Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epi Pen dilemma

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Epi Pen dilemma

    I took DS to a GP to get his epi pen script refilled and explained, in some detail, that he needs more than one as he is in f/t child care.

    Anyways, the epi pens have just expired and I went to get the prescription filled and they told me there was only one on the script FFS.. I sat around that doctors surgery for hours for that bloomin script.

    Does anyone know if I can just call the GP and get them to change it or do I have to go through all that waiting again when they didn't listen in the first place and I'm worried they will do it again?

    Or can I go to a different/decent GP who will listen or will it show I already have a script for one?

    Having two is kinda, like, life-threateningly important!!!

  • #2
    Ring them office & see what they say. If our GP stuffs up A's asthma meds, he'll wright her another script & leave it at the desk for me to grab.

    If you can find a decent GP who is taking on new patients (could be hard), go see them & get your files transferred.

    Comment


    • #3
      The pharmacy probably explained this, but depending on the strength of the epipen, the government will only subsidise one pen at a time, if written for the higher strength pens (.300) not the jnr (.015) Which means you either need to pay for the second one (about $100) or go back to the dr and say you have used the first one ( or lost it etc) and need another script. You will need to get the first script filled at the pharmacy before the dr can authorise a second script. If the dr had written it for 2 it would have become private and may have cost about $150 - $200 for the 2 pens.

      Comment


      • #4
        TripleTime, thanks for that - I certainly hope I can just call them, really it's stupid that they didn't listen.

        Shelbygirl, I don't really understand. Normally I just get two epi pen jrs on the one script and pay about $108 (I think) for the two.

        Comment


        • #5
          yer just cal them up and get the receptionist to pass the message on he shuld then be able to fax the script to pharmacy, Its standard procedure that any emergancy meds must be kept on site at any care facility he is attending so it shouldnt be n issue

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks lovelies for your replies, I'll call them today and see what they say

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Shelbygirl View Post
              The pharmacy probably explained this, but depending on the strength of the epipen, the government will only subsidise one pen at a time, if written for the higher strength pens (.300) not the jnr (.015) Which means you either need to pay for the second one (about $100) or go back to the dr and say you have used the first one ( or lost it etc) and need another script. You will need to get the first script filled at the pharmacy before the dr can authorise a second script. If the dr had written it for 2 it would have become private and may have cost about $150 - $200 for the 2 pens.
              Originally posted by Benji View Post
              Shelbygirl, I don't really understand. Normally I just get two epi pen jrs on the one script and pay about $108 (I think) for the two.

              You do what PP said. Prices vary depending on the pharmacy's dispensary fee & concessions.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TripleTime View Post
                You do what PP said. Prices vary depending on the pharmacy's dispensary fee & concessions.
                Ohh okay, well I don't think it'd make all that much difference as I pay full price as it is but I want the two on the one script as it's just more convenient and makes so much more sense than filling one, returning to the GP to hang around all day for another one and filling it again

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Benji View Post
                  Ohh okay, well I don't think it'd make all that much difference as I pay full price as it is but I want the two on the one script as it's just more convenient and makes so much more sense than filling one, returning to the GP to hang around all day for another one and filling it again

                  Your right it does, but no everyone thinks before aheah.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yeah, if you are paying full price anyway you should definitly ring up and try to get the script rewritten for 2!!! Sorry I just assumed the dr wrote a PBS script for you. Your pharmacy probably should have offered to ring the dr for you and get a verbal authorization to change the script. That's what my pharmacy would have done for me

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Shelbygirl View Post
                      Yeah, if you are paying full price anyway you should definitly ring up and try to get the script rewritten for 2!!! Sorry I just assumed the dr wrote a PBS script for you. Your pharmacy probably should have offered to ring the dr for you and get a verbal authorization to change the script. That's what my pharmacy would have done for me
                      Hmmmm maybe I'd be better off calling the pharmacy in that case, they tend to be far more helpful than GPs

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X