No announcement yet.

Being a foster carer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi [MENTION=148029]Constanceprice[/MENTION] my husband and I were foster carers for a few years previously. Happy to answer any questions

Comment

Being a foster carer

Thanks [MENTION=22041]SheWarrior[/MENTION]

Basically my questions are, what kind of checks do they do? What conditions do they require for your house and yard etc? We would be looking at infants. Do babies require their own room etc?
      Thanks heaps
      Last edited by Constanceprice; 24-04-2017, 08:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Constanceprice View Post
        Thanks [MENTION=22041]SheWarrior[/MENTION]

Basically my questions are, what kind of checks do they do? What conditions do they require for your house and yard etc? We would be looking at infants. Do babies require their own room etc?
        Thanks heaps
        Sorry it's taken me a bit to get back to you!

With the checks, It's quite full on and very in depth. They want to prettt much know everything about you- upbringing (down to how you were punished as a child, family dynamics etc), criminal history, medical history (including mental health). There is basically no detail off limits. Then they a police check and blue card etc. They also do the same for anyone else living with you (eg housemate) and any friends or family who visit frequently and/or stay over. Anyone who will be in regular contact with the child goes through checks as well (ie family and friends of yours). They will do an assessment of your home to ensure it's suitable- identifying any safety hazards etc. That's all before you are even approved. I'm not sure about infants with rooms as we only had older kids, we had 3 plus our own daughter/s and they weren't worried about room sharing (the 3 were siblings). But that may have changed as it was 8 or so years ago.

Happy to try and answer any more questions if you have them. I personally couldn't do it again, especially with my own children in the house still. It's rewarding in that these kids are finally getting the love and care they deserve but it comes with A LOT of difficulties too- not just for you as foster parents but your own children as well and the kids you take in. And although we were promised all this wonderful support, it was all talk. The hoops you have to jump through are ridiculous and it can be so incredibly frustrating in regards to any contact related matters. Also, you need FACS permission to do anything- right down to hair cuts etc. Simple every day things become an ordeal because you need to get permission and follow all these protocols and procedures.

Comment

Working...
        X