Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **trigger warning** Assisted dying

Are you for or against?

I am all for assisted dying for those who cannot look after themselves anymore. I am not for assisted suicide for people who just want to die without good reason.
    These are just my opinions, and I would like not to argue my thoughts but i may learn something from someone else opinion. 😊

Comment

For it 100%.

Comment

For

Comment

For

Comment

For

Comment

For

Comment

Yes if someone has a terminal illness and there is absolutely no cure and this will let them die painlessly and with dignity. In any other circumstances, I'm not sure I would be for it. I think people would first need to rule out mental health issues, and a lot of counselling for the person and their loved ones.

Comment

No for me. While assisted dying would be an attractive option for the terminally ill, I feel it presents an ethical nightmare and is not something I can agree with.

For example:
                  What illnesses will be deemed assisted dying worthy and which aren't?
                  How terminal is terminal? 1 month left?, 6 months left? 2 years left?
                  What about people who aren't terminal but have an illness or disability that results poor quality of life?
                  What about people with mental illnesses or people who are suicidal?
                  What about misdiagnosis? or the people who live longer than expected?
                  More importantly doctors take an oath not to harm patients. I would hate for them to be placed in a position where they are required to end life.

Comment

Totally against, for so many reasons. It's against my religion for starters, shouts that 'we really can't be bothered looking after you' and is a slippery slope into the legal area of who can't, who can and how the test of 'looking after yourself' or 'terminal illness' is carried out.

Especially - and this is a major biggie for me - when there is going to be money involved. Again in so many different ways. People who want to inherit, old people who'd rather help out their family by dying and leaving the will so that they can buy property without inheritance taxes etc or leave them the family home, elder abuse ... the list goes on.

And yes, I've seen the very painful and slow death of a loved one. At the very end a 'friend of the family' suggested that it was cruel and we should 'put her out of her misery'. She believed that God would take her when the time was right, that was her call. She didn't fight that hard for us to do that, I don't think I've ever been so insulted on her behalf. Over 20 years ago, and I still remember the feeling distinctly.

I hope it never becomes a law here in Australia. People will always take their own lives however making it legal to kill someone in grey area medical circumstances is not a positive for humanity.

Each to their own

Comment

For
                      I can't wrap my head around people being against this to be honest.

Comment

**trigger warning** Assisted dying

Yes, for terminal illnesses. My father died in pain in palliative care and would have much rather died without pain.

Comment

totally for.

If I had a terminal condition .. where living is incredibly painful and quality of life is terrible ... I want the ability to determine when I have had enough.

Comment

For.

After watching both my grandmother's slowly lose themselves in dementia I wouldn't wish it on anyone. What is the point of having a quantity of life if there's no quality?

For the last 2 years of her life my nana was non-verbal and had no control over her body. She couldn't walk, had to wear diapers and be fed. Two years she lived like that. A newborn baby has more control than an 88 year old woman.

My other grandma cries on my shoulder when I go drop her dinner off that she just wishes god would take her already. And when she's crying that she wants to be taken that's when she's her most lucid - at other times she's asking how you got fresh vegetables because they're rationed because of the war, or telling you made up stories about when she was a school teacher (she was never a teacher).

Comment

For.
                              Watching my mum fade away when I was 14, losing her dignity, watching her pain, as she waited to die from ovarian cancer was so unbelievably unfair and cruel.
                              I think there are many legal issues to resolve first. But I also think we're kidding ourselves if we don't think it happens already.

Comment

Working...
                              X