Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

COVID-19 (Coronavirus) chat #3

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • We just got an email from school saying remote learning starts Tuesday then from May 11, k-2 go back full time (combined they are only 45 kids so easy to do with plenty of room ) years 3-11 one day a week face to face (DS has Thursdays) and year 12 back full time - again we have tons of room especially with most other classes not there - I was hoping DS could go full time but they said the kids that do go back full time (for the other 4 days) will just be supervised doing the remote learning so I’ll just wait until they can go back properly and DH and I can tag team days at home or take him into the office

    Comment


    • Originally posted by babybeeno1 View Post
      This is why ds is going back to school on Monday when term 2 resumes here in SA. It’s not feasible for me at all
      Unfortunately in Vic we don't have a choice. All kids with an adult at home must stay at home.

      Comment


      • I’m in vic so I have my kids at home until may 8th, when I run out of annual leave. Then ds will be going back to primary school just on the days I work. Dd will still be at home, she’s in year 7 and is capable of doing her work without me there and I trust her to be doing it.
        I’m also working weekends so there’s no break for me right now it’s teaching or working [emoji24]

        Last week was ok but the last 2 days, ds has really struggled. The work load is fine (he’s grade 5) and the school has been great providing a video outlining what they are to do for the day each morning, but he has just lacked the motivation last 2 days and has ended up in tears/angry. I gave up today and just let him browse the educational website the school had posted instead, as he only had 2 tasks left to do which aren’t due yet.
        I had to try so. Damn. Hard to keep my cool today. I was so frustrated at him and also upset for him.
        All up he probably does about 3 hours of work a day, and our school is happy with that. They also said they can do it whenever it suits for the family even if that’s at night. They just ask the students to comment on their roll call post before 1pm each day. They have been really great.

        Comment


        • IMG_3314.jpg

          So I guess my daughter can have a few friends over for her birthday now!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by BigRedV View Post
            [ATTACH]103799[/ATTACH]

            So I guess my daughter can have a few friends over for her birthday now!
            I missed it. What did he say now

            Comment


            • Iso fun
              IMG_2777.jpg

              Comment


              • Adjustments.jpg

                I emptied the pool to give it an acid wash so it’s fill up time now. So this is today’s fun

                Comment


                • [MENTION=66469]shadowangel0205[/MENTION] this may help:

                  https://www.scarymommy.com/chart-hom...ours-by-grade/

                  It's about the min and max time by grade a child should spend on homeschooling activities in a day.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
                    [MENTION=66469]shadowangel0205[/MENTION] this may help:

                    https://www.scarymommy.com/chart-hom...ours-by-grade/

                    It's about the min and max time by grade a child should spend on homeschooling activities in a day.
                    Thank you. Thursday, I think it was, was great! Friday wasn't too bad. The teacher messed up the instructions, said to do page 35 of a photocopy but we only had 31 and 34 lol by the time she responded it was too late.

                    He's loving the PE aspect of our days which is good. Honestly, the stuff we are doing wouldn't take half as long if he focused.

                    E.g. he listens to a story about a boy fishing, the boy catches a huge fish who almost tips the boat over but the line snaps.....
                    So, you ask him what happened, he says "the boy went fishing.... but imagine if he caught a magicarp. It'd evolve into a garydos! Did you know I caught a mewtwo? Mewtwo is the strongest pokemon! It's a legendary..."
                    so you drag him back on task with "yes, he went fishing, but he didn't catch a magicarp, did he? What did he catch?"
                    - "just a fish. But mum.... Garydos is the strongest water pokemon....."
                    -" kiddo, it's school time. Please focus on your work. We can talk about pokemon later. What happened when he caught the fish?"
                    - "it almost tipped the boat over, But mum!! if he caught a garydos it WOULD have tipped the boat over, because he is the strongest. He's a huge water pokemon."

                    F. M. L. [emoji28]🤦‍♀️
                    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 26-04-2020, 17:19.

                    Comment


                    • That is so sweet [MENTION=66469]shadowangel0205[/MENTION] I think it's quite cool he is relating the story to something he is more interested it and knows more about.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by shadowangel0205 View Post
                        Thank you. Thursday, I think it was, was great! Friday wasn't too bad. The teacher messed up the instructions, said to do page 35 of a photocopy but we only had 31 and 34 lol by the time she responded it was too late.

                        He's loving the PE aspect of our days which is good. Honestly, the stuff we are doing wouldn't take half as long if he focused.

                        E.g. he listens to a story about a boy fishing, the boy catches a huge fish who almost tips the boat over but the line snaps.....
                        So, you ask him what happened, he says "the boy went fishing.... but imagine if he caught a magicarp. It'd evolve into a garydos! Did you know I caught a mewtwo? Mewtwo is the strongest pokemon! It's a legendary..."
                        so you drag him back on task with "yes, he went fishing, but he didn't catch a magicarp, did he? What did he catch?"
                        - "just a fish. But mum.... Garydos is the strongest water pokemon....."
                        -" kiddo, it's school time. Please focus on your work. We can talk about pokemon later. What happened when he caught the fish?"
                        - "it almost tipped the boat over, But mum!! if he caught a garydos it WOULD have tipped the boat over, because he is the strongest. He's a huge water pokemon."

                        F. M. L. [emoji28]🤦‍♀️

                        It's tricky because instead of being able to cater to the different interests and learning styles of students the teacher has to set something more one size fits all, which goes against all we know about teaching nowadays.

                        It's great that he is tying in his work with his prior knowledge/interests. You could potentially try "that sounds interesting! How about when you're done we can write a story about someone catching a magicarp that evolvea into garados?".

                        Can you bribe him with a Pokemon episode or a walk to play Pokemon Go when he finishes his schoolwork? Our PE some days is going on a Pokemon Go hunt on our lunch break. There are loads of fun Pokemon activities online too, I did a Pokemon treasure hunt in class that lead to a graphing lesson but a hunt around the housr might be a fun reward for completing work. Or a design your own Pokemon/evolution activity?

                        Comment


                        • Thank you both.

                          I know ies great he's making the link... it just causes us to take FOR-EV-ER to get tasks done because 75% of the time, he's off with the faries [emoji28].

                          I have found I can speed things along slightly..... the teacher might give examples of sentences on homophones, and they need to choose some, not complete them all.. just getting him to make a decision on something like that takes forever. But if I say "ok we are doing #5. Which "there" is right? *Their/there/they're going to be home soon.* Ok now #9, *my new car is parked over their/there/they're" ...speeds things along.

                          Bribing doesn't work. Our pe is even semi set. Well, 30mins is... 2x a week is a fitness circuit, 1x is throwing/catching practice, 1x is running technique practice and then 1x is whatever we choose. They do expect a further 30 mins of whatever. Usually we play with the dog or jump on the trampoline, ride bikes or scooters.

                          The only thing is, I'm never sure what his obsession will be. He swings between pokemon, transformers, beyblade and Minecraft. If you're lucky he doesn't mix them together somehow in the same conversation.

                          I am wondering if he's worried about doing it "wrong". Not that I've portayed that, or commented on it (unless to bring him back to task) but I've even said to him it's ok. He's learning, and you do make mistakes because THAT is how you learn. and so long as he tries his best I don't care if it's not right, IF he really tried hard.
                          Last edited by shadowangel0205; 26-04-2020, 23:43.

                          Comment


                          • So excited that my cleaner can start again next week [emoji120][emoji120][emoji120][emoji1360][emoji1360][emoji1360]

                            Comment


                            • Our daycare has sent out an email asking for proof of employment and details of working arrangements because they will have to start limiting places to essential workers etc. They are absolutions crippled by the new government payments and are trying to stay afloat. We are a big centre and had 2 ft directors and one was let go last week.

                              Why did the government do this? I don’t think they are the only centre struggling.

                              Comment


                              • COVID-19 (Coronavirus) chat #3

                                Originally posted by Mum-I-Am View Post
                                Our daycare has sent out an email asking for proof of employment and details of working arrangements because they will have to start limiting places to essential workers etc. They are absolutions crippled by the new government payments and are trying to stay afloat. We are a big centre and had 2 ft directors and one was let go last week.

                                Why did the government do this? I don’t think they are the only centre struggling.
                                It was a very ill thought out plan. Many daycare centres cannot get job keeper for all their staff as they are causal and been there less than 12 months and/or are not citizens or PR. What will happen when things open up again? They will be flooded with kids and no way to generate more revenue. This doesn’t end until the end of June, I think many work places will be up and running well before then.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X