Curves...your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curves...your thoughts?

There's a new chain of fitness centres called Curves which are opening up everywhere in Melbourne at the moment. There is one now which is literally 2 blocks from me and I'm thinking of joining.
    It's a 30 minute workout for women and sounds ideal for me. I can walk to/from there and not have to worry about travelling/taking/leaving the boys.
    It's around the $60 mark to join and then $49 a month...any comments/thoughts?

I'm a curves member and it rocks! Only half an hour which includes your streches and I have been to 3 different centres and the staff rock!! There are usually 2 staff on (one to answer the phone and greet people and one to stand in the middle of the workout area and chat to you and give you help and advice)

AND they ring you when you havent been for a couple of weeks and say they miss you

Comment

Hey we have one here in SYdney right near where i live and i was wondering if it was worthwhile aswell...Is the $49 for unlimited visits?

Comment

I didn't like the cost (I think it is a bit more exy up here) but I have co-workers going who love it.
        One of them, however, also sees a physio who said he hates hydrolic equipment (like curves) because to get 'better' you have to go faster - which has you not doing the exercise as throughrally - thus increasing your chance of damaging yourself, rather than a gym where you start small and work up in weights and stuff.

That said, so long as you're doing it properly and it works I don't see a problem

Comment

Seekrit - Its funny that you physio has a problem with the exercise as mine loves the concept. He thinks you do less harm to your self by working quicker on a resistance machine than putting heavier weaights on a normal machine before you are ready. Each to their own I guess.

As for the other question - yes it is $49 a month for unlimited visits although they say you only need to go 3 times a week.

They will usually give you a 1 week trial if you go and ask, then at least you will know if it works for you and if you like the machines.

Comment

IMO they are great. I was going for about 1.5 months before falling pg and found it was already paying off. Another good thing is that they are flexible in that I have been able to suspend my membership for the last 2 months due to terrible morning sickness.

Comment

I loved it!!! i used to go all the time... but had to cancel my membership because of financial issues but i am going back as soon as i can afford it again!

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I'm going tomorrow morning to check it out.
                Originally posted by aggero
                IMO they are great. I was going for about 1.5 months before falling pg and found it was already paying off. Another good thing is that they are flexible in that I have been able to suspend my membership for the last 2 months due to terrible morning sickness.
                This was something I was wondering about. If I do become pregnant (3rd child scenario is still up in the air!) I was wondering if they would suspend/hold my membership...thanks!

Comment

Thats not bad, I wanted to join up at my local curves but the don't have a creche!!

I thought it was a bit silly being a WOMENS gym and all, you'd think they'd have a creche there for the mums, but nope. Another one has opened up a few suburbs away and I'm not sure if they have a creche or not, but it's too late now because I go to Fernwood! lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlet
                    Thats not bad, I wanted to join up at my local curves but the don't have a creche!!

I thought it was a bit silly being a WOMENS gym and all, you'd think they'd have a creche there for the mums, but nope. Another one has opened up a few suburbs away and I'm not sure if they have a creche or not, but it's too late now because I go to Fernwood! lol.
                    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any of them offer a creche.
                    I'm lucky in the sense that the Curves gym is literally 2 blocks away from my home, and with only a 30 minute workout, when someone else is home (be that DH, or my Mum/Dad - they live right behind us) then I can quickly be up and back before too much hell breaks loose!

Comment

My Mother has been at curves for a while now and LOVES it lol

Shes constantly winning prizes and all sorts of goodies

She loves that its all for women, coz she hates working out in front of men

All i can say is go mum im proud of you!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mamaduke
                        Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any of them offer a creche.
                        I'm lucky in the sense that the Curves gym is literally 2 blocks away from my home, and with only a 30 minute workout, when someone else is home (be that DH, or my Mum/Dad - they live right behind us) then I can quickly be up and back before too much hell breaks loose!

I wasn't too sure about the creche thing, I found it really odd for them not to have one.

It's really good that you have one down the road to you now, so convenient to just duck out for half an hour or so, I'd definitely do that if I could!

Comment

Originally posted by SamanthaJane
                          My Mother has been at curves for a while now and LOVES it lol

Shes constantly winning prizes and all sorts of goodies

She loves that its all for women, coz she hates working out in front of men

All i can say is go mum im proud of you!!
                          I'm trying to get my Mum to join as well. She's constantly doing things for everyone but herself - not too sure that she'll join though...she said, "but it's not for 'oldies'!"

Comment

I have one down the road from me too, easy walking distance about 2 mins.
                            Do they set you a program to target your 'personal' issues or is it just generally getting moving.
                            Did they used to be called something else? the concept seems really familiar.

Comment

Working...
                            X