X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help? Crying game and baby talk

2 years (28 months)
    No
    How can you tell the difference what each cry means? Different pitch and intensity, as well as looking for other body signs

How does your baby or toddler let you know he/she is feeling when he/she is:

Hungry
    Verbally tells me what she wants, and/or points to her tummy, and/or drags me to the kitchen and/or points to what she wants.
    Uncomfortable Sad face, may point to a hurt or tell me something hurts.
    Fearful or anxious Big eyes, asks to be picked up or clings to my body
    Tired Yawning, rubbing eyes, may be clingy to me or ask for her dummy
    Angry Yells and hits out
    Frustrated Yells ("No") and may push away or throw the source of frustration
    Bored Wanders away
    Interested Bright eyes focused on task/object, smiles, reaches out to touch and join in, talks about it.
    Happy Laughs, smiles
    Contented Laughs, smiles, cuddles, talking about things around us.

Comment

3 (he) and 22 months (she)
      How can you tell the difference what each cry means?How does your baby or toddler let you know he/she is feeling when he/she is:
      HungryUncomfortableFearful or anxious TiredAngry FrustratedBoredInterestedHappyContented

Comment

4.5 months twin boys

No they are different
        How can you tell the difference what each cry means?
        Instinct and listening

Hungry
        Crys alot
        Uncomfortable
        Moves around and moans
        Fearful or anxious
        Has a worried look on their face
        Tired
        Rubs eyes and arms start to shake abit
        Angry
        Mouth scrunches up and starts crying
        Frustrated
        Crys get longer and louder
        Bored
        Twin 1 makes a Boo sound and Twin 2 starts to get uptight
        Interested
        There eyes just light up and stay focus and may even smile
        Happy
        Lots of smiles and squeals
        Contented
        Smiles, Squeals and laughs

Comment

Hi! Congrats on your pregnancy & good luck with your research!!

5.5 months
          No
          How can you tell the difference what each cry means? I think my baby has 4 stages of crying. This is how I'd describe the different stages (listed in order of increasing urgency): Whingeing, grizzling, crying & screaming. The different intensities are a good way of knowing the difference, but she also has a different tone, depending on why she is crying. Eg: she might grizzle when she is both tired & hungry, but has a different tone for each of these. There are also other signs that accompany each different cry, which helps identify the reason she is crying & you also get to know when in their routine to expect different things.

Hungry: Starts grizzling almost immediately.
          Uncomfortable: Wriggles & grizzles
          Fearful or anxious: Depends on how scared or anxious. Often it'll start with her bottom lip sticking out & a wail will turn into a cry or a scream.
          Tired: rubbing eyes, sucking thumb, long blinks, pushing her head into my shoulder, moaning quietly to herself & depending on how tired, she can whinge, grizzle or cry. Sometimes when she's overtired, it can work up to a scream pretty quickly!
          Angry: A yell! Sometimes a scream. It's a bit hard to judge this one at this age as babies this young don't really experience a true anger.
          Frustrated: Thrashing arms about, grizzling or yelling/crying, moving head side-to-side.
          Bored: scrunching face up, whingeing, wriggling
          Interested: wide open eyes, remains fairly still & fixated, unblinking
          Happy: giggling, smiling, cooing, moving about excitedly, squealing (has just started tis in the last few weeks!)
          Contented: happy to sit still on my lap, sighs.

Comment

Child's age: 2
            Definitely not
            How can you tell the difference what each cry means? Experience! Ditto what Supermum has said!

How does your baby or toddler let you know she is feeling when she is:
            • Hungry - Verbally asks for food, or grizzles until I give her some.
            • Uncomfortable - General winge
            • Fearful or anxious - Calls me and clings to my leg or arm, asked for a cuddle
            • Tired - a monotone whine/cry, rubbing of eyes
            • Angry - high pitched yelling
            • Frustrated - high pitched yelling
            • Bored - basic whineing and asking for cuddles or she wanders off and finds something more interesting!
            • Interested - happy, laughing, pointing at things
            • Happy - laughing, singing, twirling, running
            • Contented - talking quietly to herself, or singing, humming, cuddling

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Child's age: 8mths Girl
                      No very distinct differences
                      How can you tell the difference what each cry means? Having spent practically 24/7 with bub for 8 mths!!! I think instinctivly as a mum you know the subtle differences in cries- even before you realise you do! IYKWIM

How does your baby or toddler let you know she is feeling when she is:

Hungry - Smacks her lips together, grizzles and holds her arm out in front of her and up-side down claps (like the come here sign)

Uncomfortable - Whinge- moves around a lot

Fearful or anxious - Eyes give it away- and comes straight to me to be picked up!

Tired - rubs eyes, gets cranky/frustrated easily, will put her head down on things, cries easily

Angry - growling... clenching

Frustrated - as above also throws/bangs things down

Bored - ??? I am not sure- i guess just ???I really dont know

Interested - Smiles, gooing, looking/exploring items

Happy - Smiling, giggling, babbling etc

Contented - fairly quiet, intereested, snuggly

Comment

Working...
                      X