This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pennylane View Post
    Its great to see a chat thread for us IUGR mummys!!

hows Edwards weight going Julie??
    Wrong question .

After making heroic efforts to get to 9kg he has now plataued and there has been no weight gain for 3m, and he is taking less formula .

But he isn't loosing so I am gratefull for small mercys .

Hows you DD's weight doing? She had pretty good catch up growth hey.

Comment

Originally posted by naiwen View Post
      DS weighed about that at 4m corrected (when he was acutally 4m he was about 2kg LOL).

I know it is scary but hopefully they will come up with ways to help his weight, maybe add a fortifier to his bottles?

thanks, whats a fortifier?
      he has recently been changed to neocate prescribed formula due to suspected intolerances/allergies but are still waiting for his blood test results to come back...

Comment

Originally posted by lovelymum View Post
        Glad to hear things are looking up!! We are seeing speech path/dietician (feeding clinic) on Friday so hopefully things may be on the up and up for my little lady!! The only thing that stops me going insane is that she still drinks 2 bottles of formula every day (although I only just started her back on formula 8 weeks ago after we found out she is anemic wish I had have kept her on it after she hit 12 months but I listend to MCHN advice - even though she still was not eating any solid food ) hope they dont bust my chops about it on Friday because I dont think I am prepared to give up the bottle its all that stands between me and sanity and I just dont want to argue with them about the politics of bottle feeding toddlers (yeh yeh I know your not supposed to do it but I am sure when she's 21 she wont be drinking milk from a bottle )
        Just ignore the eejits that tell you they must be off bottles at 12m or all their teeth will fall out .

Total bullcr"p, DS is two, still has 4 bottles a day, has all his teeth with no caires and has them because other wise he would be dropping percentiles even faster than he already is.

What works for chubby, eat lots of food normal kids does not work for out petite munchkins .

Comment

Originally posted by TattooMummy View Post
          thanks, whats a fortifier?
          he has recently been changed to neocate prescribed formula due to suspected intolerances/allergies but are still waiting for his blood test results to come back...
          It's just a powder (like polyjoule, duocal etc) that you can add to formula to increase the calories in there.

But hopefully your DS will start stacking on the weight now he is on a formula he can acutally tolerate .

OK so a general question for you lovely ladies , what percentiles are your little ones one.

Just thought we would do a survey .

Comment

It's just a powder (like polyjoule, duocal etc) that you can add to formula to increase the calories in there.

But hopefully your DS will start stacking on the weight now he is on a formula he can acutally tolerate .

OK so a general question for you lovely ladies , what percentiles are your little ones one.

Just thought we would do a survey .
            ok i might ask the paed about this stuff
            he has been on formula since he was 10 days old, so he should have stacked on more weight than this??

Comment

DS isnt even on the charts, never has been
              but where the marks have been made in his blue book for weight he would be minus -2 or 3 if that makes sense??
              Last edited by MissMetal; 18-06-2009, 10:32.

Comment

Julie, DD's only 9.3kg bare weighed,so not far off Edward! She's just started gaining a bit though because she was only 9.2 clothed 2 weeks ago,and she'd been that weight for months!!

She eats like a pig so its not getting food into her that a problem,its that she never sits still! we cant get weight onto her.

She has seizures now too so were trying to get that diagnosed at the moment

oh and Scarletts on the charts (finally) but only Just,and i mean Just lol on the 3rd for weight and shes on the 5th for height.

Comment

Fortifier

Our IUGR baby was born 3 weeks ago at 985g, and is now 1060g. So far she's been having only breastmilk, but if she doesn't start to gain more weight the doctor wants to try some formula milk (S26) once or twice a day, to see if that helps. Our doctor hasn't recommended a fortifier, and I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience with this sort of thing.

Comment

Hope4mum when DS was in SCN they added fortifier to my EBM and never gave him formula, EBM can protect premmies from NEC (a deadly internal infection) so I would be pushing for your bub to only have your EBM with added calories if neccessary.

How many weeks was she born at?

Comment

ok i might ask the paed about this stuff
                      he has been on formula since he was 10 days old, so he should have stacked on more weight than this??
                      But he hs only been on neocate for a little bit right? If he was on a formula that he could not tolerate then that would explain the previous lack of weight gain hey.

DS isnt even on the charts, never has been
                      but where the marks have been made in his blue book for weight he would be minus -2 or 3 if that makes sense??
                      LOL that does make sense DS is in the minus catergory too.

Originally posted by pennylane View Post
                      Julie, DD's only 9.3kg bare weighed,so not far off Edward! She's just started gaining a bit though because she was only 9.2 clothed 2 weeks ago,and she'd been that weight for months!!

She eats like a pig so its not getting food into her that a problem,its that she never sits still! we cant get weight onto her.

She has seizures now too so were trying to get that diagnosed at the moment

oh and Scarletts on the charts (finally) but only Just,and i mean Just lol on the 3rd for weight and shes on the 5th for height.
                      Well she is doing great! I am glad she eats well, wan't to swop DS is the same, mega active but has a tiny appetite also the cheeky money!

Sorry about the seizures, DS has febrile convulsions, not as bad but I have an idea how scary that must be!

Yay for her being on the charts .

DS is 25th for head circ, -5th for height and - 10th for weight maybe? It's hard to calculate when they are below the lines hey .

Comment

Fortifier

Thanks Naiwen, that's really helpful. I will push for EBM plus fortifier.

Our baby girl was 34 weeks gestation at birth, but her weight was more like only 27 weeks.

Comment

Hey DS was 29+6 byt about 27 weeks weight so not dissimilar to yours, I was lucky as the hospital DS was in was 'baby friendly' and not allowed to suggest formula unless there was no mothers milk available.

Babies can absorb EBM more easily as it is made for them (makes sense LOL) and premmie breast milk that you express is acutally really rich in minerals and calories and antibodies so the more they can get the better!

LOL now I sound like a nutty breastfeeding pusher but it's just because I know it's so good for premmies and giving formula can mess with your supply and your babies tummy.

How are you coping with everything?

Comment

Thanks Naiwen, I do feel better, lol.

I agree with the breat milk if you can- as I said earlier I would do Ebm top ups before I introduced formula. They are so little and sensitive I think formula can be a bit much for them to digest? The paed told me at her check up (must have been at about 8 weeks I think?) that she was not gaining enough weight and to start her on formula. I was really upset as she WAS gaining, just slowly, and she was healthy and alert and looked good, just small! The nurses I spoke to said that you need to take their start weight as a consideration- whereas a 4kg bub may be putting on 300- 400lbs a week that just isn't a realistic expectation for a 2kg bub whose weight gain is likely to be at half that weight. Use your own judgement, you will know if bub isn't getting all she needs and wet and dirty nappies are just as big a sign as weight gain when it comes to that.

Hannah started to go backwards in her weight at about 14 months, she became so skinny she looked frightfully small and people were commenting again! Turned out she was allergic to dairy etc and when she started on the elecare she took off in weight and looked good again.She is now on the 70% percentile for her weight (don't hurt me, lol!) but she is very tall and that's where she gets the extra percents. She was also not on the chart to begin with. So there is hope!!!!!!!
                            Last edited by MyFourCubs; 19-06-2009, 23:32.

Comment

Just ignore the eejits that tell you they must be off bottles at 12m or all their teeth will fall out .

Total bullcr"p, DS is two, still has 4 bottles a day, has all his teeth with no caires and has them because other wise he would be dropping percentiles even faster than he already is.

What works for chubby, eat lots of food normal kids does not work for out petite munchkins .
                              We had our appointment today and they actually told me to try to aim for 4 bottles a day! I got a shopping list of things to buy for her to eat which has made me feel a bit upset because it goes against everything I believe in, I need to let her "play with food" so we know she likes crunchy, crumby texture so I need to buy chips, cheezels, rice crackers, crackers popcorn I hope this is going to help her. I am glad that they dont judge as I was feeling bad that she seems to have a fetish for fish fingers but their shopping list makes me look like mother of the year!! So we are going to have a go with messy food play and "fast disolving" foods. All mushy food, meat, fruit etc is off limits for now. This is so challenging, I am feeling a little concerned that she has not gained any weight in over 6 months and clinic wants me to see our pead again and increase formula feeds. For our mummies with IUGR babies oral eating aversion in common so if you think your little one has an eating problem get onto your local hospital for help!

Comment

How bizzare!! I wonder what happens in a year or so when that's all she eats though? Hannah only eats flippin vegie chips and rice crackers and popcorn as it is. My fault, entirely for caving into her stubborness. At least you have a medical authorisation so it absolves you of responsibility!! Lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X