No announcement yet.

Problems with ex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best of luck with it all Hun. It can and will be a very frustrating time. Been there done that. Odd how different states do kids surgeries though.

Comment

There isn't really such a thing as sole custody anymore. What I think you are wanting is sole parental responsibility. That means that one parent is granted sole decision making ability for major decisions in a child's life - eg medical, religious and educational. It does not stop the other parent from seeing the child.

The family law act presumes shared parental responsibility, that means both parents have responsibility for major long term decisions for the child's well being - examples typically given are medical, educational and religious decisions. The presumption of shared responsibility exists regardless of how often each parent sees the child.

It is my understanding that sole parental responsibility is quite difficult to obtain. You would be best off speaking to a lawyer about your chances and the steps you need to go through.
      Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 08-08-2017, 22:06.

Comment

Re cochlear implants - ask her to compromise. Tell her that you won't pressure her as long as if (and when) your son decides to have them, she won't try to force him. And get it in writing. Put it in the orders. It's his choice whenever he's ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Chmeille View Post
          Re cochlear implants - ask her to compromise. Tell her that you won't pressure her as long as if (and when) your son decides to have them, she won't try to force him. And get it in writing. Put it in the orders. It's his choice whenever he's ready.
          I imagine though that the doctor's may want him to have it sooner rather than later for speech development.

Comment

Originally posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
            I imagine though that the doctor's may want him to have it sooner rather than later for speech development.
            Exactly right, the earlier he gets them the better chance he has of having normal speech.

Comment

Hi, hats off. You are a young and responsible Dad. I would suggest that you go for mediation so that you can have a parenting plan that suits you. Your life can't be a chaos because this will affect your son as well.
              For the surgery, maybe if you could go at the doctor together with the mother so that she can be aware of the importance.
              Best of luck [emoji4]

Comment

Originally posted by Mason98 View Post
                Exactly right, the earlier he gets them the better chance he has of having normal speech.
                Will she come to an appt with you? Not just to put her mind at ease about the surgery but to also better understand what it means for his speech development? Maybe have her parents sit in as well?

Comment

Originally posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
                  Will she come to an appt with you? Not just to put her mind at ease about the surgery but to also better understand what it means for his speech development? Maybe have her parents sit in as well?
                  I asked her to come, she said she might but didn't turn up.

My dad has been talking to her dad, they arranged for us all to sit down and talk about it and why she is saying no, her parents don't understand why she is saying no.

Comment

Working...
                  X