No announcement yet.

CSA/Centrelink ... Stress!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iam in a similar situation as you, my ex doesn't pay and he got sent the informaton for child support and hasn't signed it. I haven't taken it any further because as you have said it isn't really worth the extra money. Why should we be chasing the man, when he is the one that has ran of and we are the ones looking after our kids 24/7 he should be wanting to pay for his child IMO.

If i was to take it further, does anyone know who would have to pay for the DNA test, to provve he is the father? and is that the next step to take if he doesn't sign the forms claiming he is the father.

After reading this thread though, i think i will be ringing child support tomorrow and finding out more about getting him to pay, why should we be missing out on money because he is a stingy ******* that can't pay for his responsibility.

Comment

what interesting stuff...sounds like you deffo should get more than base rate.
      My experience limited but my husband had prob where he actually paid maintenance to ex before CSA involved and then she said he hadn't and asked them to collect...but she always had roughly about 400 dollars a fortnight...in single parent pension, parenting payment thing? and rent assistance etc...I don't understand how it can work that you don't get all this too?In fact she only going to get reduced payments if they find out she been fraudently living with someone and claiming and also saying my husband not paying her (she involved CSA and then refused to go through them- maybe that to do with getting the full rate?)when he been paying her reguarly since they split up and more than the govt say he has to too...I find the whole system mind boggling...we get different answers from every person we speak to in the CSA, Centrelink and Family assistance office...very frustrating...and we know flacking it cos someone has dobbed her in and we the prime suspects!! Seems they have very grey areas on lots of things and depends on experience of individual you speak to...Legal aid or a trip to a solicitor off your own back ( about 100 dollars for initial visit) may clear things up for you...and reassure you of your rights...
      sounds like you taken reasonable action - not your fault he not replying etc...there must be something wrong with their reasoning to penalise you for that...

Comment

Originally posted by squirtle81
        If i was to take it further, does anyone know who would have to pay for the DNA test, to provve he is the father? and is that the next step to take if he doesn't sign the forms claiming he is the father.
        If you want the test (i.e. your chasing him) you have to pay. Mentioned it before but I ramble and even I skim my posts lol

Well... I think tomorrow I will be having a chat with centrelink, at least if I call them I can update them on the situation so when they find out he hasn't responded to anybody it won't be such a shock.

If it goes badly, please be aware I could be mighty peeved off and this thread might get the full brunt! lol

Comment

For anyone saying its not worth the extra money to chase it up, my ex used to have to pay $700 a month for our 2 kids and he was only a cleaner. He has since cut his hours back and now pays $400, plus he has the kids quite a bit, every weekend plus half the school holidays, if i had sole custody i would be entitled to alot more

Comment

i've been havin issues wit my ex not paying child support and yesterday i spoke to centelink cos i'm considering goin bak to work for a couple of days a week and i asked them about not getting CS and how it affects my payments from them and the lady told me that because i'm meant to be gettin $423 a month CS that i dont get $74 a fortnight of my payment. But she said that in July they reassess (sp?) everyones payments and if i havent got any CS i may be entitled to a lump payment from them.
            its just frustrating cos its hard enough to live off what centrelink pay. but come tax time we should all be laughing cos the silly ex's that dont pay CS tax returns will be comin to us for our babies,

Comment

With regards to the difference - for every $100 you get in child support, you lose $40 of your parenting payment (pretty sure that's it), so if you're entitled to child support then it's definitely worth making a good effort to get it. The problem comes in when (we're told it's 50% of paying parents) don't put in tax returns or are self employed and fiddle the books, and only pay the minimum - the minimum seems like a cr@p figure that is less than a token.

When we were going through a really hard time financially I figured that I would be a lot better off if I moved out for a while and we seriously talked about a separation (in name) as CSA would make my DH pay CS to me (which is the same as me sharing his wage now), but I would also actually be entitled to the benefits of a pension (we don't qualify for benefits while living together).

PS I didn't do it as that would've put me in the same position of the people who rort the system which I always have a go at. We just refinanced the house and I upped my hours at work - not an ideal situation, but at least I continued being honest.

Comment

Just a suggestion..

You could contact your local Federal member of Parliament - depending on how good they are (and their office staff are) will depend on how much help you are getting.
                Usually, the good offices, will contact CSA and Centrelink for you and help you sort things out as well as let you know exactly what you are entitled to. If you feel like you are getting the run around from the agencies it might be worth a shot. You will just need to give them your details and they can make the calls for you.
                Be warned though, some of these office are not very efficent or helpful - on the other hand some are brillant (some of ex Centrelink workers in their office who really know the system well).Anyway - find out who your member is and give them a ring - you never know your luck.
                Catherine2

Comment

Originally posted by claireandbailey
                  i've been havin issues wit my ex not paying child support and yesterday i spoke to centelink cos i'm considering goin bak to work for a couple of days a week and i asked them about not getting CS and how it affects my payments from them and the lady told me that because i'm meant to be gettin $423 a month CS that i dont get $74 a fortnight of my payment. But she said that in July they reassess (sp?) everyones payments and if i havent got any CS i may be entitled to a lump payment from them.
                  its just frustrating cos its hard enough to live off what centrelink pay. but come tax time we should all be laughing cos the silly ex's that dont pay CS tax returns will be comin to us for our babies,

unless of course they have a debt to the tax office or only get 300 back as a tax return then they would be actually laughing at you iykwim

Comment

Ok, I called them today to speak to a Social Worker.. They were all busy and will call me back on Monday

Got to make a list of questions, otherwise I'll forget... and having mental block now. lol Is there anything that needs answering for anyone here? lmao

Comment

"Reasonable" means what ever Legal Aid seems the think was the best effort.

All that running around has finally told me that Legal Aid get to decide my fate, What should I do this year, How much money I will NOT have for rent/bills/food, How stress out should I get,... yep decide everything.

Which just makes me wonder Why The F I am still here!? I hate This Government and I'm starting to really LOATHE this Stupid country!

Comment

Nevermind, Told them all to go away.

Sorry you all had to put up with it.

Comment

Working...
                        X