What is too fake? Fluff thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think of it this way - you are wearing it to smooth everything so you can't see your underwear lines....nothing to do with sliming you down

Comment

Originally posted by darla87 View Post
      Ok

I meant for more of a discussion on where everyone else draws the line.
      For me..... I hate the feel of make up, I hate the feel of shape-wear but I am suppose to wear it to help hold my loose skin in place so it doesn't rub and get infected but I still don't wear it. I can't wear stockings and I don't shave.

I suppose you can say I am as natural as they come.

Comment

Women have been wearing shapewear for a very long time. A long time ago it was corsetry, and not too long ago our grandmothers would have spent a lot of time in gurdles. I'm absolutely fine with shapewear - it's just smoothing you over, it doesn't make a fat woman skinny.

I think too much fake stuff is not for me. I dislike hair extensions, mostly because I think they look fake. You can usually see where they join the real hair, whether they use beads, tape, glue, clip-ins etc. I'm just not a fan because nothing good looks fake (IMO) when it's OBVIOUSLY fake.

Same with fake nails. I'm fine with them... to a degree. I'm sure a pic will help illustrate my opinion...

If you're going with fake french (as everyone seems to)... here's an example of a good job that I'd not be too embarrassed to wear: http://cdn.sheknows.com/articles/201...h_manicure.jpg

Unfortunately, so many people have one that looks more like this: http://s5.favim.com/orig/54/awesome-...com-530228.jpg

Yuck, cheap and nasty.

Fake tans, bras, make-up etc... so good as it's all done well and doesn't look ridiculous, then I don't care what people do... people might as well make themselves look as nice as they can.

ETA - ON ME... I'm generally a pale-skin fan, but I HAVE had a spray tan before and it looked fine because it was a good brand that does green-based thus you don't look orange.

Otherwise I'm all about shapewear if the situation calls for it, good bras that do your boobs justice (They don't make push ups in my size). I've never had extentions, I don't really like false nails (not really something I'll ever be able to wear if I get work as a beauty therapist... not so nice to have nails stabbing you during a facial/massage/etc), I I love make-up and would love to oneday have enough to buy a proper good-quality corset to shrink my waistline (I've already chosen the one I want... lol).

OH - and I LOVE false lashes so long as they're not OTT drag queen style, and only worn on a night out or something... not just to go shopping (though individuals would be fine for that I guess).
        Last edited by SassyMummy; 18-11-2012, 19:15.

Comment

I love putting makeup on a little tan makes me feel better about my body I love getting my nails done an when I do colour my hair or do something different it gives me a bit more confidence... I hardly do any of this anymore but when I do I just feel good about myself.....lol I say if it makes you feel good about yourself then stuff what anybody else thinks

Comment

If you ask my DP anything fake is TOO fake. I really think the very vast majority of men prefer the girl next door look.

he laughed at me for putting a 'gradual tan' lotion on my glowing white legs and we have a joke now that I'll turn into a dorito.

Comment

Anything that makes me feel good about myself is not too fake. Best feeling I've had was 3 weeks after baby I bought shape wear to go out for a Christmas dinner and felt so good and heaps of people commented on how good I looked

I also use a gradual tan on occasion, dye my hair, wear makeup everyday but like it so light that people don't really know I'm wearing makeup.

I've tried hair extensions but weren't for me and I've tried fake nails but weren't for me because I really did feel fake.

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
                If you ask my DP anything fake is TOO fake. I really think the very vast majority of men prefer the girl next door look.

he laughed at me for putting a 'gradual tan' lotion on my glowing white legs and we have a joke now that I'll turn into a dorito.
                Im ghostly pale too and persist with fake tan even though it's not always the best look. Yet when I see someone else who is pale I think it looks lovely.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's interesting to see the line when you feel too far removed from your natural self
                Last edited by darla87; 18-11-2012, 19:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post

Mine is like that. I think he'd like me best if I wore my natural hair colour in a pony tail, jeans and t-shirt and some flats. That's it. Not make-up, jewellery, dresses, etc. Unfortunately for him, I'm just no that kind of girl!

Comment

I don't have any problem with "cheating"! I suppose the only thing that would annoy me is if someone pretended something was real when it wasn't. Like celebrities who swear they haven't had plastic surgery, but any idiot with eyes can see it in the before and after shots!

I wear shape wear a lot for special occasions, particularly because my stomach is shaped so the top part stick out more than the bottom part so certain clothing styles make me look pregnant I'm super white with lots of freckles and only wear makeup to work or going out. I'm too lazy to do much else!

And for the record, I once saw in a magazine Victoria Beckham's shape wear sticking out o her skirt while she was sat down - of VB can wear them, no-one else should feel bad about it!

Comment

I am not someone to go for fake tan/nails/hair (other than a colour) but I do wear makeup. I most definitely wear shape wear but I tend to think of that as more of a community service so that others aren't unduly exposed to my jibbly bits.

Comment

Thanks for reminding me i need some new shapewear

Now here is the reason why. At certain times of the month or if my food is contaminated (gluten/dairy or contains onion or garlic) I get seriously bloated and i already have a bad back where my lower spine curves so I look pregnant easily 5 months. When I get dressed up i don't want to field questions over my phantom pregnancy so shape wear holds my tummy in and helps my back as well.

I'm quite happy with my usual size and dimensions but no one wants a congratulatory belly rub because they have pms, well i don't.

Comment

Originally posted by SassyMummy View Post
                          Mine is like that. I think he'd like me best if I wore my natural hair colour in a pony tail, jeans and t-shirt and some flats. That's it. Not make-up, jewellery, dresses, etc. Unfortunately for him, I'm just no that kind of girl!
                          ditto. I mostly am (natural hair etc) but love painting my nails, straightening/curling hair and ai wear make up daily.

Comment

I don't think it's "cheating". I have had 2 kids in 2 years both c sections my youngest is 8weeks old. I was a bridesmaid last weekend and it was so nice to have my hair coloured, nails done and spray tan. I also had professional hair and make up done and wore shape wear.

The shape wear is awesome I wear it with dresses if I'm going out somewhere nice. It holds my tummy in nice and firm so it's not flabby lol. I also find it makes my dresses hang nicer on my body. The spray tan was so natural no orange what so ever, you can't even tell where it has faded. Spray fans have changed a lot since they first became popular. I even said to DH today I'm going to get one for Christmas Day. I think you just got to do whatever makes you feel confident.

Comment

Re: What is too fake? Fluff thread

"Too fake" is shape wear that doesn't fit lol, "muffin-pits & muffin hips"

Or Magda from "something about Mary", the combo of wrinkled orange/blonde/hot pink lol, it's a look I can only aspire to

Comment

I would have to agree that if it makes you feel good then good for you!

But, for me, I probably couldn't do the thick, long fake nails and the obvious hair extensions....

Comment

Working...
                                X