No announcement yet.

Asylum seekers arriving by boat will not be allowed to resettle in Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I suggested a friend of mine who is very anti boat arrivals watch it. She said its one sided and said she still feels more for the people in camps without the money to pay a people smuggler

Comment

• I hope those saying Indonesia is "safe" watched it and saw what it's really like for genuine refugees waiting there.

Comment

• Haven't watched it yet, but I did tape it. Will probably watch this weekend.

Comment

• Does anyone else feel like they should never complain about anything in their lives ever again?

Somalia and Afghanistan are such a mess. That poor Somalian woman who had to walk for miles through the desert with her children to make it to the refugee camp and she was so grateful for her tiny tent. Somalia is probably the wost place in the world to be in you're a woman/girl. It is estimated that 98% of Somalian woman have undergone FGM and the most common type being practiced there is is type 3. You can then expect to be married in your teens through an arranged marriage that is a contract between your father and the husband (ie, nothing to do with you). I hope that woman had the protection of her clan in the refugee camp otherwise she would be considered fair game.

Am I the only person who wanted to smack Peter Reith in the chops then stomp on his toes when he was asked about the children overboard fiasco?

Comment

• Originally posted by pegasus View Post
            I suggested a friend of mine who is very anti boat arrivals watch it. She said its one sided and said she still feels more for the people in camps without the money to pay a people smuggler
            Think Allan Asher addressed this well at the end, differing views are fine we just need a robust discussion on the facts of this at a global level. I also think that with a better system that would be possible, it's the system that's broken not people's motivation. I also think that part of the point was to address the notion of the queue, people in the camps is awful, so awful that if you can get out you would, I wouldn't wait for a global bureaucracy to fix up this mess whilst my DS grew up in a camp. It's not as simple as registering and waiting, some camps as highlighted by both Somalias and Afghsnistans camps.

Comment

• Originally posted by pegasus View Post
              I suggested a friend of mine who is very anti boat arrivals watch it. She said its one sided and said she still feels more for the people in camps without the money to pay a people smuggler
              In what way does she think the show is biased?

Comment

• Actually that's a good question to pose to her bec. I will use that as an opener to another question. I'm pretty sure the answer will be because it put it to her that it puts the ones that arrive on a boat on the same level as the ones that are waiting in camps and that = bias, as the people in camps deserve higher consideration.

I know this is probably how I used to think, so now I'm more about how do I help educate others

Comment

• I really struggle with this, everyone's position sucks, there is currently no fair and equitable way we are able to distribute freedom to stateless people, I think people forget that all asylum seekers are victims of global problems. Ask her if she was in one of those camps if she would wait or if she would try to get her family to safety any way she could? The camp is Somalia didn't even have access the UNHCR resources as they were being blocked by militia, there is no registration for anyone there. Do they just wait? If so for how long does she think they should wait for?

Comment

• As horrific and tragic the stories are, there is nothing Australia can do to 'fix' the problem. All we can do is ask, "what can we do to help these people" and "how and where can we influence to stop/prevent situations like Somalia, Sri Lanka, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, again?" I don't think anyone in this thread is suggesting Australia can somehow fix the situations.

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
                    Actually that's a good question to pose to her bec. I will use that as an opener to another question. I'm pretty sure the answer will be because it put it to her that it puts the ones that arrive on a boat on the same level as the ones that are waiting in camps and that = bias, as the people in camps deserve higher consideration.
                    Sorry if I'm sounding thick but what you mean by "same level" and how would that make the show biased?

I have been thinking hard today how someone could believe the series was biased. The possibilities so far:
                    - They have picked worse case stories, ie, the stories depicted in the show of everyday Somalians and Afghans were not typical. (I would argue they were very typical.)
                    - The show didn't discuss any potential clash of cultures (separate issue)
                    - The show didn't propose any solutions (that wasn't it's aim)

Comment

• I don't have a problem with the program. But I hadn't questioned why others would say its biased. As I said, I haven't asked her, but I know she believes in the queue, and that people arriving by boat are doing so because they have money and therefore are "less deserving" of our assistance. So I thought (although I will ask her to confirm or deny my thoughts), that a feeling of bias would come about if you thought screen time was given to a side that was less deserving as opposed to the other refugees

Comment

• Did anybody feel like Michael smith was not genuine or just putting on a show for the program?

Comment

• Originally posted by BigRedV View Post
                          Did anybody feel like Michael smith was not genuine or just putting on a show for the program?
                          Yep I did and I think other participants did too.

Comment

Working...
                          X