This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    Is anyone else feeling worried that someone vulnerable and dear to them is likely to pass away during this time where funerals will be restricted to just a few people?

My boss is 80 and has been in isolation at home for weeks, but his health is declining (physically & mentally) and I feel so sad that he could pass away before I get to see him again and that I won’t be able to be at his funeral.

He’s been like a second father to me [emoji22]
    Yes.
    Both of my parents. My mum is 68, with a list of complications as long as my arm... My dad is 74 with a few complications. His breathing is terrible lately. He's been a smoker most of his life and I'm honestly worried there's something wrong but he won't bother seeing a Dr because 20yrs ago the anethatist before his neuro surgery said his lungs were great. [emoji849] he's not as healthy as he wants us to believe.

My niece is high risk due to a transplant, I haven't seen her in almost 12 months. We were supposed to be going there in a few weeks

I'm terrified of me, df or the kids....

I'm struggling internally with anxiety over it but putting on a brave face for the kids. I just want to hide away...

Comment

My bil just lost his gran and I know of at least two other friends who have lost a grandparent unrelated to covid. Hubby and I discussed the fact that if his grandparents were to pass the 10 person limit wouldn’t cover the grandkids, plus I doubt we’d be able to travel anyway as they aren’t local to us.

My Mum and Dad are trying to self isolate, my Mum is on oral chemo but has only recently switched from immunotherapy so she is having fortnightly bloods and having the nurse access her port to keep it clear so is still going out. Yesterday she complained about a lack of parking at a shopping centre and I told her to go to a different supermarket, and then mentioned being in spotlight to which I questioned her! We are regional with a very small amount of confirmed cases and most have now recovered so I think it’s hard to feel like the risk is still high.

Comment

COVID-19 (Coronavirus) chat #3

Some very good economic news for once.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-...90?pfmredir=sm

Comment

This is succinctly put.

"Amid a public health emergency that demands people stay in their homes and avoid moving around outside, while some landlords might be worried about losing rental income, many renters will settle for just keeping a roof over their head."

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-...virus/12157368

Comment

Originally posted by atomicmama View Post
            This is succinctly put.

"Amid a public health emergency that demands people stay in their homes and avoid moving around outside, while some landlords might be worried about losing rental income, many renters will settle for just keeping a roof over their head."

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-...virus/12157368
            Ummm some landlords are worried about losing the roof over their heads too? [emoji849]

Comment

Originally posted by babyno1onboard View Post
              Ummm some landlords are worried about losing the roof over their heads too? [emoji849]
              Obviously [emoji849] but there are more steps before they would end up on the street.

Comment

Obviously [emoji849] but there are more steps before they would end up on the street.
                So what point are to make then? That landlords should lose their own home so their tenants still have somewhere to live? If you’re so concerned why don’t you offer up your house for people to live in for free?

Comment

So what point are to make then? That landlords should lose their own home so their tenants still have somewhere to live? If you’re so concerned why don’t you offer up your house for people to live in for free?
                  That landlords should be realistic about whether they can actually afford an investment property before they go down that path. If people are sensible about it and there are less people buying IPs, that forces the government's hand to consider more social housing. When you're choosing to invest in something that is a basic need for others, it's no longer just about the gains.

There's not enough room in my house for more people to live, and we can't afford an IP right now or to cover the rent for another house for people as we're living within our means. When we are in that position, we will own our own home outright first and then purchase an IP that is not reliant on full market rent to service it, as well as having adequate savings to cover unforeseen circumstances.

Comment

That landlords should be realistic about whether they can actually afford an investment property before they go down that path. If people are sensible about it and there are less people buying IPs, that forces the government's hand to consider more social housing. When you're choosing to invest in something that is a basic need for others, it's no longer just about the gains.

There's not enough room in my house for more people to live, and we can't afford an IP right now or to cover the rent for another house for people as we're living within our means. When we are in that position, we will own our own home outright first and then purchase an IP that is not reliant on full market rent to service it, as well as having adequate savings to cover unforeseen circumstances.
                    So what about other businesses that have chosen to invest in something that is essential? Grocery stores, pharmacies, tradies, insurance providers, teachers, doctors, nurses - they are not being asked to provide their services for free or at a discount because their clients have lost their jobs. So why should the providers of housing?
                    Daycares centres have been forced to provide services cheaper, at least most of them can apply for the job keeper payment to support their business. They still got a rather raw deal IMO. Landlords can’t apply for jobkeeper to prop up loss of income and keep their business afloat. They still have to pay for insurance, rates, mortgages, repairs, utilities, body corp.
                    The expectation that small businesses should be able to sustain themselves for 6-12 months with no revenue and no reduction in outgoings is ridiculous. If businesses operated only if that were possible there would be hardly any businesses, in particular small businesses which is what most landlords essentially are.
                    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 18-04-2020, 08:49.

Comment

So what about other businesses that have chosen to invest in something that is essential? Grocery stores, pharmacies, tradies, insurance providers, teachers, doctors, nurses - they are not being asked to provide their services for free or at a discount because their clients have lost their jobs. So why should the providers of housing?
                      Daycares centres have been forced to provide services cheaper, at least most of them can apply for the job keeper payment to support their business. They still got a rather raw deal IMO. Landlords can’t apply for jobkeeper to prop up loss of income and keep their business afloat. They still have to pay for insurance, rates, mortgages, repairs, utilities, body corp.
                      The expectation that small businesses should be able to sustain themselves for 6-12 months with no revenue and no reduction in outgoings is ridiculous. If businesses operated only if that were possible there would be hardly any businesses, in particular small businesses which is what most landlords essentially are.
                      IPs are more akin to the stock market and investing in shares. If you put so much of your money into the stock market that it puts your own family home at risk because you can't weather the storm, you made poor financial decisions.

Comment

The problem is many of us have explained that we had planned worst case for our investments. We can pay all of our mortgages for 6m from savings but it would put us in a pretty average position. We don’t want to have to spend all our savings which we have plans for.

You seem to have a real issue with landlords. Why? We are just normal people.

Comment

Originally posted by Mum-I-Am View Post
                          The problem is many of us have explained that we had planned worst case for our investments. We can pay all of our mortgages for 6m from savings but it would put us in a pretty average position. We don’t want to have to spend all our savings which we have plans for.

And factoring in that some landlords have lost their jobs, or run small businesses that are shut down or are sole traders out of work. I don’t understand the hate towards landlords, many are just normal everyday people trying their save for retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Mum-I-Am View Post

I've never denied that you would be taking a hit, but would you be losing the home you live in?
                            No - great! You were responsible with your investment choices, haven't over leveraged, and you will see the gains again if you ride it out.

I have no issue with landlords, I've even mentioned multiple times that we intend to use the housing market as part of our investment plan in the future. I do have an issue with the way the government has encouraged many people to buy into something with their blinkers on, where they can see all of the money that they could make longterm, but ignoring the possibility that this may include times that there are setbacks. Because this form of investment relies on other people having something considered a basic need, the setbacks should come with even stronger consideration before you jump in.

Tenants should be paying as much of their rent as possible, but needing somewhere to live isn't exactly a choice, like it is for a LL to buy an IP. Without the moratoriums some states have implemented and without rental decreases for the short term, many people would end up homeless. If LLs can't afford the short term rental decrease, there are multiple alternatives they may be able to utilise before it reaches the point of them looking at homelessness. It also needs to be considered that those renting are generally going to have lower savings, super, success with loans or things of value to sell to make up the difference in what they can afford in rent and what needs to be paid.

It sucks for everyone, don't get me wrong, but if we're looking at one person being homeless compared to the other not doing as well with their investment, one is of greater need than the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Janesmum123 View Post
                              And factoring in that some landlords have lost their jobs, or run small businesses that are shut down or are sole traders out of work. I don’t understand the hate towards landlords, many are just normal everyday people trying their save for retirement.
                              Uh, that's my point? Landlords are saving for retirement, but tenants are just trying to keep a roof over their heads right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Janesmum123 View Post
                                Correct DH income has gone down about 40%. We aren’t sitting pretty by any means.

Comment

Working...
                                X