This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a great question!

I know lots of athiests and they have all been very interested in debating religion. My FIL was a case in point. He was so angry with religion that not only did he call himself an athiest but he felt the need to ridicule the beliefs of others, and to force them to defend their own beliefs.

Did anyone see that documentary recently on SBS which told the story of the head of the Athiests of the USA? Now there is an interesting tale- and a woman truly obsessed with God!!! She met a tragic end unfortunately- and (surprisingly to me) not at the hands of a religious nutter, but just a criminal she had some dealings with.

For the record I am not religious myself, but heartily respect the right of others to belive what they will.

Comment

Originally posted by Love My Tommy Bub View Post
      so WHY do so many believe? Is there something they were told I wasn't?
      Yes!! We have been more than told, God has proven himself to us sorry that you haven't seen Him yet, but He will show you if you ask Him genuinely

I don't mean to offend your intelligence or anything like that, but the truth is no-one can understand why we believe unless they have seen and tasted Him for themselves

Comment

I don't ask questions for fun, I didn't go to uni and do a B.science to ask questions for fun. I have an urge to work things out, a NEED to understand, thats why I did so well at uni, and thats why this issue is frustrating for me!

Comment

Originally posted by borntobemummy View Post
          Yes!! We have been more than told, God has proven himself to us sorry that you haven't seen Him yet, but He will show you if you ask Him genuinely

I don't mean to offend your intelligence or anything like that, but the truth is no-one can understand why we believe unless they have seen and tasted Him for themselves

Just curious what you mean when you say "seen"?

My meaning of seen or seeing is I saw my dog chew a bone.. Like physically I can reach out and touch my dog and the bone. Is this what you mean? That you have seen god?

Comment

Did anyone see that documentary recently on SBS which told the story of the head of the Athiests of the USA?
            No, I didn't - when was it on? Sounds interesting.

Comment

countdown to a Mr Noodle sermon I reckon.

Waiting....

Waiting....

Comment

Well I watched it and I have no problem with her either...her "cause" is no different to the cause of "door knockers" (do they have a proper name...missionaries??)

Anyway let the faithful have faith in peace and let the un-faithful (hehehe )...have no faith in peace...

Geez that was a mouthful...I think you get what I mean though...

Comment

Originally posted by Shanilee View Post
                  Just curious what you mean when you say "seen"?

My meaning of seen or seeing is I saw my dog chew a bone.. Like physically I can reach out and touch my dog and the bone. Is this what you mean? That you have seen god?
                  I have seen visions with my mind which have been confirmed by others at the same time. Also I have seen Him move, much like you can't actually see the wind, but you can see its effect on things. I'm happy to go into more specifics if you want them

Comment

Tea Lady, it was less than a fortnight ago I reckon and it was just fascinating. It really showed (IMO) that fervor is all the same whether it be religious or anti-religious. They had athiests singing special anti-God hymns, and having special camps to do readings of books other than the bible etc etc. Anyway, this woman (Madalyn something) was quite a firecracker. The doco was called "The most hated woman in America". It was tragic that she was murdered- they killed her and her family for the non-collection money ( ) they had in trust for the Athiest lobby group.

Comment

Originally posted by borntobemummy View Post
                      I have seen visions with my mind which have been confirmed by others at the same time. Also I have seen Him move, much like you can't actually see the wind, but you can see its effect on things. I'm happy to go into more specifics if you want them
                      How do you know the vision isn't your imagination? When we want something so badly sometimes our mind can create it for us. When you say you have seen him move... What you think is god moving, I may interperate that as the wind IYKWIM.

I think life and religion is just perception and we choose what to percieve.

I dont think I am atheist or anything in fact! Probably still searching actually. I believe there is something bigger than me, I think I would be ignorant if I thought there wasn't something higher and stronger because otherwise where did everything around us come from? But I think I lean more toward Buddhism (although again I dont know enough YET to say) but just the basic principles make sense.

Comment

Maybe to understand where others are coming from.
                        What's the alternative? To simply say
                        "I don't know anything about God, except that I don't believe in him?"

Comment

Thanks nut.... maybe they'll show it again sometime

Comment

Originally posted by stellarella View Post
                            Anyway let the faithful have faith in peace and let the un-faithful (hehehe )...have no faith in peace...

I get what you mean, and I think it's very well put

Comment

Originally posted by stellarella View Post
                              Well I watched it and I have no problem with her either...her "cause" is no different to the cause of "door knockers" (do they have a proper name...missionaries??)

You know I really don't mind the challenges. I think they're necessary. If religion is a farce and is doing more damage than good, as some atheists believe, then I would understand and welcome the attempt to show this. They'd be doing the world a favour. While explaining experienced faith is like explaining colour to a blind person, questions on the internal consistency of a belief system deserve decent answers.

But one doesn't have to feel they should abandon the faith they have if they cannot adequately explain it as yet. A child, for example, might struggle in explaining why they know their mother loves them, but they know. A lack of ability to explain how this is so, or to prove it, doesn't mean they should stop believing it. It's not in the same category as 1+1=2.

Comment

I know nothing about almost every religion there is he he so if this is a dumb question then bare with me BUT

Is an Athesist someone who doesnt believe in ANY religion? And if that is the case for the Athesists who gather because their common interest in non-believeing in religion isnt that much the same as a religion?!?

This is me playing devils advocate....
                                Last edited by IheartOman; 19-02-2007, 15:15. Reason: Add on

Comment

Working...
                                X