Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First FS appointment

Hi ladies
    Im just wondering if anyone could help with some information. I have my first FS appointment on the 17th June, and im wondering what kind of treatments they might recommend for us. We have had basic blood tests and sperm tests done (with our GP) and all came back with no problems. And i know im ovulating. My cycle is generally 25 days and regular.
    And information would be great.
    Thanks in advance

Not too sure if your body is doing everythng it should be doing. good luck anyway

Comment

umm - all FS's and all circumstances are different ... so what one will do for me, yours may not do for you IYKWIM

Firstly - ttc for 10 months - while it feels like forever - is not actually that long, for someone who is young, healthy, with no known fertility issues and has regular periods.

I am a little suprised that you got a referral to be totally honest - they usually like you to have ttc for over 12 months, as sometimes is just takes a bit longer.

The first things that they do is
      - an internal u/s to check for cysts/issues
      - a series of bt's (or sometimes only 1 at cd20) to check that you did ovulate. Just becuase your period is regular it doesnt always mean that you ovulated.
      - a dye test to check that your tubes are clear. If there appears to be no real issues, they will usually do this as a dye test and u/s. If you have other issues they may suggest a laparoscopy (day surgery). They flush your tubes with a dye and watch how quickly and easily it progresses down your tubes.

Normally, if they cannot find an explanation for why you are not falling pregnant, the first intervention is a drug called clomid. Its a tablet taken cd2-5 to get your body to produce the right hormones etc. Usually you are monitored with bt's and scans to check that it is working.

6 cycles of clomid is about the norm ... if it hasnt worked within 6 cycles it isnt going to .. so they progress to Follicle Stimulating Hormones (FSH) and assisted conception.

Ask plenty of questions .... and dont rush into assistance just yet. I have known lots of women to fall pregnant naturally after 12 -18 months of trying......

it isnt easy

ETA - I have just noticed you are in Perth - who is your FS?

Comment

Thanks Katiesmum, that was all very helpfull.
        I asked my doctor for a referal as i was worried and i felt like my time is slowly running out as we want to have 4 children. I also had a large fibroid removed 2 years ago and am worried that it may have caused some problems.
        The FS i am going to see is Erica Shellabear, at Concept fertility center.

Comment

Originally posted by KatiesMum View Post

I am a little suprised that you got a referral to be totally honest - they usually like you to have ttc for over 12 months, as sometimes is just takes a bit longer.
          It is recommended that you seek help after trying for 6 months if you are over 30.

TBH I got referred to a gyno before 6 months because I had irreg cycles. I guess it depends on your own situation.

Comment

Originally posted by nat76 View Post
            Hi ladies
            Im just wondering if anyone could help with some information. I have my first FS appointment on the 17th June, and im wondering what kind of treatments they might recommend for us. We have had basic blood tests and sperm tests done (with our GP) and all came back with no problems. And i know im ovulating. My cycle is generally 25 days and regular.
            And information would be great.
            Thanks in advance
            Hi Nat,

As Katiesmum said all fs's are different and with your history of fibroids they may do varying tests. When I went we suspected PCOS and I was having very irregular cycles (I got referred after 6 months TTC #2). For me it was LOADS of blood tests but he put me straight on Clomid anyway with regular BT's and u/s.

the appointment goes as you hope and they can give you some help. I do agree not to rush into assisted as it does change it A LOT....being told when to BD does take the romance out of it!!!

Hope you get your BFP!

Comment

Hi

I have heard really good things about her, so for that.

I had a huge fibroid removed .. and while I have some scarring on my ovary, this is more from the endo. This did not cause my fertility problems, so all is fine.

However as GIAG said - this may mean they will do extra tests etc.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
              X