Prep readiness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atomicmama View Post
    I think this is why it's not common for the Department of Education in NSW to approve repeating now, because of the emotional toll it can take.
    Anecdotally, I can remember one of my best friends having to repeat grade 1. She was crying when she found out, and our little group were all sad thinking we would no longer be able to play together.
    That’s my worry. Having said that because kindy has been so positive about her going to school she knows she’s going. we live very near the school and every day we walk past it she comments about it being her school next year. She will be upset if she doesn’t get to go.

We have prep interviews in October so I guess we can discuss then.

Comment

Originally posted by Mum-I-Am View Post
      How hard is it to hold back in say prep or year 1 both logistically and for the child emotionally.
      They don't really do this anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamasupial View Post
        They don't really do this anymore.
        So it’s kind of all in. I was so sure of our decision but now I’m nervous.

Comment

They would still do prep. I just wonder how kids cope being held back but seeing their peers go up a grade. I thought it might be harder on then as they got older.
          I've seen this happen to only 1 child through my years. He was so much more mature than the others in kindy and refused to engage for his repeat year of kindy.. was so sad.

Comment

I've seen this happen to only 1 child through my years. He was so much more mature than the others in kindy and refused to engage for his repeat year of kindy.. was so sad.
            That’s sad. I think she will be ok.

I will be changing my work hours so will be available to help with whatever’s needed.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRedV View Post
              I disagree re maturity etc.

I have taught kindy (prep) for a long time now. Guaranteed every year it’s the children who started at 4 years old who are still crying for mum half way through the year.

I am just out buying dessert for Father’s Day but I will comment more later.
              I really wish Australia (education wise) would take all the research that's out there more seriously. Prep should never have become the first year of formal schooling.

Comment

It's such a hard choice. I remember how much I struggled making the decision with DD1. I enrolled her for another year of kindy and had meetings with kindy and school to help us decide. I was reassured that school would adequately support her and they certainly have done a great job. They had more resources avaliable to be able to support her social skills etc. Glad I made the choice I did.

With DD2. She's super ready. No question.

But I'll review again in a few years for DS and DD3. DD3 is end of April so will be quite young.

Comment

It's such a hard choice. I remember how much I struggled making the decision with DD1. I enrolled her for another year of kindy and had meetings with kindy and school to help us decide. I was reassured that school would adequately support her and they certainly have done a great job. They had more resources avaliable to be able to support her social skills etc. Glad I made the choice I did.

With DD2. She's super ready. No question.

But I'll review again in a few years for DS and DD3. DD3 is end of April so will be quite young.
                  Maybe I need to stop listening to the “noise” and accept that those closest to DD1 say she is good to go. Her kindy teacher said the only area she wants to see improvement is fine motor but that’s not a huge issue. Our nanny (a qualified educator) also says she will be bored doing kindy again.

Comment

I would be reluctant to send an end of May baby to school at 4 years old. No matter how much anyone says they’re ready. That’s almost half a year. They are still babies at 4.

Can she wipe her bum with no assistance and open and close the toilet cubicle?

Comment

I would be reluctant to send an end of May baby to school at 4 years old. No matter how much anyone says they’re ready. That’s almost half a year. They are still babies at 4.

this is why dd will be deferring. if we sent her the year she turns 5, she would be 4 until end of april. she would also potentially be with kids who deferred from the year prior, and turned 6 anytime jan - april. that’s a good 18 month age gap, how anyone can say that’s not material is beyond me. they go through such leaps in development between 4 and 5 and 5 and 6, it’s just amazing. definitely team defer here (and i was firmly against before so i’ve definitely done a 180 from my previous stance).

Comment

Prep readiness

Maybe I need to stop listening to the “noise” and accept that those closest to DD1 say she is good to go. Her kindy teacher said the only area she wants to see improvement is fine motor but that’s not a huge issue. Our nanny (a qualified educator) also says she will be bored doing kindy again.
                        DD is a late June baby. She did a year of ‘kindy’ at daycare and then a year of kindy at a community kindergarten. So it was like she was going to a new school and exposed to new things yet still not actually starting prep. It worked well. I think she would have struggled doing prep last year. It’s not like pre primary when I was at school. It’s very formal. There are a couple of younger kids in her class now that seem to be doing very well though. And some older kids who are struggling. I guess it really comes down to the child.
                        Last edited by babyno1onboard; 05-09-2021, 14:30.

Comment

She wipes, not always very well. Good question about the cubicles.

Comment

We are in exactly the same boat [MENTION=127453]Mum-I-Am[/MENTION]. DD will be starting prep next year at 4, turning 5 at the end of may. All of her kindy teachers have said she is in no doubt ready for kindy and is actually more ready than some of the older kids in kindy while will be turning 6 next year. Anyone who meets her all agree that she is more than ready to start prep, including a friend of mine who is a primary school teacher, DHs Aunty who is a prep teacher and even one of her kindy friends mum who is a year 1 teacher. She is very switched on, a little social butterfly (plays with everyone to the point she wanted to invite her whole kindy class to her birthday) and socially she is so ready. We have enrolled her, BUT that doesn’t mean we don’t have doubts when it comes to certain things.

DDs kindy has a transition program with the school she’ll be going to. They did an info night the other night that I went to. I honestly don’t remember a lot of it, but it certainly calmed my fears a little bit. There’s a big transition from kindy to prep as the environments are so different. For example at the beginning of the year they do regular class trips to the toilet working up to the kids going during break times or with a buddy.

But things they suggested to try at home were things like, when reading books at home to try getting them to sit up and listen to the book rather than snuggling in to you. This will help them with their ability to sit on the floor during class time etc as it’s not “new”. Obviously not all the time, but certainly every now and then.

Looking at what you’re going to be sending for lunch. Do they have the ability to open and close containers/packaging? What kind of lunch box and how can they handle it? Bento boxes are all the rage, but if your child drops it and loses all their food, then what.

The one we struggle with is getting DD ready in the morning (or any time really [emoji849]). So having a task chart with visual cues of what they need to do in the morning to get ready. Giving them plenty of time to get ready in the morning so they’re not rushed while setting the expectations.

Fostering independence through encouraging them to do things for themselves like dressing themselves, packing and unpacking their school bags. Using a keychain on the zipper of their school bags to help them with being able to do things independently, particularly if fine motor skills need some working on.

Teaching them to problem solve/conflict resolution. So when they have a meltdown over something and saying they can’t do it, rather than getting frustrated or doing it for them, ask them “how do you think we can fix the problem?” etc. While they may not be able to fix every problem, it lays the groundwork for them being able to critically think and problem solve.

My friend who is a primary teacher has a friend who works at DDs school and has said that the prep team are amazing, so I feel confident in sending her next year. I’m in no doubt that we will have some struggles adjusting to the routine change, but I think once settled in she will blossom. DD is a very bright little girl and is very quick to learn things by repetition. Some days I wonder if she can actually read as she’ll “read” DS a book and it’s one I can only remember reading to her a couple of times ages ago. I don’t think she can, but her memory is excellent (almost too excellent [emoji15][emoji23]).

Trust your gut. You know your own child. It will be hard for DD as most of her kindy friends will be repeating another year as they’re either in the cusp or have birthdays later in the year. But she’s so social that I’ve no doubt she’ll be fine and I’m trying to foster a better friendship with another little boy from kindy who she’ll be going to school with. They are already so cute together and his mum is lovely and also keen to foster a friendship between the two of them (she was in tears at DDs birthday party when DD hugged him to say thank you for her birthday present and told him how much she loved it).

Comment

Prep readiness

My daughter was born end of March. SA cut off is 30 April. We started her as one of the youngest . She’s in year 2 now . She’s been completely fine the entire time . Level or ahead of where she needs to be.
                              None of the 75 students that started in her her were kept back. I don’t think it’s common at all in SA
                              Oh and also , as you are already in kindy, I’m not sure you can now have a second year funded . It’s kindy that you delay , not school
                              Last edited by Kazza78; 05-09-2021, 18:41.

Comment

Oh and I haven’t read through the other comments

Comment

Working...
                                X