Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid-19 (Coronavirus) Chat #7

Originally posted by Mum-I-Am View Post
    Did Victoria close its boarder to NSW really quickly? Genuine question not trying to stir the pot.

I think the super strict boarder closures have saved us in QLD a few times.
    They did close the border quickly, but I think NSW/Vic are more intertwined with eachother compared to NSW/QLD.

Looking at the border bubble communities alone, the northern NSW towns seem to mostly go to Brisbane/Gold Coast for those things only available in cities, whereas southern NSW very much so utilise Melbourne AND Sydney. The Vic/NSW border bubble also covers a lot more area.

I can't believe QLD has been so lucky thus far. Even your CHO is surprised.

Originally posted by atomicmama View Post
    They did close the border quickly, but I think NSW/Vic are more intertwined with eachother compared to NSW/QLD.

Looking at the border bubble communities alone, the northern NSW towns seem to mostly go to Brisbane/Gold Coast for those things only available in cities, whereas southern NSW very much so utilise Melbourne AND Sydney. The Vic/NSW border bubble also covers a lot more area.

I can't believe QLD has been so lucky thus far. Even your CHO is surprised.
    Oh we’ve been incredibly lucky.

Comment

How good are the numbers for NSW today! It's great that we're set to re-open with far less cases than a few weeks ago. Hopefully it means our hospitals will cope.

Comment

I clearly have too much time on my hands .... 😅 this makes sense to me but I don't think I'm going to explain it right....

Does anyone know if there's been a study done to see if there's a correlation between the severity of a person's illness based on the time lapse between time of infection and the appearance of first symptoms?

if there has been a study: the results might help drs predict how severe a person's infection could get?

Comment

Covid-19 (Coronavirus) Chat #7

I guess this is proof the vaccination works….but let’s send the ineligible unvaccinated kids back [eIMG_0093.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by BigRedV View Post
            I guess this is proof the vaccination works….but let’s send the ineligible unvaccinated kids back [e[ATTACH]106508[/ATTACH]
            When do you think it's reasonable to send kids back to school?

The risk for children is so incredibly low. While I would love to wrap my girls in cotton wool and protect them from everything in life, I think the impact lockdowns have had on them is of greater concern. On our way to school this morning, we talked about how exciting it was to see many of their friends again, dd2 was so glad she would get to see her teacher (his on site days never matched up with hers when we were locked down), and the biggest thing for them was that this is hopefully it for lockdowns - they can truly start to look forward to things. It's not natural for kids to go through life unable to get excited about any plans because we may go back into lockdown overnight.

I'm concerned about the lives that will be lost and for the people that will end up with longterm health issues, but gosh I'm ready to have some normality back. If others want to stay home, feel free.

Comment

I’m more than happy to send DS back, covid will be around for years so we just have to learn live with it , I think DS is worse mentally and physically staying at home
              We now know 4 kids under 12 who have it or have had covid and all thankfully just had normal cold like symptoms lasting a few days, one (2 year old) had no symptoms at all , all got it from their parents or grandparents

Comment

I think it is dependant on the individual child. If I had a kid with any form of lung/heart disease I would be terrified about school going back. While the average healthy kid will probably be fine those with health issues are sitting ducks.

DD1 has asthma and I’m pretty scared so I can’t imagine how someone with a more serious condition would be feeling.

Comment

it’s time to get back to normal and just accept this as a part of life. i read an article today about life in the UK and it’s just business as usual. australia needs to get out of the brace position and just get on with it. these lockdowns harm business, livelihoods and mental health. for most people, covid is not a massive health risk. and for those that it is, are not fully protected from covid with lockdowns anyway.

it’ll be interesting to see what happens in wa in the mid to long term. i saw an article about barnaby likening wa to north korea and mark mcgowan was breathing fire. whilst i fully get why mark has locked the state down with a hard border, i question how sustainable the policy is and what his next move will be when delta eventually seeps in. because it will, most likely. i almost get the sense they’re holding off the inevitable, but then to knowingly infect his state would be lunacy as well. anyway it’ll be interesting to see how things play out.

Comment

I can guarantee you that every teacher is desperate to get back into the classroom.

Comment

There are also a lot of school closures that you don’t get told about.

Comment

Just bought a $48 microwave from big w for my classroom as we aren’t allowed to eat in the staff room [emoji849]

Comment

Originally posted by atomicmama View Post
                          When do you think it's reasonable to send kids back to school?

The risk for children is so incredibly low. While I would love to wrap my girls in cotton wool and protect them from everything in life, I think the impact lockdowns have had on them is of greater concern. On our way to school this morning, we talked about how exciting it was to see many of their friends again, dd2 was so glad she would get to see her teacher (his on site days never matched up with hers when we were locked down), and the biggest thing for them was that this is hopefully it for lockdowns - they can truly start to look forward to things. It's not natural for kids to go through life unable to get excited about any plans because we may go back into lockdown overnight.

I'm concerned about the lives that will be lost and for the people that will end up with longterm health issues, but gosh I'm ready to have some normality back. If others want to stay home, feel free.
                          The paed wards in America are filling up pretty quickly.

They have said less than 2% of children here end up in hospital and that transmission has been low. But that data is from after the 26/6 when we were in lockdown and schools were at 5% capacity.

Yes, vax rates have increased in all other age groups don’t think the friend bubble can be dismissed in the number of cases in children.

Comment

I went to Westfields today for the first time since July! It was like Xmas eve it was so busy!

Comment

Originally posted by Mum-I-Am View Post
                              I think it is dependant on the individual child. If I had a kid with any form of lung/heart disease I would be terrified about school going back. While the average healthy kid will probably be fine those with health issues are sitting ducks.

DD1 has asthma and I’m pretty scared so I can’t imagine how someone with a more serious condition would be feeling.
                              DS has a cardiology appointment next month where I'll be asking in more detail about what they can tell us. Last time they said it would be fine but that was a year ago and before Delta. He has bicuspid aortic valve and so far it functions fine. I so worry though that if he gets it, it will shorten the health of his heart and he will need treatment earlier.

Comment

Working...
                              X