No announcement yet.

Can little girls flirt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My eldest is 5 and I don't believe she would understand etc. To be honest, it sounds like normal kid behaviour, playing parents off each other. My DF blew a raspberry at my 3yo the other day buckling her into the car. The whole trip she said she didn't like daddy, she loves mumma, mumma is her best friend etc.
    Originally posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Wow. No need to be rude. I may have had my theorists muddled but it’s still psychology 101 taught for all first year Psche students out there. I didn’t say OP should follow it to the letter, it’s more putting it out there for her critical thought. It’s called information giving.
    I don't think the reply given was rude, just to the point.

Comment

Can little girls flirt?

Originally posted by Mamasupial View Post
      My eldest is 5 and I don't believe she would understand etc. To be honest, it sounds like normal kid behaviour, playing parents off each other. My DF blew a raspberry at my 3yo the other day buckling her into the car. The whole trip she said she didn't like daddy, she loves mumma, mumma is her best friend etc. I don't think the reply given was rude, just to the point.
      Yes, I agree. It’s totally normal behaviour. My 4yr old daughter outright told her Daddy that she preferred me to him last week. This week she’s all over him like a rash. I do however think the previous poster could have been a bit more accepting of other people’s input. Jung maybe ancient history by now but it’s all still interesting to read about as he’s still a respected psychologist/philosopher. I also have learned experiences with this particular topic which is why I felt it relevant to add into the mix of others replies. I’m sure OP is capable of coming to her own conclusion.

Comment

i’m familiar with the works of freud, jung etc and i can appreciate their contribution however i believe it’s dangerous to apply their theories literally to real life scenarios in 2019. apologies if my forthrightness caused offence, it was unintended.

Comment

I’m going to go against the grain here and say yes, 6 years olds (boys and girls) can flirt BUT not in the sexual sense of adults. To them it’s innocent, usually a way of “buttering up” or getting the person they are “flirting” with, to like/accept them. The fact you have recently started pulling her up on her behaviour towards your dd, and given from the sounds of it other adults in her life don’t, it sounds like she is using this “sweet and innocent” flirty behaviour as a way to get on your dh’s good side and be seen as the “good” kid. Ultimately, she is trying to play you off against each other. What she is doing isn’t from a place of sexuality, she’s merely trying to highlight to him that she is a good kid and you are being a meany.

Ignore it. Guarantee once she sees it gets no reaction from you, she will get bored of it.

Comment

I feel really really uncomfortable using flirting as a description between an interaction between an adult and a small child

Comment

Originally posted by Mod-Wise Enough View Post
              I feel really really uncomfortable using flirting as a description between an interaction between an adult and a small child
              I don’t like it either.

Comment

In hindsight, 'flirt' was a poor choice of word. Just the quickest word that came to mind, which is why it was written in quotes on the title of the thread. Has raised some helpful answers from all, but was more about the 'playing off against each other' angle.

I saw someone mentioned 'buttering up' perhaps this would have been a better term as it doesn't carry the same sexual connotations, but I was referring more to the behaviours themselves than anything else. Didn't know if girls this age have figured out the concept of using their looks or the 'cute factor' to get their own way yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat1001 View Post
                  In hindsight, 'flirt' was a poor choice of word. Just the quickest word that came to mind, which is why it was written in quotes on the title of the thread. Has raised some helpful answers from all, but was more about the 'playing off against each other' angle.

I saw someone mentioned 'buttering up' perhaps this would have been a better term as it doesn't carry the same sexual connotations, but I was referring more to the behaviours themselves than anything else. Didn't know if girls this age have figured out the concept of using their looks or the 'cute factor' to get their own way yet.
                  ‘‘Twas me who used the term [emoji4] and oh absolutely kids of that age know how to use the cute factor to get their own way!

Comment

Working...
                  X