Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7yo obsessed with God-NON religious family/upbringing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is the last newsletter from my children’s school at the end of last year asking for ethics volunteers. It says it only takes 2 days for volunteers to be trained. I wouldn’t really want anyone with only a couple of days training teaching my kids tbh so even if they got enough volunteers I’m not sure I’d choose it anyway. IMG_3358.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by BigRedV View Post
      There are ethics classes but not all schools have enough volunteers.

My kids do non-scripture. There is a demand for ethics at their school but no volunteers. They’re always asking for volunteers in the newsletter. The training to be an ethics teacher is something like 2 days so the delivery would vary. Scripture classes do not have to be supervised by a teacher from the school. In other words, if there’s no teacher in there, the scripture volunteer could be spouting anything. For this reason I choose non-scripture for my kids. They might be doing nothing but at least they’re with a qualified teacher from the school.
      Same for our school, the non-scripture kids just go to the library, which is exactly what I did for non-scripture when I was a kid.

Comment

Here is the last newsletter from my children’s school at the end of last year asking for ethics volunteers. It says it only takes 2 days for volunteers to be trained. I wouldn’t really want anyone with only a couple of days training teaching my kids tbh so even if they got enough volunteers I’m not sure I’d choose it anyway. [ATTACH]99290[/ATTACH]
        A friend of mine used to co-ordinate the ethics program at our school and used to teach it. Their not teaching kids like a teacher does...they have them for half an hour a week. Rather different than every day like a teacher, and the program is fairly strict. The volunteers aren't allowed to deviate from it at all. It's like a parent helper going in and helping out in class....they don't have the skills to write a program and teach the class every day, but they take instruction from people with those skills and assist with a program that was written by someone with the expertise.
        At our primary school the teachers divide and conquer and every group is checked on...however a teacher must stay with the scripture teacher at all times. They weren't allowed to be left alone at all as there is no training or formal program for scripture.
        Ethics also isn't aimed to teach kids how to read or write etc. My kids would come home with great topics they had discussed in ethics. Any kid who was misbehaving was sent back to the teacher, so the volunteer wasn't even disciplining the kids. It's a great alternative to scripture.
        Last edited by Full House; 27-01-2019, 20:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Full House View Post
          A friend of mine used to co-ordinate the ethics program at our school and used to teach it. Their not teaching kids like a teacher does...they have them for half an hour a week. Rather different than every day like a teacher, and the program is fairly strict. The volunteers aren't allowed to deviate from it at all. It's like a parent helper going in and helping out in class....they don't have the skills to write a program and teach the class every day, but they take instruction from people with those skills and assist with a program that was written by someone with the expertise.
          At our primary school the teachers divide and conquer and every group is checked on...however a teacher must stay with the scripture teacher at all times. They weren't allowed to be left alone at all as there is no training or formal program for scripture.
          Ethics also isn't aimed to teach kids how to read or write etc. My kids would come home with great topics they had discussed in ethics. Any kid who was misbehaving was sent back to the teacher, so the volunteer wasn't even disciplining the kids. It's a great alternative to scripture.
          It depends on who’s got the class. It’s only half an hour but quality of volunteers would vary. They’re not all going to be amazing, especially with two days of training. Parent volunteers aren’t teaching kids anyway, they are helping groups with the teacher there. It’s a bit different to an ethics volunteer. Plus we can choose the parent helpers we want lol! I’d rather there wasn’t any scripture/ethics at all and teachers can get on with teaching.

Also, it is not actually a requirement for any school that a teacher from the school is in the scripture class. If there’s too many scripture groups and not enough teachers then someone is left unsupervised. It happened at my children’s last school and I was mortified. The catholic scripture had no supervising teacher so the kids were in the literacy centre near the office as it was the smallest group. I called my friend who works for the NSW teachers’ federation and she says it is not a requirement to have a teacher in with the group.

Comment

It depends on who’s got the class. It’s only half an hour but quality of volunteers would vary. They’re not all going to be amazing, especially with two days of training. Parent volunteers aren’t teaching kids anyway, they are helping groups with the teacher there. It’s a bit different to an ethics volunteer. Plus we can choose the parent helpers we want lol! I’d rather there wasn’t any scripture/ethics at all and teachers can get on with teaching.

Also, it is not actually a requirement for any school that a teacher from the school is in the scripture class. If there’s too many scripture groups and not enough teachers then someone is left unsupervised. It happened at my children’s last school and I was mortified. The catholic scripture had no supervising teacher so the kids were in the literacy centre near the office as it was the smallest group. I called my friend who works for the NSW teachers’ federation and she says it is not a requirement to have a teacher in with the group.
            I didn't mean it was a government requirement, but it was a requirement made at our kids school.

As for the volunteers for ethics...it wasn't really an issue for us. Small school within a close knit community means I knew all my kids ethics teachers and hung out with them outside of school. I wasn't concerned about their quality of teaching.
            I'd rather there was no scripture or ethics as well, but ethics was a great alternative and once it came in to play non scripture wasn't an option. You picked scripture or ethics.

Comment

Interesting to read the various alternatives

At my son's school, a public primary in Victoria, there is no religious teachings. They do math, English, science, art, pe, computers, Indonesian and music. I think in missing one, but it's just basically the core subjects as at any school.
              There's never been any talk of, or communications about religious teachings. The school *used* to have religious teachings once a week where a church volunteer would come and give a lesson .....I chose not to attend (I went to this school, and mum gave me the choice In higher grades)... we sat In the divided off part of the classroom, and were given coloring, word searches, or time to complete research projects etc. I mentioned to my mum only recently *who* did the religious teachings, and she was gobsmacked! The lady was....of a questionable level of sound mind (literally.... to put it nicely).

Anyway ...Someone asked earlier In the thread about where the main interactions with this child would be....99% of them are at school. The friend used to visit our house occasionally, but not at the time ds was bringing it up...so those interactions HAD to have taken place at school.

And responding to other comments, I too hope it's a phase.... like my wiccan, and "black" (not goth or emo) phases 🤣
              Last edited by shadowangel0205; 27-01-2019, 22:54.

Comment

we too will more than likely send ds to a public primary school here in vic and i’m looking forward to the non denominational education.

Comment

7yo obsessed with God-NON religious family/upbringing.

I don't know if it's all schools, but we go to a public school here in WA and there are no religious teachings. There were when I went to school, again public, but that was a looooooong time ago, and from memory was only in year 6 I think.

We are very much atheist, so I'm glad about that. I am happy for DS to learn about religion, but to me that is learning about ALL religions and the various belief systems. Not having someone from ONE religion come in and teach their beliefs. To me, that is attempted indoctrination, not religious studies.

DS who is 9 has asked me about God, and I just told him that I didn't believe, but lots of people did. That there were several religions and churches and some believed similar things, and others were very different. I likened it to some people believing in fairies/Santa etc and some don't. And neither is wrong and it's up to each person to decide what they want to believe, and respect other people's beliefs. At another time he asked how the world was made, and I told him some people believe God made it, and some believe in science and evolution and told him about both theories. He asked what I thought, and I said evolution. He said "me too I think".

OP, I don't think it would talk to the school, I'd just nip it in the bud at home. If you have a large school, they may not even be in class together this year which can change the friendships out of class too.

Comment

Working...
                  X