would you let your son wear a dress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would you let your son wear a dress?

so would you? if your son came up to you and asked if you could buy him a dress or something girly along those lines, would you let him wear it and wear it out? would you care what others thought or would you only let him wear it at home?

I take it you watched 60 minutes??
    Yeah I think I would
    when they are little it's mainly experimental
    my mum used to let my younger brother tie his hair up as he wanted to be like me, my other brother used to pretend he was a girl all the time when he was young too

Comment

Originally posted by Lisamd View Post
      I take it you watched 60 minutes??
      Yeah I think I would
      when they are little it's mainly experimental
      my mum used to let my younger brother tie his hair up as he wanted to be like me, my other brother used to pretend he was a girl all the time when he was young too
      yes i did. before coops hair got cut, he would wait for me to put it up in the mornings before daycare. some days i would find him with pigtails, others with pony tails, very cute indeed.

Comment

Sure. I don't see anything wrong with it. A number of my male friends wear skirts and my daughter sees this as something normal. So much so that she asked my brother if he was going to wear a man dress to his wedding.

Comment

i dont have a son but yeah if i have one i would just go with it. my kids wear odd clothes all the time.
          DD1 went through a stage of wearing frog gumboots, a green and yellow knitted poncho with hood and her sisters size 1 (she is a 4) green fleece track pants....man she looked funny but that's what she wanted to wear so *shrug*
          DD2 is only 18 months so not quite into many odd things but she does make sure i remember her mouse ears when we head out, she loves them.

the little boy infront use to have a purple fluffy backpack filled with his polly fashion dolls on ALL the time, he would get the dolls out and show them off at any chance possible...as far as i can tell it has not damaged him in anyway (he was about 5 and is now 14), he seems like a pretty confidednt young lad

Comment

If my son was in any way clothed, I'd be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by TabouliRasta View Post
              If my son was in any way clothed, I'd be happy.
              i remember when DD1 went through a stage of striping. she would have been around 18 - 20 months and i would be pushing along the pram and wondering why the heck people were looking at me funny, then would look down and there is my little girl with no clothing on her top half in the middle of winter if she could have taken her pants off she would have

Comment

id say NO i wouldnt let him wear a dress......i would not buy him one ...........

dressing up as games at home or preschool with dresses would be fine ..thats just playing and imagination.

but as for everyday clothing i dont believe boys should wear a dress

(but mind u if i saw another kid wearing one down the street id probably think it was cute hahaha)
                would remind me of the movie" big daddy" when the kid gets around wearing all the crazy stuff when he is alowed to wear what he wants

Comment

yep no problem here. If DS 4yo wanted to wear a dress he could. He has two different fairy dresses on the dress up box and a wedding dress and a kilt. I must admit he hasnt asked for one ever though.

Comment

I'll be honest - I don't think I would. I would have no issues with him wearing more "feminine" apparel, but a dress? No, except for dress-up games, I don't think I would.

I certainly wouldn't buy him one.

Comment

When my nephew was about 4, he wanted to go to the shops in his little sister's pink dress with his hair tied up. My sister took him to the shops in the dress

Comment

Yes I sure would.

DS had fairly long hair and we went out for dinner one night, while I was away from the table my friends did his hair in a pony tail on top of his head, he loved it, so I left it. The waiters gave us some funny looks. My friends did it because they thought I should give him short back and sides, and they thought I would be upset, it didn't bother me.

He also had a pink birthday cake and often picks pink things much to some relatives horror.

Comment

No I wouldnt.

I try to teach my son whats for girls and whats for boys. I agree dressing up games at school etc. is fine, but No I wouldnt buy my son a dress to wear at home or in public.

Comment

I thought those parents on 60 mins were very brave letting their son live as a girl, and the child did seem so much happier. I don't have a son, but would let him wear a dress if he wanted to (I'd just not make any comment about it and hope it was just a phase). My DH would be absolutely horrified though!!

Comment

No I wouldn't let him wear a dress out. I have no problem with him exploring gender differences by wearing one while playing dress ups or during play time but no I wouldnt allow him to wear one on an outing and I wouldn't buy him one.

Comment

Working...
                              X