Where did life come from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did life come from?

Now that we've moved to the next question in the "does it take 'faith' to believe in evolution" thread, how about we ask the question here? Do your research, share your thoughts, stand up for your beliefs or change them if you think you can't hold them any more. Or justify why faith is okay. You might want to debate. You might like to just share your musings, or your personal convictions. All in people, every man and women for themselves!!!

Where did life come from?

In my opinion life began on Earth from either;
    - God (or other supreme being)
    - Existing terristrial chemicals reaching abiogenesis
    - Passing comet depositing extra-terristrial organisms
    - Extra-terristrial organisms unlocked from solid meteors upon their impact with the Earth's Crust.

When you consider there is an estimated 10 billion, billion planets/stars in the universe and that our planet weaves up & down through the solar system on a near collision course with a heck of a lot of matter it's not entirely beyond comphrension for a piece of extra-terristrial matter to have become earth bound and life evolved from there.

However if this is going to be another rehashed debate of intelligent design vs evolution, the theory of evolution in it's simplist form states all life originated from a single point and evolved from there. There are many religious types who believe this to be God creating the Universe, Earth, Adam/Eve or Adam/Eve as a metaphor for first life.

Continuing on this point, why does the theory of evolution need to be proven wrong in order for some people to have faith in a supreme being/God? Even if evolution is proven wrong that doesn't mean intelligent design is right, it just means evolution is proven wrong and intelligent design still fails to meet even the most basic scientific requirements.

The question of when did life begin also isn't even relevent in the context of religion as most religions have the cornerstone of a God or supreme being already being alive to create terristrial life, as such life was already on the clock when earth came to light.

In which case, life has never not existed to actually need to begin, it's always been.

Comment

As JohnC (where is he these days? ) once said, there will probably never be an answer to this question that we could ever understand with our puny little brains, which gives us some fuel for spiritual experience (this coming from a Noodle-ian himself).

Actually...I think the actual question he posed was "where did all the matter come from in the first place?" For even if you could show that radiation traveling through seawater made a molecule reproduce itself , who cares?

you are still left with the question:

where did all the matter come from?

And as if we'll ever know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going for a chardonnay now instead. much more joy in that

Comment

Originally posted by alicesmum View Post
        where did all the matter come from?

And as if we'll ever know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Aha! That's where a heavy dosage of heavy theoretical Quantum Mechanics comes in handy!

The intial problem is, is that we don't know what the natural state of the Universe, or Nothing is.

What is Nothing is the real question.

A vacuum still has molecules in it, a black hole is dense matter, dark matter isn't Nothing. The chemical opposite of matter is anti-matter, which isn't Nothing. So what is Nothing?

Comment

I don't have time to debate unfortunately, but will just state what I believe:

I believe that an almighty God/Christ created life. He exists and operates both within and outside of human logic. He understands everything perfectly for exactly what it is.
          He is above and beyond all thought process.

Comment

Originally posted by Ethereal View Post

I believe that an almighty God/Christ created life. He exists and operates both within and outside of human logic. He understands everything perfectly for exactly what it is.
            Ditto

Comment

I can't answer this question. I cannot with any certainty say where "life" came from. And I don't think anyone else can.

Comment

I like to believe that God created life.

Comment

alien believer here

Comment

Originally posted by Ethereal View Post

I agree!

Comment

so if god created everything, was god created? how can 'something' (in this case i mean 'god', whoever that is to you) create something else if they werent created? which must mean god was created. so who did that?!

my head hurts

Comment

See I find Genesis a little confusing.

He creates humans and then tells them " be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth."

Then after he has a rest he creates Adam + Eve.

I read a great article last night to deal with door knockers who want you to convert. Tell them you are a descendant of "the other people", not Adam and Eve so it doesn't apply to you.

Comment

Originally posted by chellegoth View Post

I read a great article last night to deal with door knockers who want you to convert. Tell them you are a descendant of "the other people", not Adam and Eve so it doesn't apply to you.
                          will do

Comment

Originally posted by flowerpot21 View Post
                            so if god created everything, was god created? how can 'something' (in this case i mean 'god', whoever that is to you) create something else if they werent created? which must mean god was created. so who did that?!
                            Exactly, that's what I raised before too, if it's going to be said that big bang theory is wrong because there was nothing before hand and then pop there's a universe then the same thing really applies to God/the Supreme Being, how can there be nothing one day and something the next? Disproving one takes the other one down.

Comment

That's not the version I read.

Comment

Working...
                              X