Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS2 was born at 34+4 four days ago and Im not coping to well

Hi there everyone,

As the title says DS2 was born 4 days ago at 34+4. I had bleeding behind the placenta. I went in on Sunday night because I had bleeding, I was expecting to get an anti-D shot and be sent back home. But they kept me in for 2 hours and then told me that they need to give me an emergency c-section then a few hours later Ds2 was born weighing 2.62 kg and 46 cm.

I was only in there for 3 days after the birth and then sent home, today was my first full day home.

Ds was put on cpap then 24 hours later he was put on to a ventilator. He came off the ventilator yesterday and started 3ml of milk 3 hourly last night and this morning he came off the cpap.

The horrible thing is that I live an hour an a half away from the hospital and I have a 2 year old as well. Unfortunately living conditions mean that I can only get down to see him every second day and the guilt is killing me already.

I was wondering what to expect. Probably a stupid question but I really feel like im living in the dark. Will he be able to breastfeed? Will he be ok??

I just really hate that no one has told me much and Im so far away from my baby.

DS was born at 35 weeks and spent 2 weeks in scn. I was sent home on mothers day and was the worst day ever!

Luckily i don't live far from the hospital and sat with him all day everyday and hated leaving him at night.

I was left in the dark too and had to ask a million questions to find out anything! Nobody had told me to express or anything!

He didn't have the sucking reflex when he was born and was solely tube fed for over a week. On day 2 i started expressing to bring in my milk and after a week or so was able to start breastfeeding him.

Have you started to express? If not i would suggest you start so your milk doesn't dry up

Do they have accomodation at the hospital so you can stay? My hospital had rooms in the scn for breastfeeding mother and once he was on all suck feeds i was able to stay for his last 2 nights . Do you have somebody that could look after your 2 year old for a few days to make it easier?

Is there a hospital closer to you with a scn that they could possibly transfer him to?

He will be fine and is in the best place he can be. He just needs time to learn to feed and once he is having all suck feeds he will be able to go home.

I would really suggest speaking to the nurse about your options. If your only going in every second day it will be hard to get him breastfeeding

Remember all hospitals have social workers if you wish to speak to one.

I hope everything goes ok and you have him home with you soon

Comment

Sending you hugs and a big congratulations I the birth of your little one! My DD2 was born at 32 weeks & DS at 30 weeks.... All babies bring very individual journey's but a bub born after 34weeks should move forward relatively smoothly.

My DD2 was discharged at 35 weeks after 5 days Cpap, 5 days low flow and worked her way on to full suck feeds.

DS was also discharged at 35 weeks Cpap for 72hrs no low flow required on room air and worked his way on full suck feeds.

I pushed a little to have both mine home early but have a nursing background which helped as both suffered apnea at home among other things.

They say not to expect bub home until the due date, any date before this is a bonus! Maybe have a chat to your nurse and ask her what they're predicting will be little ones path at this point, keep in mind sometimes prems love to take a step back here and there... If you plan to bf you will need to express regularly so a chat with the lactation consultant would be a good idea, they can help organise pumps etc.

It's a very bumpy journey at times, the best way to look at it is your baby is here safely and being well looked after, take each day as it comes and gather all the support around you that you can. 😊

Sent from my iTwinkle

Comment

Having a premmie is such a rollercoaster huh? It does make it harder living far away. I had a 31 + 2 premmie in February & we live 1 hours drive from the hospital. I had to rely on others to drive me in for the first few weeks because I was healing from the c-section. Our DS spent 5 1/2 weeks in hospital before he came home.

Once your bub nails breastfeeding you will find things move very quickly & you will have him home. As Tasha said, they will get you to stay at the hospital for the last 2 nights so you can do all his feeds.

If you can somehow find a way to be there daily it'll help with the breastfeeding. The distance just makes it difficult I understand.

Just take it one day at a time, your DS will be home real soon. Massive hugs & best of luck

Comment

Oh I forgot to say.... Yes you can breast feed both mine were! And you should get the number for the NICU/SCN and you can call at any time to check the progress etc... That will at least put your mind at ease
          on the days you can't be there.

Sent from my iTwinkle

Comment

Originally posted by Rileysmuma View Post
            Hi there everyone,

As the title says DS2 was born 4 days ago at 34+4. I had bleeding behind the placenta. I went in on Sunday night because I had bleeding, I was expecting to get an anti-D shot and be sent back home. But they kept me in for 2 hours and then told me that they need to give me an emergency c-section then a few hours later Ds2 was born weighing 2.62 kg and 46 cm.

I was only in there for 3 days after the birth and then sent home, today was my first full day home.

Ds was put on cpap then 24 hours later he was put on to a ventilator. He came off the ventilator yesterday and started 3ml of milk 3 hourly last night and this morning he came off the cpap.

The horrible thing is that I live an hour an a half away from the hospital and I have a 2 year old as well. Unfortunately living conditions mean that I can only get down to see him every second day and the guilt is killing me already.

I was wondering what to expect. Probably a stupid question but I really feel like im living in the dark. Will he be able to breastfeed? Will he be ok??

I just really hate that no one has told me much and Im so far away from my baby.
            My DS was born by emergency csection at 36 weeks but stopped growing at 32weeks, and he was 2.2kg. He was only in SCN for 2 weeks, i was in ICU for the first 5 days and i was unconscious, in my birthplan i had covered that i wanted to be expressed from if i was unconscious. My milk was in when I woke up and expressed so much that i actually had a litre to take home. All i can say if you want to breastfeed is express! Express! Express!

DS was great with feeding but he would tire quickly. He was fed 30ml 4hrly for the first 5 days with no BF's.

Then 41ml 4hrly (i BF him at 6am, tube at 10am, bf at 2pm, tube at 6pm, bf at 10pm and tube at 2am) for the next 4 days.

Then 50ml 4hrly (i BF him at 6am and 10am then he was tube feed at 2pm then i BF him at 6pm and 10pm and his 2am feed was a tube feed) for 3 days then we weaned to just the night feed and the following day i was re-admitted to take him home and i fed him every feed for 2 days (to prove that he could handle it) and he came home on the monday!

I know this thread is about your DS but how are you going? How are you coping with your csection? I really wished someone asked me how i was going with mine. Good luck and best wishes for you and your little men!!

Comment

Also i would express at home every 3 hours or so, keep the milk cold and take it to the hospital.. they can give it to him via the ng tube, any little bit of breastmilk is like liquid gold especially for a prem and at the moment you may still have some colostrum which is even better.

Don't be afraid to ask them any questions at all, nothing is too petty if it's on your mind! And if you wish to bath him ask them not to do it and tell them you would like to do it when you go in. I would bug them if you miss the doctor each day and ask what the doctor said that day and what the plan is.

And i agree.. call as often as you like, even before you go to bed each night to you sleep a little easier knowing he is doing ok

Comment

Originally posted by tasha74 View Post
                Also i would express at home every 3 hours or so, keep the milk cold and take it to the hospital.. they can give it to him via the ng tube, any little bit of breastmilk is like liquid gold especially for a prem and at the moment you may still have some colostrum which is even better.

Don't be afraid to ask them any questions at all, nothing is too petty if it's on your mind! And if you wish to bath him ask them not to do it and tell them you would like to do it when you go in. I would bug them if you miss the doctor each day and ask what the doctor said that day and what the plan is.

And i agree.. call as often as you like, even before you go to bed each night to you sleep a little easier knowing he is doing ok
                I agree with all of the above.

I went home on day 9 and if i couldnt make it in on the doctors rounds I got the pead to call me and tell me what they said, it only happened twice but it was very helpful! Also DS is now 1 and at the start of the month he had croup and i called SCN because i didnt know WTF was going on and the nurse heard him and told us to come up immediately and she would organise a steroid shot to be ready for us in ED. When we got there she was at the ED counter and heard him and did it herself. I have found our SCN to be very helpful.

Comment

Thanks so much every one :-)

I had no idea that I had to start expressing When I went in I asked about it and got given a whole heap of little bottles to express into.

I had idea how much finacial strain it would put on us We are really struggling now that DH had to take a week off of work and paying for the petrol to get down there. Being so far away and having a 2 year old means that today i couldnt make it down there and the guilt is killing me!!! Stress is definately at an all time high.

What do i do if im not getting enough milk?? Im on some pills to increase my supply but im only getting around 60ml and he is already having 30ml every 3 hours and that increase by 5ml every 6 hours. I dont think i have enough for him.

Comment

I'm glad you were able to start expressing. All i can suggest is keep up the tablets and express as often as you can. You will find once he starts feeding off you your supply will increase even more as babies are much more effective at getting the milk out than a pump is. For now just give them what you have and they will top him up with formula

I hope your able to get him home soon, it is a strain financially

Please keep us updated with how you are both going

Comment

Working...
                    X