Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me come up with a new name for "Non Scripture"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help me come up with a new name for "Non Scripture"

    Well, it's Tuesday - another Tuesday that sees my children, along with others labelled "non believers'' that go to "Non Scripture".
    My gripe with this is that the religious superiority waltzing into our public school seems to get away with 'scripture' being the 'default norm' -- and others are given the prefix 'non'.

    Each Tuesday walking home with my kids the twist in my stomach grows stronger having to ask "What did you do in non scripture today?"

    I want a POSITIVE name for this half an hour of their school time... I have a few I'm throwing around in my head, but am open to suggestions

  • #2
    Interesting question! Are you going to discuss the name with the school, or is this just for your kids benefit?

    What do they do in their time?

    My DS1 goes to non-scripture, but tbh I'm not exactly sure what he does there. Not much, from what I understand. Reading, drawing etc. I'll have to ask him tomorrow when he gets back from camp, and also for some name suggestions!

    Comment


    • #3
      Well we may as well call it: sitting in the back of the room reading while religion lessons happen time! Thats pretty much what DS does during religion.

      Comment


      • #4
        What is it that the children do during this time?

        At my child's school they run an ethics class (just called Ethics) during scripture time for those children who don't attend scripture. It's not a curriculum based program (as they're not allowed to offer a curriculum alternative during allocated scripture time) but rather an opportunity where children can discuss real or hypothetical situations and how they would do/react, what would be the morally correct thing to do etc

        Comment


        • #5
          It'll mostly be for me and my kids benefit --- but, hey if it is an AWESOME name that I feel like sharing I might suggest it to the school, they are after all always promoting 'acceptance'.

          They used to have to sit in another classroom and not do much at all, DS2 even came home telling me that the teacher supervising them didn't allow them to draw using the excuse that she 'couldn't find any paper' (riiiight) - after I protested this I have since put together a little bag that contains a chapter book, a notebook and pencils, some fun maths exercises and find-a-words etc

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by My Beloved Ones View Post
            What is it that the children do during this time?

            At my child's school they run an ethics class (just called Ethics) during scripture time for those children who don't attend scripture. It's not a curriculum based program (as they're not allowed to offer a curriculum alternative during allocated scripture time) but rather an opportunity where children can discuss real or hypothetical situations and how they would do/react, what would be the morally correct thing to do etc
            I love the idea of an ethics class! They should diminish religion from public schools and implement ethics class every week.

            Comment


            • #7
              A few of us are looking into getting "Ethics classes" at our school. It is quite involved.
              And as far as I know, at the moment only available for years 4 5 6.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bubbasmum View Post
                I love the idea of an ethics class! They should diminish religion from public schools and implement ethics class every week.
                I agree!
                I'm surprised that scripture is still offered in public schools, tbh. If parents want their children to learn about their specific beliefs, it should be done at home.

                Comment


                • #9
                  What about "free time"?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
                    A few of us are looking into getting "Ethics classes" at our school. It is quite involved.
                    And as far as I know, at the moment only available for years 4 5 6.
                    Nah, it just starts at years 4,5 and 6 due to the amount of volunteers. We have ethics classes at our school from year 1-6 and the school is asking for volunteers to train (a 2 day course) so that t can be implemented in to kindergarten too.

                    I have no idea on names, but if you have the time to devote a little bit of time each week you could definitely get ethics up and running at your school.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm one of three primary ethics teachers at my son's school. I do years 1 & 2. We also have years 3 &4 and then the years 5 & 6. Next year a kindy class will start. I love primary ethics. Last week we worked on reasoning and I think our next topic is about 'fairness'. To become a primary ethics teacher you have to do a 2 day course and obviously have wwc and police clearance. I think it's a great alternative to non-scripture!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
                        What about "free time"?
                        Non scripture is not really 'free time' as there are sooooo many things you are not allowed to do.

                        OP what about space time because really the kids have to just look into space.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Non brainwashing period? Haha, sorry not very helpful. I'm not sure what other name you could tag on though.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Free period, free play time, or quiet time. That's what it is, it's a free period for kids, unless they elect to do scripture that is.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BbBbBh View Post
                              Non scripture is not really 'free time' as there are sooooo many things you are not allowed to do.

                              OP what about space time because really the kids have to just look into space.
                              Originally posted by Ellewood View Post
                              Free period, free play time, or quiet time. That's what it is, it's a free period for kids, unless they elect to do scripture that is.
                              Quiet time seems more appropriate in that case.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X