Shortage of Sperm and Egg donors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pinkymcg View Post
    Very good points all. For the record I was not sold on the idea of limiting - I don't think it's for me to tell anyone that they can or can't have a baby. I just know that there is such a limited supply of eggs and sperm that thought if there DID have to be limits, then one baby from donor egg and or sperm might be a way to go. Let me make it clear though that I don't think any of us have to right to say who can and can't have a baby.

I know in the US you can be paid for being an egg donor - I know quite a few women who have done it for some cash. Not sure how I feel about that.

the current limits are per family ....

so one donor can only donate to 5 different families. They can donate as many times to each of those families as the individuals choose.

so limiting it to 1 live baby per family isnt going to change anything.

I agree with others - the answer is in making people more aware of donation. Promoting that gift .....

Comment

Originally posted by KatiesMum View Post
      the current limits are per family ....

so one donor can only donate to 5 different families. They can donate as many times to each of those families as the individuals choose.

so limiting it to 1 live baby per family isnt going to change anything.

I agree with others - the answer is in making people more aware of donation. Promoting that gift .....
      Ah yes, that makes perfect sense. Of course limiting to 1 wouldn't make a difference! Stupid me.

Comment

Promoting the donation is actually illegal in Australia, in my opinion that wouldn't help at the moment because if donors having to register there able to be contactable at a later date and they obviously don't want this

As before the law changes there were 50 donors available in nsw alone after the introduction of the registry there was 5 what dies that tell you most men don't want to be on it

Comment

Originally posted by TNTDAD View Post
          Promoting the donation is actually illegal in Australia, in my opinion that wouldn't help at the moment because if donors having to register there able to be contactable at a later date and they obviously don't want this

As before the law changes there were 50 donors available in nsw alone after the introduction of the registry there was 5 what dies that tell you most men don't want to be on it
          You haven't answered my question though. Why only heterosexual couples? Same sex couple have medical reasons why they can't get pregnant (lack of sperm or uterus depending on the sex of the couple) - medically impossible for them to get pregnant.

I didn't know promoting donation is illegal in Australia - does anyone know why that is?

Comment

TNTdad seems to only care about himself and his own family.

Yes I do did you have to wait 2 years we did to access the registry than we only had 3 goes to get pregnant if not we were back at the bottom of the list again

whilst same sex couples and single women access the registry with no medical problems there decision is lifestyle ours is medical we should come first in this situation whilst there continues to be a shortage

Sent from my GT540 using Bubhub[/QUOTE]

Comment

If they have a proven medical issue than ok but not just because of there lifestyle choice

Comment

Originally posted by TNTDAD View Post
                TNTdad seems to only care about himself and his own family.

Yes I do did you have to wait 2 years we did to access the registry than we only had 3 goes to get pregnant if not we were back at the bottom of the list again

whilst same sex couples and single women access the registry with no medical problems there decision is lifestyle ours is medical we should come first in this situation whilst there continues to be a shortage

Sent from my GT540 using Bubhub
                [/QUOTE]

Are you saying that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice? Are you saying being single is a lifestyle choice? What if you can't find a partner, should you then not be able to have children? What if you are a lesbian, how do you suggest that Lesbians have children?

Comment

I changed my mind. I'm not going to argue with an insensitive a$$
                  Last edited by mrsdj1234; 23-04-2011, 21:10.

Comment

I'm not acknowledging any comment from TNTdad but would like to know how the person who suggested lesbians find their own donor, do that? We used American donor sperm from a clini, paid $1000 for one ampule, which is one insemination and received no Medicare refund etc. There was over 15 donors to chose from. I have pcos and the possibility of falling pregnant first go was slim.

Comment

You ladies don't seem nice. If you don't agree with something someone says don't say anything at all. Turn the other cheek

Comment

I am being realistic

Comment

I also think lesbians should find there own donor sperm than diminish the stocks in the donor registry as every pregnancy is counted as 2 by the authorities against that donor

Comment

Is that fair no it's not and have you ladies had to wait 2 years to start ivf???

Probably not if you had your opinion would be different to

you have a right to yours I have a right to mine there's no need or point to be narky

Comment

hello mrsdj1234 that was well said thank you us ips not only pay for a cycle our self and for the ed and the only way is to publice aware good lucky to you all jojo

Comment

I don't think heterosexual couples are more deserving then any one else. What makes a heterosexual couple more deserving than a lesbian couple or a single woman.Who says they will make better parents.

There are a couple of reasons why DH won't donate. If he did donate he would never want to know the child, he would never want the child to knock on his door and ask questions. In his opinion once he has 'filled the cup' it's no longer anything to do with him.

I hope to one day donate my eggs. I am not at that stage yet but I am getting closer to been able to do that. I also would not want to know if a child resulted because I'm afraid I'd always see it as giving up my own child. It's the same reason I could only ever be a gestational surrogate.

Comment

Working...
                                X