How do you keep the faith?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you keep the faith?

I identify myself as a modern catholic. I don't attend church regularly but I am raising my children in the Catholic Church and do pray on occasion. It don't agree with some views held by the church but feel quite optimistic that things may change in the future, thanks to the likes of pope Francis.

Anyway, what I want to know is, how do you keep the faith? My granny is 97 and is dying a slow, painful death due to cancer and all I can think is that there mustn't be a god. Yes, she's 97 and dying is inevitable but why can't God let her go peacefully in her sleep? Why does she have to suffer?

I also wonder what kind of God would let terrible things happen, like the massacres in Nigeria for example.

I've had something happen to me that is a daily struggle to not tell it to the world, tell everyone how friggin disgusting the situation is. Why would God let that happen to me?

Why would God take my friends perfectly happy 6 year old?

How do I still have my faith?

Originally posted by HearMeRoar View Post
    I identify myself as a modern catholic. I don't attend church regularly but I am raising my children in the Catholic Church and do pray on occasion. It don't agree with some views held by the church but feel quite optimistic that things may change in the future, thanks to the likes of pope Francis.

Anyway, what I want to know is, how do you keep the faith? My granny is 97 and is dying a slow, painful death due to cancer and all I can think is that there mustn't be a god. Yes, she's 97 and dying is inevitable but why can't God let her go peacefully in her sleep? Why does she have to suffer?

I also wonder what kind of God would let terrible things happen, like the massacres in Nigeria for example.

I've had something happen to me that is a daily struggle to not tell it to the world, tell everyone how friggin disgusting the situation is. Why would God let that happen to me?

Because for all of the bad in the world there is so much good.

The bad teaches us a lot about ourselves and others.

When bad things happen, good often comes from it.

That's how I see it anyways.

I'm not sure if that helps you at all?

Comment

Originally Posted by HearMeRoar

I used to feel the same way once.
      Now I just identify as a non believer. I never judge others for believing, each to their own. For me it makes sense that these things just happen through no fault. Than for an all powerful God turnning his back on suffering that he caused or allowed to happen.

Comment

I'mSoSorry for what's happening to your Gran. If you can keep your faith in the face of all that then you're lucky, you can turn your troubles over to someone and get comfort. Hopefully.

Personally I don't believe in an all powerful god that controls these things, who pulls the strings and lets us flourish or suffer at random. If God is watching the things that are happening to you and your loved ones, I think he must be devastated for you. That's why i don't believe in an all powerful loving god, otherwise he wouldn't let it happen.

Comment

I believe in an all powerful loving God but I will always struggle with the fact that there is so much suffering in the world. The best answer I have from reading the bible / listening to talks on this issue is that we live in a broken world but we have the amazing gift of hope for heaven where all hurt and suffering will be gone. We are also blessed with prayer which has helped me in many times of anxiety/sorrow. Hope that's of some help...

Comment

hi hearmeroar. I understand your thoughts. so many times we get hit by these really bad events, heartbreaking grief, such sadness in the world. im also catholic, but with a wide acceptance of other faiths. my thoughts, these horrid things have always been the state of the human existence. people have always had pretty horrible things to deal with. I believe God is always watching, and He also feels our pain. He has given us His son, Jesus and by following Jesus we will be at peace with the tragedy of our lives. reading the bible, new testament. so we can see how much Jesus suffered, and how he had compassion and generously gave to everyone, what they needed at the time. it is not easy to explain, but I have found comfort and strength in prayer many times. I know this to be my truth, and I do know that anyone can also accept this as their truth. hugs, marie.

Comment

The bible answers this very well.

It explains that at present we live in a world under the control of Satan, not God. For a short period of time God is allowing this and human rule after his sovereignty was challenged in Eden. Even today many feel they know best and don't listen to God. Hence the problems we have in the world.

God never intended for us to die and by means of Christ's ransom he promises to remove death forever in the future and resurrect those who have died that he judges as worthy.

Satan and man are to blame for suffering, not God. He has a strong desire to remove all suffering but out of love he is patient with humankind in allowing them to trial doing things their way first.

Just another explanation according to the bible. That question u presented is a huge road block for many especially when the truth about what the bible really says isn't explained to them.

Comment

Big hugs. I lost faith a few years ago. Childhood cancer made me loose faith. Horrible things happening to children made me really mad with God for allowing it to happen. I found it easier to not believe anymore.

Comment

Working...
                X