Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Importing embryo into Australia

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Importing embryo into Australia

    Hello

    Has anyone out there imported embryos from overseas. I have 4 embryos still created by partners sperm and donated egg. I successfully gave birth to a little girl but want to try for another one next year but the embryos are in Spain. With COVID and a ban on overseas travel I am likely not able to travel there and don’t want to take any risks. So has anyone had any experience in importing there embryos. I am keen to hear from someone in WA as the legislation is slightly different and would be more beneficial for me to import into WA. Although I would prefer Queensland. Thanks 🙏

  • #2
    Originally posted by Mia75 View Post
    Hello

    Has anyone out there imported embryos from overseas. I have 4 embryos still created by partners sperm and donated egg. I successfully gave birth to a little girl but want to try for another one next year but the embryos are in Spain. With COVID and a ban on overseas travel I am likely not able to travel there and don’t want to take any risks. So has anyone had any experience in importing there embryos. I am keen to hear from someone in WA as the legislation is slightly different and would be more beneficial for me to import into WA. Although I would prefer Queensland. Thanks 🙏
    Don't know about now or WA, but I looked into this about three years ago. Donation can't be anonymous in Australia, or at least most jurisdictions I'm aware of. So if the egg donor is anonymous, I'm guessing you might struggle. I didn't dig any deeper into it though, so perhaps there are ways around it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Also interested and in WA so following!

      From my limited research you can’t but would be great to hear otherwise!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Kalina View Post
        Don't know about now or WA, but I looked into this about three years ago. Donation can't be anonymous in Australia, or at least most jurisdictions I'm aware of. So if the egg donor is anonymous, I'm guessing you might struggle. I didn't dig any deeper into it though, so perhaps there are ways around it.
        Do you have your embryos in an overseas clinic if so which one? Do you mind telling me which state you are in? I am doing bit more research and I have noticed that Victoria and WA have a committee where you need to seek approval if there it’s anonymous. Looking into more and will post here

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Hopeful137 View Post
          Also interested and in WA so following!

          From my limited research you can’t but would be great to hear otherwise!
          Do you have embryos overseas? Which country? Will post my research here

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Mia75 View Post
            Do you have your embryos in an overseas clinic if so which one? Do you mind telling me which state you are in? I am doing bit more research and I have noticed that Victoria and WA have a committee where you need to seek approval if there it’s anonymous. Looking into more and will post here

            I do, in the Czech Republic, but I'm not looking to transfer them - my last transfer was successful and I've got my little dd2. I looked into it briefly a couple of years ago because I'd been overseas for multiple failed transfers (different country and clinic) and it was getting expensive. I fortunately found a great clinic and was all done before this pandemic hit.

            From what I did see at the time transporting would have been much more expensive than travelling multiple times. Of course now travelling costs a lot more even when possible, so good on you for exploring the possibilities.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Mia75 View Post
              Hello

              Has anyone out there imported embryos from overseas. I have 4 embryos still created by partners sperm and donated egg. I successfully gave birth to a little girl but want to try for another one next year but the embryos are in Spain. With COVID and a ban on overseas travel I am likely not able to travel there and don’t want to take any risks. So has anyone had any experience in importing there embryos. I am keen to hear from someone in WA as the legislation is slightly different and would be more beneficial for me to import into WA. Although I would prefer Queensland. Thanks 🙏
              Hello! I'm in South Australia and a couple of years ago my FS told me that I should bring over my overseas embryos from Greece as they are my embryos and all I need to do is ring up the clinic and tell them I'm wanting to fly over my embryos from Greece, and to not mention donor eggs/sperm. As they are your embryos the clinic would have your names on them. It's just a suggestion

              We didn't end up flying them over as I didn't trust anyone except my doctor in Greece (Dr Nikos) to do the transfer (I felt my clinic in SA was very money hungry and couldn't be trusted).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mia75 View Post
                Do you have embryos overseas? Which country? Will post my research here
                Yes, in Greece! I’d be interested to know if what [MENTION=152672]Goldie25[/MENTION] says is true. My clinic here know I went over...but I could go to a different clinic here [emoji85]

                Comment


                • #9
                  Oh, this is getting intersting.
                  Thinking out loud, I could get embryos created and bring them over here to transfer.

                  But I dont think its a cheap option, I remember that the Sydney clinic that does bring known donor eggs for transfer in Sydney, has to have someone travel with the eggs on the plane. I think they said someone is paid to actually carry the eggs in a special bag on the plane. If I remember corectly, they carry four clients eggs (or embyos). This makes it cheaper to do. I think when I asked about going to the Sydney clinic a few years ago, I was quoted about 25K in US$ to buy and bring either 6 or 8 (I can't remember) eggs or embryos to Sydney. Then there was also transfer, flights and accomodation costs from Melbourne.

                  It would be nice if the fastracked consent to tother clinics to do the same, but I don't know that will happen in Melb anyway.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Kalina View Post
                    I do, in the Czech Republic, but I'm not looking to transfer them - my last transfer was successful and I've got my little dd2. I looked into it briefly a couple of years ago because I'd been overseas for multiple failed transfers (different country and clinic) and it was getting expensive. I fortunately found a great clinic and was all done before this pandemic hit.

                    From what I did see at the time transporting would have been much more expensive than travelling multiple times. Of course now travelling costs a lot more even when possible, so good on you for exploring the possibilities.
                    Glad to hear you had your dd2. I did look into importing many years ago out of curiosity and saw it was really expensive and not much information on it. Now that I am looking into it more deeply there is a bit more information on the laws in different states and the cost seems to be less Then previously but once you add it all up it does still cost more if I was to travel overseas in normal circumstances but unfortunately we are no longer in “normal” times.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Goldie25 View Post
                      Hello! I'm in South Australia and a couple of years ago my FS told me that I should bring over my overseas embryos from Greece as they are my embryos and all I need to do is ring up the clinic and tell them I'm wanting to fly over my embryos from Greece, and to not mention donor eggs/sperm. As they are your embryos the clinic would have your names on them. It's just a suggestion

                      We didn't end up flying them over as I didn't trust anyone except my doctor in Greece (Dr Nikos) to do the transfer (I felt my clinic in SA was very money hungry and couldn't be trusted).
                      I did think about that too and how would they know. But I think the clinics involved would have to sign a declaration and I guess if it’s false and it discovered there would be huge consequences for them. I think my clinic in Spain wouldn’t be willing to give a false declaration.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Hopeful137 View Post
                        Yes, in Greece! I’d be interested to know if what [MENTION=152672]Goldie25[/MENTION] says is true. My clinic here know I went over...but I could go to a different clinic here [emoji85]
                        From what I understand it’s not just about anonymity it’s also about the standards of collection and if the clinic meets the Australian standards. I will dig into it a bit more and keep you posted.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by 1greenfrog View Post
                          Oh, this is getting intersting.
                          Thinking out loud, I could get embryos created and bring them over here to transfer.

                          But I dont think its a cheap option, I remember that the Sydney clinic that does bring known donor eggs for transfer in Sydney, has to have someone travel with the eggs on the plane. I think they said someone is paid to actually carry the eggs in a special bag on the plane. If I remember corectly, they carry four clients eggs (or embyos). This makes it cheaper to do. I think when I asked about going to the Sydney clinic a few years ago, I was quoted about 25K in US$ to buy and bring either 6 or 8 (I can't remember) eggs or embryos to Sydney. Then there was also transfer, flights and accomodation costs from Melbourne.

                          It would be nice if the fastracked consent to tother clinics to do the same, but I don't know that will happen in Melb anyway.
                          Wow that is expensive! Is that including the cost of the egg or just the transfer costs. I was told by my Spain clinic that they have to get permission from Spanish Govt to export to Australia and there are a few hoops I have to jump before they would consider it which would take 4-6 months. But before I start that process I have to check with Australia as to whether a clinic could receive it. So it’s likely this will take a year which i am fine with as not wanting to transfer for another year but I also don’t think that COVID situation internationally will improve by then either, so I am in a rock and a hard place but thought I would use this time to investigate 🤞

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            @Mia75, I had a look and found the email from two years ago to make sure I was saying the correct price and number of eggs... and Sorry my memory wasn't correct.
                            These are the cost they provided then, It might have changed now. You could possibly ask them if they will bring your eggs over? There is Sydney.
                            8 eggs (they guarantee a min of 3 embryos from these eggs) 10,600 US
                            10 eggs (they guarantee a min of 4 embryos from these eggs) 13,250 US
                            Shipping
                            Single batch 4750 US per batch
                            To save cash you could wait for someone else to also be ready then the costs are:
                            2 batches 2500 US per batch
                            5 batched 1350 US per batch


                            Edited to say, I keep extending my hoping to fly out date... was Sept/Oct this year, now I'm hoping to get to fly out in March next year. Althought my concern is more around getting back into Aust than flying out. It seems like people can get an exemption to fly out for transfer, its the getting back in that the hard part.
                            Last edited by 1greenfrog; 21-09-2020, 11:00.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by 1greenfrog View Post
                              @Mia75, I had a look and found the email from two years ago to make sure I was saying the correct price and number of eggs... and Sorry my memory wasn't correct.
                              These are the cost they provided then, It might have changed now. You could possibly ask them if they will bring your eggs over? There is Sydney.
                              8 eggs (they guarantee a min of 3 embryos from these eggs) 10,600 US
                              10 eggs (they guarantee a min of 4 embryos from these eggs) 13,250 US
                              Shipping
                              Single batch 4750 US per batch
                              To save cash you could wait for someone else to also be ready then the costs are:
                              2 batches 2500 US per batch
                              5 batched 1350 US per batch


                              Edited to say, I keep extending my hoping to fly out date... was Sept/Oct this year, now I'm hoping to get to fly out in March next year. Althought my concern is more around getting back into Aust than flying out. It seems like people can get an exemption to fly out for transfer, its the getting back in that the hard part.
                              Thankyou for the information. Do you know which clinic in Sydney you were dealing with.

                              Yes it seems that getting back into Australia is the issue. All the best with your travel and transfer.

                              I will update on my progress here.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X