How old is too old to change careers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old is too old to change careers?

I'm considering a career change - it'll be totally different to what I do now and the way I'll have to go about it will take ages. I'm 31 now and I will probably be about 38 by the time I get the final qualification for what I want to do!

Do you think that's too old? I really want to do it and I reckon it still leaves me with 20yrs of working life in me if I get qualified at 40.

Interested to hear peoples views!

No way is that too old - go for it!! My brother in law just started studying for a career change & he'll be late 40's when it kicks in & I still think its awesome that people have the vision to go after what they want in a career. It's never too late. I just recently read about a single mum of 4 who at age 40 who went back to study and is now a psychologist age 50 with a job she loves. If you can manage it I say go after your dreams, good luck!!!

Comment

You could be 60 and want to change your career. It's never too late = ) My mums partner is 61 and so far he has been a mechanic, a counsellor, a chef and he decided to go back to school so he is now a captain = )

Go for it! Good luck!

Comment

It's never too late if it is something you want to do.

Comment

Never too late! I love that in this day and age it is quite acceptable to change careers many times, and if we love what we do we don't necessarily have to retire at a particular age.

My ex-FIL (in NZ) started out as a cop, then he bought a dairy farm and did that for 20+ years (XH was raised on a farm), and now he's a real estate sales person and is the most successful auctioneer in his nation wide company at age 78, and loves what he does. People like that are an inspiration to me, and help me remember that I (and you) can do anything.

Comment

Wow DC, some people have all kinds of past lives don't they!

I know it's probably not too old but its just a bit daunting. The good thing is I'll be able to work in the industry (hopefully!) after about 2-3 years, after I do the first qualification. So I guess that will help.

Comment

Hollywood - very inspirational!

Comment

I did it at 30 but I was by no means the oldest and I don't think age is a big factor. These days there are so many options and career changes are common. Plus your past experience in the world all count towards making you a good candidate as much as a degree will, perhaps better than someone with little or no real world experience. Best of luck and good on you.

Comment

Do it!! Your 38 year old self will thank you for it :-)

I worked with a guy whose wife bought a hair dressing salon and became the apprentice - at 50!

Comment

Do it! I know a woman who began studying law in her mid thirties and she's done brilliantly.

Comment

i am studying now....i will graduate when i am 41 (eekkk)....but, with the way things are going now i think we will be realistically expected to work to 70 so that is 30 years working in something i will love.

Change of career can be invigorating!

Comment

38 isnt old….i'll be 37 in April & I have another 4 or so years part time until I finish off my degree. i used to earn quite alot in my job managing a team of software sales people but found it wasnt making me happy so i decided to finish off my degree (the one i deferred 11 yrs ago in Psychology). By the time i am working I will be in my 40,s. If you are going to have to work until you are at least 65 then that is 27 years in a career.

My friends are still having babies at 38 so I imagine starting a new career at that age is perfectly fine.

Comment

I agree with PP! Never too old, go for it!

Comment

Definitley go for it You will be happy you did it!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Comment

never too old go for it!

Comment

Working...
                              X