X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kristi001
    replied
    Use a Sabco Valcume...

It would only save a bit of electricity but i guess every little bit helps!!!

Its like a brrom but its a valcume.. no batteries or anything..

Sounds old fasioned but trust me its Great!!!

Leave a comment:

• kiah
    replied
    Love your ideas. And would love for you to start a vegetarian thread with yummy food ideas.

Leave a comment:

• Kizmet
    replied
    use cloth nappies and not fill up land fills

Leave a comment:

• mel79
    started a topic Easy eco-friendly ideas

Easy eco-friendly ideas

Hi everyone

AFter some interesting discussion in the global warming thread i thought it might be a good idea to start a thread where people can share their ideas for living in a way that is more friendly to the environment. I think it would be good to focus on ideas which have minimal or no cost involved so that everyone can be included.
    Please share what you do that works!

I'll start with some of my suggestions from the other thread:

* The 'freecycle' network. You can get stuff for free in your local area!! Check out www.freecycle.org It's based on the idea of sharing - so please make sure you post your stuff that you want to get rid of - someone will come and pick it up from you - no cost disposal!

* Shop at op-shops and garage sales

* Save old cotton clothes to cut up and use as rags.

* Eat less meat - meat is not only expensive, but it's production is very damaging to the environment. I am happy to share some easy and tasty vegetarian recipes.

* Buy kangaroo meat! Our beautiful country is ideally suited to kangaroos - thats why they live here! They don't use up our water supplies or produce vast quantities of methane, and no chemicals are required to 'help' them or their food grow!

Energy-saving
    * Good quality curtains (you may be able to get a nice thick lining from a garage sale or op shop) make a huge difference to house temperature during summer - and even cheap bamboo blinds on the outside of windows will reduce the heat that gets in so that you don't have to spend as much on cooling your house in summer(try freecycle for these too!).

* Open all your windows to air out your house when it starts to cool down outside in the evenings.

* A damp towel on the legs or stomach is heaven on a hot day/night with a fan on.

* Deciduous trees outside your windows (particularly west-facing ones) are great cos they give shade in summer and allow sun through in winter, but they do need water for the first 2 seasons until they are established.

Looking forward to hearing more ideas!
    Last edited by mel79; 30-01-2007, 14:58.
Working...
X