Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUI questions

Totally clueless girl here so I have a few questions:

1) what are 'follicles'? In the context of "A promising cycle is one that offers two follicles measuring more than 16 mm" ?

2) What meds do you have to take and what are they for?

that's it for now!

Hi you may have found an answer to your Q's by now but here goes, follicles are what your ovaries produce your follicle releases an egg each cycle so i guess the bigger the folicle produced the bigger or better the egg. The meds that produce bigger folicles are called FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) the med i used was Puregon but there are various, good luck with your journey.

Comment

Ive just seen this!

As lissyann said, follicles are pretty much the 'house' your eggs grow in

I used puregon from CD2-9 which is one of a few follicle stimulation hormones available. That makes your follies grow.

I used Pregnyl (HCG) as the trigger shot, that makes you ovulate when the follicles are at the right size. They check that with an ultrasound. My clinic says 16-18mm is ideal.

Comment

Thanks guys!

If you have ideal follies and regular ovulation etc do they just do a natural cycle?

Comment

what clinic are you going to/looking at

most have a full treatment description of their website, or all information should be given to you before you start anything

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow road View Post
            Thanks guys!

If you have ideal follies and regular ovulation etc do they just do a natural cycle?
            I wish I also had no so called fertility issues but had to take the drugs which I hated, the drugs are used to produce more eggs and stop you from ovulating before they are ready to inseminate

Comment

Fertility First at Hurstville.

I'm not TTC until Sept so I have a while to gather my info I'm sure it'll all get explained to me when I have my first appt there, I just want to know what's being said before it's said!

Comment

not your clinic but info here

http://mivf.com.au/fertility-treatme...semination-iui

Comment

Hi ya.
                  I use clomid CD2-6 then puregon CD7-18 trigger injection CD19 then IUI CD21. Ovulation usually occurs 24-36 hours after the trigger shot so I usually have it 9pm on day 19 then IUI is 8am day 21.
                  My FS likes my follies to be between 18-21mm but some will let you trigger at 16mm.
                  I usually get 2 good follies and about 4-5 smaller ones that go away at trigger injection because they aren't big enough

I think I read in another thread that you are a same sex couple? So in this instance you may have a natural IUI cycle, no drugs just monitoring so your FS has the correct timing for the IUI. He may want I do a few natural cycles before turning to drugs. Drugs are mainly used for women who don't or in my case can't ovulate on their own.
                  Bring on September hey!!
                  Last edited by siege; 07-02-2012, 12:55.

Comment

Yep, same sex couple...

I thought I read somewhere on my clinic's site that they try natural cycles first where possible but I can't find it now. I guess I'll know when I go in!

Thank you all for your help

Bring on September indeed! We can be cycle buddies, siege!

Comment

For sure!!

I am hoping to start IUI again then, maybe give it 3 cycles then start looking at IVF

Until then I am on my own!

Comment

On your own- TTC naturally? Well hopefully you will be pregnant by sept then! But if not...IUI buddies! Woohoo!

Comment

Thanks guys!

Depends on you and your FS/clinic really! My periods and ovulation are absolutely spot on, and my ovaries are great, but we decided to go with the medicated cycle after our FS told us it increases the chances slightly. So we decided to go in with all guns blazing and here we are

Comment

On your own- TTC naturally? Well hopefully you will be pregnant by sept then! But if not...IUI buddies! Woohoo!
                            Yea hubby is moving away for work so no FS until September when the house sells and we are living together again. Haven't made a baby on our own in 4 years so my hopes aren't high but ya never know!!

Comment

If you do a natural cycle they'd to an internal ultrasound around day 9-11 and blood test I would assume every few days to check.
                              OT I thought you were going through Ivf Australia?

Comment

Working...
                              X