comment

All these recipes sound really nice and cheap so might try and make some.

Comment

Baked potatos- couple slices of bacon diced and cooked with a diced onion add to a thing of sour cream and some grated cheese and mix together. Pop the sauce over cooked potatoes, rewrap in foil and bake for another 10 minutes. If its your flavour (its ours lol) its so good, pretty fatty though
                    Another recipe I found online involves a can of baked beans, sausages and some sliced cooked potatos layered in like a casserole/hot pot, sprinkle with some cheese if you have it and bake. Its really filling.
                    My sister boils some chops in a tin of tomatoes throw in carrot/potatoes whatever you have thats good to.
                    Finally this was my DD's fav food was a tin of tomatoes, red lentils then lots of diced vegies- carrot/onion/celery etc cooked togther. Kind of makes a soup, make it as thick as you like, meat could be added.

Comment

a cheap dessert/lunch box treat - two fruits (drained) make up jelly crystals then pour over and set. you can even set it into containers for lunches.

Comment

Potato fritters - grate 4 lg potatos and 1 onion into a bowl and add 2 beaten eggs and flour to make a thickish batter. spoon into frypan and cook until golden both side, i do mine about 10cm diameter. serve with veges and tomato sauce.

Comment

Originally posted by Ready To Run View Post
                          Potato fritters - grate 4 lg potatos and 1 onion into a bowl and add 2 beaten eggs and flour to make a thickish batter. spoon into frypan and cook until golden both side, i do mine about 10cm diameter. serve with veges and tomato sauce.

yummo
                          i do these but i also grate carrot, zuchini, pumpkin, sweet potato, even throw in some corn somtimes. Oh and maybe bacon... They also freeze well, I freeze them and put in DS day care lunch box.

I dont add flour just grated potato , veg ect and eggs

Another one is cut up carrot, onion lightly browned in pan then add chops on top, slow cook until chops are done. Serve with mash! Sooo yummy, oh and cut off fat from chops!
                          Last edited by Everyday; 24-10-2010, 08:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Everyday View Post
                            yummo
                            i do these but i also grate carrot, zuchini, pumpkin, sweet potato, even throw in some corn somtimes. Oh and maybe bacon... They also freeze well, I freeze them and put in DS day care lunch box.

I dont add flour just grated potato , veg ect and eggs

Another one is cut up carrot, onion lightly browned in pan then add chops on top, slow cook until chops are done. Serve with mash! Sooo yummy, oh and cut off fat from chops!
                            Oohh yum, that is a great idea, might make them for lunch

Comment

Easy bread & butter custard my mum used to make myself & 2 brothers

Spread two pieces of either bread or fruit loaf with marg cut up roughly into quarters or a little more and put into an small oven proof dish.
                              Mix one cup of milk and one egg together poor over the bread in the dish
                              optional of a small sprinkle of sugar or cinamon/nutmeg.
                              Cook for about 15mins and serve as is or with some cream/icecream

**2pieces of bread to every one cup of milk and 1 egg.

Comment

Originally posted by danni3 View Post
                                we make our own garlic bread, all you need is a clove of garlic (even the el cheapo jars of already crushed garlic are less than $2 and last months ) mix it with some melted butter and then toast the bread and butter under the griller we add in some oregano and rosmary but thats optional.

for $3 (the cost of an average small pk of garlic bread) we can do a whole loaf of regular bread dressed up as garlic bread and the kids *love* it.
                                Hmmm that sounds nice and we have a few of those crushed garlic jars in the pantry. Fresh garlic bread, yum, We're having pasta tonight too.

Comment

Working...
                                X