X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bexta
    replied
    Originally posted by shanz View Post
    Is is grey water safe?, not that i use grey water yet, but it is on my to do list
    Originally posted by JimJamsMum View Post
    I assume it's greywater safe. I collect my laundry water (not from the nappies!) and put it on my vegie garden. I've been doing it for years and we're all still alive

Here's how you make your own laundry detergent:

What you need:
    - a big (at least 10L) bucket with a lid
    - a bar of soap (I use sunlight)
    - 1 cup washing soda
    - 1/2 cup borax
    - water

Grate the bar of soap into a saucepan and add enough water to cover it. Put it on the stove and heat it, stirring, until the soap has dissolved.

Once the soap has dissolved, pour the solution into the bucket and add the washing soda, borax and 5L water. Stir well until everything has dissolved. Add enough water to make up approx 10L and stir again. Use about 1 cup of solution per wash. Although I have a front loader and use a bit less than this. Everything comes out nice and clean although greasy stains tend to need some pre-treatment. It is soooo much cheaper than store bought detergent.
    Borax is NOT grey water safe

Leave a comment:

• babesimmo
    replied
    Me too! Eco-friendly is sooo GREAT!!! It can beat the environmental waste or landfill.

I use the face wash towels for wipe anything like kitchen bench, table, bath/toilet etc. There is ALOT of face wash towels in my full stack I decide to use them in the eco-friendly.

I never buy the sponge or cloth from the supermarkets that cost me buy more and more to replace after the damages. But they are the disposables from the supermarkets.

I am so happy to use the wash towels (doesn't matter the sizes) for any household cleaning that I can re-use it again after washing and drying out. I am happy to reduce the cost down from buying.

Leave a comment:

• sandy cheeks
    replied
    I have often wondered about car racing. I have never liked it anyway but the fuel, tyres and huge waste when they crash seems alot esp for one weekend.
    I have friends who have spent so much time in planes and now with the stupidly cheap tix everyone flys and way more that people ever used to.
    I wonder about the world we will leave our children and it scares the cr@p outa me esp at xmas and I see all the used and abused things people throw out to make room for the new cr@p they want to start hording till next xmas.:tree:

Leave a comment:

• kas_chat
    replied
    why should the chicks carry the load?

I have been thinking about things like the massive amount of fuel and emissions involved in the motor car racing industry and comparing that to the things I am doing at home... so I would say avoiding events that involve vehicles moving at high speed, especially when moving with only one or two people in them (for example I might consider a VFT to be a good idea if more people can afford to use it as an alternative to air plane travel) .... fireworks... yes I love them too but they must have some large environmental outputs, if i go to events, walk, or take public transport, avoid things like monster car and motor bike racing .... being a mother with two boys I am very aware of the impact their future hobbies and interests may have on the air we breath and the use of fossil fuels... hmmm... there you go... is this an issue for anyone else??

Kas

Leave a comment:

• ChelsLuke
    replied
    i wish we could recycle but we dont get the seperate bins options here and coutry area theres no recylcing depot in town, i do cans/bottle. I wait till i fill a trailer and take it to thecity but thats it

Leave a comment:

• ThomasMum
    replied
    Say no to plastic bag. Be dicipline about it! Bring reusable bags instead.

Recycle

When putting rubbish in the bin, do the right thing, put plastic in recycle bin, etc. Ive seen people still dont care about this sort of thing.

If you can afford it, get diesel/electric/hybrid car. Dont drive those that use lots of petrol!

And for us, one child only policy even when we can afford to have many. Pls dont be upset, this is just our opinion and our life.

:tree:

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by ChelsLuke View Post
    May i ask something without causing an argument? I tried cloth nappies and didnt like them i didnt think they were abrosbant enough.

I have always wondered is they are better? We re in a drought so using cloth nappies, wipes and linars, means alot more washing doesnt it? So its the lesser of 2 evils, landfills or water use? I have no idea if they had of worked i would ahve used them but now As i am alot ore water concious i often wonder if they are better.

Once again not wanting an argument, i have never used them, so i am asking those who do.
    I don't know if anyone has answered this, but basically

It's not so much about the water; its about the energy used to produce a disopsable nappy. If you ozclothnappies; Lara quotes that it takes as much energy to produce one disposable nappy as it does to wash a cloth nappy 200times.

In Australia 800million nappies are dumped in landfill each year; and most nappies take up to 500yrs to biodegrade (Even the biodegradable ones rely on being exposed to sunlight which mostly doesn't happen once burried in landfill in plastic bags)

Zerowaste (a NZ site) say it takes one whole cup of crude oil to make one disposable nappy.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The major eco-friendly things that I think everyone should do are

1. DO NOT USE DISPOSABLE NAPPIES

2. Do not use batteries(easier said then done, but we now limit our battery use to the car alone and simply don't use remote controls etc)

3. Limit plastics and packaging

4. Harvest as much water as you can and reduce the amount of water leaving your property (ideally no water should leave your property)

5. Do not use dispoables razors.

6. *** WATCH 'THE STORY OF STUFF' ON YOUTUBE

Leave a comment:

• ChelsLuke
    replied
    With using newspaper as weed matting its fantastic unless you live in a termite prone area, termites love newspaper and live in the ground when not eating wood. So the two are a bad combination

Leave a comment:

• kerstengeon
    replied

turn off the air conditioner if its not necessary to use it. start conserving fuels. recycle plastic bags and dump them in appropriate place. :tree::tree::tree:

promotional plastic bags

Leave a comment:

• traseal
    replied
    i seen on a tv show putting a 2lt coke bottle in your toilet so it doesnt fill up the entire way...good savings of water

Leave a comment:

• energymap
    replied
    there are some good eco-friendly ideas that can be followed for better result.

Wind Energy

Leave a comment:

• mumcha
    replied
    In reply to the cloth nappy question and lots of water. Basically you scrape the poo into the toilet (or use a biodegradable flushable liner). Most MCN inners are made from polar fleece and poo easily falls off it. Any remaining poo can be quickly rinsed and then you put the nappy in a dry nappy bucket and wash when you have a days full or a couple of days full (so for 1 child around 5-8 nappies plus 5-8 cloth wipes). You use 1/4 of your normal washing powder/liquid to wash the nappies or better still you use soap nuts that can then be composted. Since starting MCN full time in our household our wheelie bin is now only 1/2 full compared to being over full.

More Eco tips:
    Flush only for No.2 not wees.

Cut up card board boxes and use for note pads (write on the plain side) - hole punch and tie together for a large pad

Cover sturdy card board boxes (like nappy boxes etc) with scrap material (either from sewing scraps or cut up old t-shirts etc that are going to go in the rag bag). Add some ribbon and transform into a dolls bed for your littlies dolls and teddies.

Reuse fruit and veg bags when you go to the grocery.

Reuse bread bags and buy bread from your local bakery (support your community)

If compost isnt' your thing dig a large whole in your garden and deposit food scraps into it. Fill over and dig a new hole. You'll enrich your soil quality.

Use soap nuts - they can be used for almost anything to do with cleaning - from washing your clothes, to being used in your dishwasher or even as a shampoo for your hair.

Put white vinegar in your dishwashers rinse aid compartment instead of spending a small fortune on rinse aid.

Soak faded coloured clothes in a diluted solution of white vinegar overnight and then wash as normal - will bring back the colour.

When dying anything buy a natural dye.

Use old newspaper under garden mulch as a weed matting.

Shread your paper products (making sure to remove any staples) and either compost or donate to your local pet store or RSPCA.

Insulate your house.

Any bills you can view online ask the company to stop sending you statements - ie bank statements, telstra bills.

Leave a comment:

• ogilberry
    replied
    not sure if mentioned but the government is giving away free insulation up to $1600 which covers most homes with 3/4 bedrooms. We just got ours done by Simply Solar and cost us nothing and we got nice thick batts not the blow in stuff the other guy was offering which we have been since told attracts termites...

If you want their no let me know pretty sure they are Australia wide for this rebate.

Fee

Leave a comment:

• BJelly
    replied
    I reuse my old plastic bread bags

If I'm baking my own bread I can put it in an old bread bag.

Instead of using specially brought plastic nappy bags - I flush any solid waste from the disposable nappy down the loo - and then put the nappy in the old bread bag and bin it.

I use old bread bags to collect scraps of bread etc that I can't use for compost, but my friends chooks will eat them.

I also use them for disposing of cat poo from the kitty litter tray.

Also if I'm out and buy bottled water I keep the bottle if I can, so I can reuse it or take it home to put it in the recycle bin.

I keep toilet rolls for kids craft - eg you can make little binoculars out of them with some string and sticky tape.

I reuse my ziplock bags - just wash them out and dry on kitchen sink - I try to use them instead of gladwrap. I also use plastic containers instead of gladwrap.
    Last edited by BJelly; 02-02-2009, 09:09. Reason: remembered something else

Leave a comment:

Working...
X