No announcement yet.

Working three days a week - which days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since I’ve had kids I’ve been part-time. Occasionally 2 days but mostly 3 days. In my job it’s makes more sense to do consecutive days and I like it better as well. I have done Mon-Wed and Wed-Fri and I much prefer Mon-Wed because that’s what I’m used to I guess. I have everything organised for the week on Sunday then head to the shops on Thursday for anything that’s needed and clean the house, do washing etc. on Thursdays and Fridays meaning the weekend is free to spend time with the kids and not be spending the weekend cleaning and worried about the state of the house. When I was working Wed-Fri I felt like I was less organised and chasing my tail. I felt like I was spending my weekend cleaning and washing and like I was not on top of everything.

Comment

Most of my maternity return to work staff do Monday-Wednesday. I have one coming back Monday, Wednesday, Thursdays because we literally have no spare desks on Tuesdays across the Department I’m in.
      I’m 4 days and Tuesdays are my day off - it nicely breaks up the week for me instead of 4 consecutive days and a long weekend.
      If you’re considering childcare, it may also depend on what days you get? We’re inner metro Melbourne and it’s a take-what-you’re-offered situation!

Comment

Comment

I've been part time for 3 years now- monday, Tuesday, friday, Saturday. I like having days off during weekdays, so much easier to do groceries, husband is out so i can vacuum and make as much noise as I want, go to places that are closed on weekends and watch chick flicks by myself when I'm done with chores. On Saturdays when I'm at work my husband does his own thing, goes to see friends or do his own shopping then Sunday is our family day together. I'm sure i won't get the same days when i go back to work afyer maternity leave but if asked i will take the same days.

Comment

As other people have mentioned, if you are unsure better to be waitlisted for 4 or 5 days before you make up your mind. Maybe your husband won’t be able to work part-time and you will need the extra day. Maybe you will find that having the option to get your child into daycare for half day to get things done and to breathe [emoji28] works for you and your family.

I personally like to work consecutive days because I forget about work for several days. However if I worked 4 days, I would have the Wednesday off

Comment

I can't recommend which days, but it is recommended that children go to childcare 2 consecutive days, rather than split, so that's something to keep in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by atomicmama View Post
                I can't recommend which days, but it is recommended that children go to childcare 2 consecutive days, rather than split, so that's something to keep in mind.
                I've also heard the opposite. It can be good to spread it out so they have a rest day in between and there aren't long periods between childcare days. I was initially recommended Tues and Thurs when I had a choice of two days between Tues, Wed and Thurs. The carer recommended against having almost a week gap between childcare days.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice - lots of things to consider! I didn't even think about putting baby's name down for childcare on more days than needed, but it makes so much sense and gives us flexibility when the time comes, thanks for the suggestion! Also re. Playgroup days makes sense, I just checked our local primary school's Launch into Learning day and it's Thursday so I'll definitely try to get thay day off.

I think I'm leaning towards a Monday-Wednesday week, as I like the idea of getting stuck into work for three consecutive days, but can completely see the appeal of breaking it up into say working Monday, Tuesday and Friday to give you the two days in the middle and the one day back at work to make sure everything is in order before the weekend. Also good point about working the Monday to try and get the public holidays!

Thanks everyone, this has been really helpful!

Comment

Working...
                  X