Help me come up with a new name for "Non Scripture"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BbBbBh View Post
    I'm one of three primary ethics teachers at my son's school. I do years 1 & 2. We also have years 3 &4 and then the years 5 & 6. Next year a kindy class will start. I love primary ethics. Last week we worked on reasoning and I think our next topic is about 'fairness'. To become a primary ethics teacher you have to do a 2 day course and obviously have wwc and police clearance. I think it's a great alternative to non-scripture!
    Originally posted by Party of Three View Post
    Nah, it just starts at years 4,5 and 6 due to the amount of volunteers. We have ethics classes at our school from year 1-6 and the school is asking for volunteers to train (a 2 day course) so that t can be implemented in to kindergarten too.

I have no idea on names, but if you have the time to devote a little bit of time each week you could definitely get ethics up and running at your school.
    ahhhh...okay cool. I might start putting some more effort into agitating for Ethics classes at our school.

Comment

Free time?
      I could go for 'Indoctrination-free time'

:P
      Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 11-11-2014, 15:29.

Comment

Free Thinking? "So what did you do in Free Thinking time today?"

Comment

Originally posted by MissMuppet View Post
          Free Thinking? "So what did you do in Free Thinking time today?"
          That's one I have on my list
          Free thinking, or Free thought time.

Comment

Since you've done up a kit for him with tasks that he can choose from freely, maybe 'free choice time'. You could ask him which activity did he choose in free choice time.

On another note, I think it's great you've done up a kit for him! I used to sit out during scripture in primary school and it was literally the most boring hour of my day, it was non contact time for the classroom teacher so they made no effort to find anything interesting for us to do, we'd sit in silence staring out the window and as we could still hear what the scripture teacher was saying we were effectively still participating in the class.

Comment

Originally posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
              Since you've done up a kit for him with tasks that he can choose from freely, maybe 'free choice time'. You could ask him which activity did he choose in free choice time.

On another note, I think it's great you've done up a kit for him! I used to sit out during scripture in primary school and it was literally the most boring hour of my day, it was non contact time for the classroom teacher so they made no effort to find anything interesting for us to do, we'd sit in silence staring out the window and as we could still hear what the scripture teacher was saying we were effectively still participating in the class.
              Thanks - I have three kids actually with a 'kit' each

DS1 prefers to play games on the computer - and I have know issues with this
              DS2 LOVES loves loves to draw and the school seems to have minimal 'creative art' time, so I'm cool for him to draw all he wants.
              DD enjoys reading - and found all of the 'readers' at school on offer "boring" so she is zipping through some chapter books.

This is one reason I have been reluctant/reserved in really PUSHING for Ethics classes. I know it would be awesome to have on offer for the school, but I selfishly like that my kids can have a bit of their 'own time' doing what they love...because I can always help them build up the knowledge and tools to make ethical decisions at home.

If the principal wasn't accommodating with my request (I know some schools still MAKE the children sit in hallways, stare into space at the back of the classroom, or clean up messes) I would probably be more 'active' in my push for an alternative class - that or the removal of scripture lessons all together.

Comment

Or just go for gold and call it anti-indoctrination class. Seriously, I hate religion being taught as fact in schools. I'm happy for schools to include it in social sciences, along with every other religion, but hate the way it's 'taught' in schools currently.

sorry meant to quite your 'indoctrination free' post FITB

Comment

I'd be happy with 'the principals of Buddhism' class too

Comment

I've just put "freethought" into an anagram generator -- just to have some fun and maybe try and come up with something 'different'

...some of the results are brilliant!

Comment

Working...
                    X