Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dutch Licorice in Pregnancy??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dutch Licorice in Pregnancy??

    Hi Dutch Ladies,

    My Dad has just sent me two huge bags of dutch licorice, (non salty ones) just the brown coins, Katja, beehives, etc, mostly the sweet ones.

    Do you know if it's ok to eat during pregnancy? I'm assuming it is, but want to make sure.
    I am craving it big time.

    Thanks in advance.

  • #2
    In case anyone's interested, I have since found out that it is the high sodium content in the dutch licorice which is the main problem, so like anything, a little bit here and there is fine.

    Comment


    • #3
      I love love love dutch licorice. I had a bit during pregnancy. Of course in moderation

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MothersMilk View Post
        I love love love dutch licorice. I had a bit during pregnancy. Of course in moderation
        Yes....... moderation is the key!! LOL

        I don't think I've ever seen bags as big as the ones that were sent to me, they have to be 1kg bags each, so hate to think what my Dad paid for them. Tis making it very difficult to eat them in 'moderation' .
        Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 05-03-2009, 09:27.

        Comment


        • #5
          I have to get my DH to hide the bags when i get them so i don't go overboard
          They are so hard to resist.

          Comment


          • #6
            i tend to look these things up in google scholar when unsure. i love my dutch liquorish but it's been found to cause lower birth weight and preterm birth too.
            it's also not reccomened for breastfeeding mums. According to the studies i found it's also something to do with the liquorish itself, not just the salt.
            keep the intake down to just one DZ a day.

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks for the info wocket.
              Thankfully i haven't eaten any while breastfeeding and only had an occasional one while pregnant (with no ill effects).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by wocket View Post
                i tend to look these things up in google scholar when unsure. i love my dutch liquorish but it's been found to cause lower birth weight and preterm birth too.
                it's also not reccomened for breastfeeding mums. According to the studies i found it's also something to do with the liquorish itself, not just the salt.
                keep the intake down to just one DZ a day.
                Certainly interesting, I wonder how all the dutch licorice loving pregnant women go in the Netherlands and whether they did these studies from them

                Comment


                • #9
                  it was a combo of studies. they found that it's not a problem in other countries but where DL is popular it tends to be eaten to excess (you try stopping at one, dare you!) so you're more "at risk" by living in Holland, Belgium and SE Australia! lol

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    That's the problem, I can't stop at one, especially with 2kgs worth.

                    I decided to follow Mothersmilk's lead and get DH to hide them, especially as when my blood sugar level drops I start craving sweet things which I never have before, and then was dipping into the DL!
                    The countries at risk were interesting, totally makes sense, as it's definitely an acquired taste.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Uniquey View Post
                      That's the problem, I can't stop at one, especially with 2kgs worth.

                      I decided to follow Mothersmilk's lead and get DH to hide them, especially as when my blood sugar level drops I start craving sweet things which I never have before, and then was dipping into the DL!
                      The countries at risk were interesting, totally makes sense, as it's definitely an acquired taste.
                      I know what you mean.
                      I'm notorious for getting my hubby to hide them then begging him for some an hour later
                      Darn you dutch licorice why do you have to be so delicious

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I read 'dutch licorice' and just had to see what this thread was about! I'm addicted to it by having a dutch father.

                        Anyway, I had dutch licorice during my 3 pg's and whilst bf 3, there's been no side effects - none of my boys were underweight, the smallest being 7lb11oz and the largest being 10lbs (maybe from the licorice!).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by sonlou73 View Post
                          the largest being 10lbs (maybe from the licorice!).


                          We're getting a bit of a 'dutch licorice fanclub' happening .

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            good to see. I love DL and don't know anyone else who does.


                            it's not guaranteed to do bad stuff but raises the chances of things i mentioned earlier happening...so cold turkey for me until my bub is older.



                            On te plus side I haven't heard anything bad about spekelas or strautwaffle (spelling?)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It's nice to find people who like DL too - nobody i know in real life does. (the plus side is i never have to share )

                              I remember when i was a kid no where near me sold it so i asked the local deli if they could stock it. They did and i started going there to get my DL fix - then one day i walked in and no more licorice "What happened?" i asked.
                              "We had to stop ordering it as you were the only person buying it" they say

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X