Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

COVID-19 (Coronavirus) chat #4

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    Pandemic parental burn out...I think a lot of us are feeling this to an extent.

    I like this quote:
    "Good enough, or even slightly crap and that’s okay, should be the new pandemic parenting mantra."

    https://womensagenda.com.au/life/jug...ure-not-alone/
    i was going to share this too!! it summarizes it perfectly for all of us.

    Comment


    • COVID-19 (Coronavirus) chat #4

      Four week count down to when DH ‘should’ get home starts [emoji51] and then he will be home for 3 weeks and then away again for who knows how long [emoji24] FU covid [emoji36]

      Comment


      • I’m getting frustrated that the management of this situation is getting very political. At the start I was pleasantly surprised that the focus was on doing the right thing for the country. Now it seems to be about doing the things that will score the most political points. Sigh. It was nice while it lasted.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by babyno1onboard View Post
          I’m getting frustrated that the management of this situation is getting very political. At the start I was pleasantly surprised that the focus was on doing the right thing for the country. Now it seems to be about doing the things that will score the most political points. Sigh. It was nice while it lasted.
          i’ve noticed this lately too. it’s really bothering me. scomo undermining dan, trying to make anastasia look bad, her biting back calling him a bully etc etc. come on guys! lead! don’t stoop to the level of political mud slinging and point scoring!!

          totally unrelated to covid, but how do queenslanders pronounce your premier’s name? i’ve heard it pronounced pala-shay in the media. it’s a polish surname and that’s most certainly not how it should be pronounced. makes me wonder whether she’s “australianized” it to make it easier or whether the media are just butchering it??

          Comment


          • [MENTION=137853]turquoisecoast[/MENTION], yes, Pala-shay.

            What's the Polish pronunciation?

            Comment


            • Her dad was also a politician and his name was always pronounced that way as well.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by JustJaq View Post
                [MENTION=137853]turquoisecoast[/MENTION], yes, Pala-shay.

                What's the Polish pronunciation?
                oh that’s interesting!! it’s her name so she’s entitled to pronounce however she likes. i just wasn’t sure if the media had it wrong, in polish the ‘sz’ is ‘sh’ and ‘cz’ is ‘ch’. ‘czuk’ is pronounced ‘chook’, so in polish it would be said ‘pa-la-sh-chook’. it’s quite a departure from palashay. but her name and i’m happy to say it however she likes it said.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by JustJaq View Post
                  [MENTION=137853]turquoisecoast[/MENTION], yes, Pala-shay.
                  In VIC she’s known as play’n’stay [emoji23]

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by ICanDream View Post
                    In VIC she’s known as play’n’stay [emoji23]
                    i don’t get the joke? [emoji848]

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by turquoisecoast View Post
                      i don’t get the joke? [emoji848]
                      Guess Queensland was always the place for schoolies etc and then with the AFL boys/wives etc it was just a joke - maybe not such a funny one

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by ICanDream View Post
                        Guess Queensland was always the place for schoolies etc and then with the AFL boys/wives etc it was just a joke - maybe not such a funny one
                        ahhhh gotcha! hadn’t heard it at all!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by turquoisecoast View Post
                          oh that’s interesting!! it’s her name so she’s entitled to pronounce however she likes. i just wasn’t sure if the media had it wrong, in polish the ‘sz’ is ‘sh’ and ‘cz’ is ‘ch’. ‘czuk’ is pronounced ‘chook’, so in polish it would be said ‘pa-la-sh-chook’. it’s quite a departure from palashay. but her name and i’m happy to say it however she likes it said.
                          I've long wondered about why she pronounces it that way. Being the cynic that I am I assumed she had made it sound more, well, western European (French really) because that's less "different" for your average person. Because it's not really "Australian-ised" to sound more English, it's made to sound more French than anything.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Kalina View Post
                            I've long wondered about why she pronounces it that way. Being the cynic that I am I assumed she had made it sound more, well, western European (French really) because that's less "different" for your average person. Because it's not really "Australian-ised" to sound more English, it's made to sound more French than anything.
                            are you polish too? yes you’re right, it does sound more western euro doesn’t it. hadn’t thought of it that way.

                            i just don’t know how you get “shay” from “szczuk”.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by turquoisecoast View Post
                              ahhhh gotcha! hadn’t heard it at all!
                              It came from DH so quite possibly he heard it from someone at work and just ran with it - feel embarrassed now, I thought it was common

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by turquoisecoast View Post
                                are you polish too? yes you’re right, it does sound more western euro doesn’t it. hadn’t thought of it that way.

                                i just don’t know how you get “shay” from “szczuk”.
                                Not Polish, but from that neck of the woods and speak a related language so I know the "shay" is off the mark. But as you say, her name to pronounce as she likes.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X