No announcement yet.

How many days when starting Preschool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many days when starting Preschool?

So as the title suggests I’m wondering how many days to put DD into preschool? She will be starting in January & be 3.5yrs then. She has never been in care before but we are wanting to get her in for the social aspect of it & to be around more kids her age.

She is a bright kid, friendly & out going. There are two schools we are looking at, one we can put her in one day a week to start to see how she goes then increase to two etc days if we choose, the other is a minimum of two days a week. I’m just not sure if going two days strait up as she’s never been will be too much at the beginning?

I know she will have a ball & want to go every day once she starts (me not so much lol) anyway my question is would one day be a waste of time or do they benefit more from two or more days?

TIA

F.

Comment

Originally posted by gorgeousgeorge View Post
      F.
      ?

Comment

I think two days is better. Otherwise it’s a long time in between days and the settling in process takes longer.

Comment

Originally posted by MissMooMumma View Post
          ?
          It usually means the poster is interested in the thread and wants to follow it.

Comment

Will this be the year before 5 day full time school? If so I would do at least 2 days per week - the standard in QLD is a 5 day fortnight.

Comment

Originally posted by MissMooMumma View Post
              ?
              Yes :-) im wondering the same thing so wanted to read to see what others suggested.

Comment

I’d do 2 days..... a week is a long time for a kid and then if she’s sick on the day she’s supposed to go makes it 2 weeks between sessions.
                DD goes to daycare 2 days a week and that was recommended by just about everyone I spoke to as it helps them settle quicker.

Comment

I’d do 2 days. Most centres (daycare and daycare based kindy programs) here won’t do 1 day a week as it doesn’t give the kids a chance to really settle in. Kindy (3.5-5 years) is a 5 day fortnight.

Comment

We started off doing a 3 year old preschool which was only 3 hours a week. With my second we used the attached occasional care to extend that to a 6 hour day. We never had any issues doing one day a week, but all kids are different.

The second year of preschool (the year before school) was 15 hours which for dd1 was spread over 2.5 days but for dd2 is two longer days.

Comment

Originally posted by Mod-DJ Nette View Post
                      It usually means the poster is interested in the thread and wants to follow it.
                      Lol as soon as I did it it clicked, having a blonde moment 🤣

Comment

Originally posted by Mod-DJ Nette View Post
                        Will this be the year before 5 day full time school? If so I would do at least 2 days per week - the standard in QLD is a 5 day fortnight.
                        No she will attend preschool 2020 & 2021 as her birthday is beginning of July we think it best to start “big” school at 5 turning 6 rather then 4 turning 5. I would definitely have her in 2 or 3 days the year before she starts school. I just don’t know if two days strait up when she’s never been will be too much? Thanx for the reply

Comment

Mine have always done 2 days a week even atm Ds2 is still doing his 2 days (3 years old). Dd does 1 day. Ds starts Monday in 2021 and will do 2 days there and 1 day daycare 1 day with my folks. He loves it !

Comment

Mine both started 2 days at 3/3.5 after being in no previous care, they did fine. Preferable to one day IMO.

Comment

I would go for 2 days the first year, then the year before she starts school increase it to 3 days.

My DS did 1 day a week for the first year, but that was mainly because that's all they had available. The year before he started primary school he did 3 days.

Comment

Working...
                              X