Letting kids take toys to school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letting kids take toys to school

Do you let your kids take toys to school?

What are the rules at your school concerning this and what is your stance on it?

Our school discourages it, and I completely see why. I don't let DS take form of toys to school, even little things.

Nope, not allowed, thankfully.
    It becomes too competitive if they do, and inevitably the toys get lost or broken.

I’m thankful this is one less thing we need to worry about.

Comment

Toys aren’t allowed at our school. Soccer balls/handballs etc are ok but toys got banned many moons ago. I support the rule, I don’t think there’s any need for kids to take toys to school and it can cause issues, the biggest one being lost/stolen toys.

Comment

I don't let DD take toys to school at all. I have been a teacher in the past and seen many fall outs over toys brought to school and it just isn't worth it.

Last year it was a major discussion between myself and my daughter as many other children were taking everything and anything to school and she felt excluded from her group of friends as she was the only one who didn't take anything. The school did try and discourage it but weren't consistent with it.

Comment

Not allowed by the school unless it's for a reason (show and tell theme, theme days like teddy bears picnic etc). And even if it was allowed, unless for the reasons mentioned above, I wouldn't let my kids take them anyway.

Comment

This one drives me nuts as a kindergarten teacher. Parents allowing it and then the item is put away by a teacher and the kid get a upset.. Parents setting the kids up for upset as they can't say no themselves dispite.knowing where we stand.

Comment

Oh god I wish they would ban it here.

Initially I stood firm but then dd1 said all her classmates brought in toys and she was being left out so I allowed her to take one or two. Initially it was a notebook, but has since progressed to a small ziplock bag of LOL dolls or ponies. She packs her own bag so it’s hard to keep track of.

I made it clear if she lost any it was her loss and would not be replaced.

I can imagine it causes fights a lot, but the teacher/school has not mentioned it yet.

Eta: I would love to have just said no and stuck to my guns but dd1 is shy, struggles socially and found it a battle to make friends when staring school so I didn’t want to make it harder for her than it already was.
              Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 24-10-2018, 15:37.

Comment

We try and discourage DSS, but then he sneaks them out. So now we make him responsible - if he takes it to school and it gets lost/stolen/broken, its gone and its on him. He accepts that risk and funnily since we’ve made him responsible it mostly comes home.

If it was a special or expensive toy we would do what we could to stop him, but he’s got to learn responsibility for his things somehow!

Comment

Not allowed , even those Pokémon cards , they have plenty of sports equipment to play and lunch time clubs ect with so no need to bring in toys

Comment

Toys are discouraged but usually when there’s a craze we let them play unless there’s too many problems.

At the moment, beyblades are all the rage at the school I work at and my children’s school.

Comment

Originally posted by Pcos30 View Post
                      We try and discourage DSS, but then he sneaks them out. So now we make him responsible - if he takes it to school and it gets lost/stolen/broken, its gone and its on him. He accepts that risk and funnily since we’ve made him responsible it mostly comes home.

If it was a special or expensive toy we would do what we could to stop him, but he’s got to learn responsibility for his things somehow!
                      This is us too. Also goes for her teachers rule that if it is seen in class then she will have it. She has been pretty good but they are usually little things like lol dolls.

Comment

Nope.

The school discourages it, but it’s not banned. We have always said no as I know how much of a PITA it is for teachers, and the problems it causes.

However... DD’s best friend ALWAYS brings toys. Always. DD sneaks toys to school so that she doesn’t feel left out, and because her friend tells her to. DD knows full well that anything she takes will be confiscated and she won’t get it back. She’s still done it repeatedly this year, and has consequently lost every single one of her small toys (hatchimqls, my little pony and LOL dolls). It drives me nuts!

Comment

Originally posted by BigRedV View Post
                          At the moment, beyblades are all the rage at the school I work at and my children’s school.
                          It's been a craze here too for about a year. Our school discourages toys too, but they do allow "clubs" at lunchtime on certain days. DS used to go to Pokemon club - I only ever bought him one pack, but he has a huge pack of them as the kids used to give him cards!! He goes to beyblade club now, but knows he is not allowed to trade his "special" ones or he will be in big trouble with me as they were Christmas presents and "Santa" had a hard time finding the 2 special ones he asked for!! They are the only things I've let him take to school.

He did take his iPad to school once though as other kids on the bus take theirs. DD dobbed on him so he lost it for 2 weeks as I would not be happy if that got taken from his bag.

Comment

Working...
                          X