Gardening for dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardening for dummies

So I'm wondering whether anyone here knows about plants - figs to be precise - and could give some advice.

I have this fig tree which I thought I had killed with my gardening prowess. Turns out I planted it badly and didn't water it enough. It's about two metres tall, five years old, few branches, mostly dead. I was pretty much planning to bin it, but then this morning I saw that the lowest branch isn't dead and has a green bud on its tip.

I'd like to rehabilitate it, but don't know how. We're in Canberra, heading into winter, nights are already frosty. Do I prune the dead wood? Do I wait? Do I work in fertiliser and water it now?

If you know about fig trees in a cold winter zone please hit me with advice. I really am as ignorant as I seem, please don't assume I know even the basics of fruit tree growing, whatever those might be 🙄

I'm not a pro or anything, just an avid home gardener and food grower.

I'd wait a couple more months so it's properly dormant before pruning. Cut off all the dead wood entirely. Fertilise it in spring.

Is it in the ground or a pot? A tree in the ground that age shouldn't need much water but a pot is very different.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMama View Post
      I'm not a pro or anything, just an avid home gardener and food grower.

I'd wait a couple more months so it's properly dormant before pruning. Cut off all the dead wood entirely. Fertilise it in spring.

Is it in the ground or a pot? A tree in the ground that age shouldn't need much water but a pot is very different.
      Thanks for replying!

It's in the ground. I didn't plant it well, it was a present when we first bought the house and I had no idea about plants (or even less), so just made a hole in the ground and stuck it in. According to google, which I unfortunately only consulted once the tree started to die, I should've made a bigger hole with better drainage and added manure or something.

How much of the dead wood should I prune in a couple of months, what do you mean by 'entirely'? Until I see living wood, or a certain portion of each branch, but not cutting into living wood? (Sorry if this is a stupid question, I don't even know if branches can be 'half dead'.)

I'm learning as I go. I just bought a decent-sized cherry tree, which I haven't planted yet because I'm trying to figure out how to do it properly this time.
      Last edited by Kalina; 19-05-2021, 14:56.

Comment

Working...
      X