No announcement yet.

Body Image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry but it's not always as easy as diet and exercise, and a bit of empathy goes a long way.

OP if you are breastfeeding remember your body can retain hormones that deposit a layer of fat around your midriff. I was extremely frustrated after having DD2 by this until my physio explained it to me. As soon as DD2 was weaned it disappeared.

My body shows the battle scars of numerous IVF treatments and 4 babies. It's not perfect (probably never was) but in my 43 years () I'm learning to love it for what it can do. I'm still fit and healthy (not overweight) but am softer than I'd probably like to be. I have 3 daughters and it's important that I hold myself in high regard for their sakes as well as mine.
    Last edited by Sonja; 06-05-2014, 14:42.

Comment

I totally agree with Stretched's post. Most of weight loss is dietary, with exercise a bonus. While you can have good body image and be happy at any size, OP seems to desire getting back to a previous level of fitness.

What worked for me to get to a healthy pre-conception weight was calorie counting with the app MyFitnessPal. There was no food that was off limits, I bake a lot and have something sweet everyday, but calorie counting helped me be more conscious of my food choices and not mindlessly snack, while not restricting a certain food or fits group. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonja View Post
        Sorry but it's not always as easy as diet and exercise, and a bit of empathy goes a long way.

OP if you are breastfeeding remember your body can retain hormones that deposit a layer of fat around your midriff. I was extremely frustrated after having DD2 by this until my physio explained it to me. As soon as DD2 was weaned it disappeared.

My body shows the battle scars of numerous IVF treatments and 4 babies. It's not perfect (probably never was) but in my 43 years () I'm learning to love it for what it can do. I'm still fit and healthy (not overweight) but am softer than I'd probably like to be. I have 3 daughters and it's important that I hold myself in high regard for their sakes as well as mine.
        It is rare that someone who is dieting and exercising effectively is unable to lose weight. It's the getting ourselves into the right gear with regards to these things which is hard (breastfeeding, toddlers, housework, work, makes things difficult). Having this view doesn't make someone any less empathetic it just makes them realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by VicPark View Post
          It is rare that someone who is dieting and exercising effectively is unable to lose weight. It's the getting ourselves into the right gear with regards to these things which is hard (breastfeeding, toddlers, housework, work, makes things difficult). Having this view doesn't make someone any less empathetic it just makes them realistic.
          But breastfeeding can and does make a difference. I know because I've been down that path many times before. I'm not suggesting you weren't empathetic.

Comment

Nope, took me 8mths to lose a single gram. I walked 10km a day, everyday and ate perfectly. It can take up to 6mths for your metabolism to reset, so it's not always as easy as diet and exercise. Plus you need to be doing the right kind of exercise. Your body is smart, if you don't change it up it will anticipate the work its doing and well store energy.

Comment

Originally posted by IndigoJ View Post
              Nope, took me 8mths to lose a single gram. I walked 10km a day, everyday and ate perfectly. It can take up to 6mths for your metabolism to reset, so it's not always as easy as diet and exercise. Plus you need to be doing the right kind of exercise. Your body is smart, if you don't change it up it will anticipate the work its doing and well store energy.
              I totally agree with you: you need to do the right type of exercise. And if after 8 months of walking you only lost a gram hat would suggest walking alone was not the right type of exercise for you. As you mentioned your boys gets used to something and stores fat.

If you stagnate you need to kick things up a notch. Run, do interval training, introduce some weights.

OP: if what you are doing isn't working can you get a personal trainer to do up a training plan for you to make sure you are doing the right exercise?

Comment

I'm struggling right now aswell. I'm finding that I do much better if I have ready cut up fruit and veg to have as snacks so I leave the chips etc alone! Also every time I get hungry I drink a bottle of water first - makes sure it wasn't just thirst and also keeps my water intake up!
                I do pole dancing and aerial fitness for 2 hrs each week. It's great because I'm having fun so I don't realise I'm exercising. I always find the gym just depresses me lol. Have a think about something you enjoy doing like dancing, boxercise etc and find some classes that incorporate that so it doesn't feel like a chore and you actually look forward to doing it!

Comment

I totally agree with you: you need to do the right type of exercise. And if after 8 months of walking you only lost a gram hat would suggest walking alone was not the right type of exercise for you. As you mentioned your boys gets used to something and stores fat.

If you stagnate you need to kick things up a notch. Run, do interval training, introduce some weights.

OP: if what you are doing isn't working can you get a personal trainer to do up a training plan for you to make sure you are doing the right exercise?
                  Yeah I'd say the walking wasn't cutting it either.

I went from doing no exercise to running 5km 4-5 times a week. Within 8 weeks I'd lost 10kg. However within 8 weeks my metabolism adapted to that exercise and despite continuing to follow that exact same exercise plan for the last 4 months, i haven't lost anymore. It's very well documented that there's a weightless plateau.

Comment

You don't mention if you're still breastfeeding but like PP mentioned it can cause some people to hold onto weight. I've just weaned and, after struggling to lose a gram for 10 months, 3kgs have just fallen off in less than a month without trying. I'm sure some of that's been my boobs but most looks like it's come off my stomach. I didn't start to lose weight until I weaned my first either.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Comment

Working...
                    X