Shortage of Sperm and Egg donors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TNTDAD View Post
    My opinion is that only hetrosexual couples with medical problemd should be allowed to access the donor registry unless the government recinds the laws that were brought in that made the donors disappear in droves and the supplies increase
    I think the donor should be able to put whatever moral limitations they want on their donation.

Therefore if a donor wants only hetrosexual infertile couples to receive their embryo then they should have that right. A different donor my specify only single women, or a homosexual couple of one gender or the other. Just whatever that particular donor is most comfortable with.
    If the donor only wants families of a specific religeon to receive their embryo, then they should have the right to stipulate that.
    If the donor only wants families with an income of at least $Xpa then they should be able to stipulate that.
    If the donor only wants people living in a specified area to receive their embryo then they should be able to specify that.

Of course, after the donation, the couple may split, or change religeon, or lose their job, or move to another area. Limitations on their future decisions should not be allowed, but giving the donor the right to put limitations in should attract more donors.

--------------------

Another thought I have had, is what about cadavers donating? I have heard that it is possible to extract sperm from a recently deceased male, so why not? Eggs from a recently deceased female might not be so easy, but perhaps they could harvest the ovaries and grow them in a chemical solution to cause them to bud so that they could harvest the eggs.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 24-04-2011, 19:12.

Comment

sorry just wanted to add that you do'nt get that much back from medicare rebate i suppose its better then when i first started ivf over 13 years ago you got $68 back and who can say who has the right to have babies we are all equal and here on earth for the some reason good luck to you all jojo

Comment

I didn't think they could take from dead people. They cant give consent.

Comment

hello sweetseven i do'nt that you can do that i think there would a war over that honey jojo

Comment

Originally posted by Kitten1979 View Post
            I didn't think they could take from dead people. They cant give consent.
            Consent would be in the same manner as dead people donating organs and tissue.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-anne.36 View Post
              hello sweetseven i do'nt that you can do that i think there would a war over that honey jojo
              Which issue are you objecting to? Both the ones I suggested could be deemed offensive to some.

My reason for suggesting allowing the donor to put limitations is I remember hearing of someone denying organ donation when his daughter died because he could not cope with the thought that part of his daughter might end up inside a man. If he had been able to be guaranteed that all recipients would be female, he would've consented, but the laws dont allow that sort of control to the donor.

I've also heard of people talking about annonymous embryo donations and not feeling comfortable with it due to the risk that the recipient would me someone that individual was morally opposed to. So if giving the donor the ability to put in a list of requirements results in more donors, then I dont see why not.

Sure it seems unfair to a potential recipient that gets skipped over because they dont meet the limitations some donors have put down, but by having those extra donations available it is still benefitting those individuals by reducing the competition for the remaining ones they do qualify for.

Comment

TNTdad seems to only care about himself and his own family.

Yes I do did you have to wait 2 years we did to access the registry than we only had 3 goes to get pregnant if not we were back at the bottom of the list again

whilst same sex couples and single women access the registry with no medical problems there decision is lifestyle ours is medical we should come first in this situation whilst there continues to be a shortage

Sent from my GT540 using Bubhub
                [/QUOTE]

Wow... So because you happen to be lucky enough to meet a partner that just so happens to be of the opposite sex that makes you more entitled to access assisted reproduction that someone that doesn't fit your narrow criteria??? Wow... I acknowledge that your journey must be frustrating, but its a little ignorant to refer to homosexuality as a lifestyle choice, just as single status for many into middle age is not exactly a choice either....

The issue that obviously needs to be worked on is encouraging more donors, not limiting who can be receipients.... just how, well that is the hard part.... I'm not very up on the status quo of international counterparts, but perhaps if we are importing sperm from OS then there may be something to learn from other countries systems...

Comment

I also think lesbians should find there own donor sperm than diminish the stocks in the donor registry as every pregnancy is counted as 2 by the authorities against that donor
                  But why? I don't understand your reasoning. Could you please explain it?

Comment

Originally posted by Kitten1979 View Post
                    You ladies don't seem nice. If you don't agree with something someone says don't say anything at all. Turn the other cheek
                    I think I've been perfectly nice. I'm genuinely interested in other peoples opinion and trying to understand them, rather than just repeating my own over and over again. Consequently you sometimes have to ask for clarification.

Comment

I also think lesbians should find there own donor sperm than diminish the stocks in the donor registry as every pregnancy is counted as 2 by the authorities against that donor
                      Why on earth are heterosexual couples more worthy of children. How about making it more attractive for people to donate, rather than making a judgement on who gets the right to get pregnant. How disgusting.

Comment

Firstly I would like to apologise for my last post. I was feeling sick and hormonal (great combo) and I let a previous poster get on my nerves (not just this thread, but this was the one I took my frustration out on).

Anyone that needs sperm donation to conceive is able to advertise and find their own donor in order to jump the long queues with clinic donated sperm. You don't need to be homosexual or single, heterosexual couples have this opportunity too.
                        Egg donation has been this way for years. Yes there are egg donors that donate straight to a clinic, but the waiting lists are huge.
                        It is totally legal to advertise for eggs and sperm (not for surrogacy unfortunately).
                        Another point that was made was that the donor should have the right to decide who the donation goes to. They do. Even with donations to clinics, donors can list their preferences for who should get access to their donation. So they can set age limits, race, relationship status, etc.
                        Cadaver donations would not be possible for egg donation. It would conceivably be possible with sperm, but the same as any other type of organ/tissue donation there would be certain rules about the length of time since death, type of death, etc that would probably make it hard. Not to mention the ethical problems relating to creating an offspring for a dead man. There have been numerous cases of women having to go to court and jump through all sorts of hoops to use their deceased husbands sperm. So while possible, I doubt that it would ever happen.

The thing that everyone needs to remember with the new legislation regarding the donor registry is only to protect the children. While many people don't agree with it (my DH included), it is in place to ensure that children can have access to their genetic history.

Comment

TNTdad seems to only care about himself and his own family.

Yes I do did you have to wait 2 years we did to access the registry than we only had 3 goes to get pregnant if not we were back at the bottom of the list again

whilst same sex couples and single women access the registry with no medical problems there decision is lifestyle ours is medical we should come first in this situation whilst there continues to be a shortage

[/QUOTE]

It would be great to get a response to my question:

Are you saying that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice? Are you saying being single is a lifestyle choice? What if you can't find a partner, should you then not be able to have children? What if you are a lesbian, how do you suggest that Lesbians have children?

Comment

My opinion has been expressed previously and I stand by it 100 percent I will not reiterate again go and find the post

Comment

My opinion has been expressed previously and I stand by it 100 percent I will not reiterate again go and find the post
                              I've checked the whole thread and you haven't answered the question. I just want to make sure I'm clear on your opinion:
                              Are you saying that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice? Are you saying being single is a lifestyle choice?

Comment

Yes

Comment

Working...
                                X