Gungahlin/Harrison mums groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mrs Snowman View Post
    Rentals here are so expensive! We have lots of defence families/members in our building. I'd say about 30%. We mostly have 2br apartments though. Some 3br on the top floor, but we don't have a lift. So it's 3 floors of stairs up to the top :/
    Are you just looking in Gunghalin? I'm sure there are other members who can give you the low down on other Canbo suburbs if you need! How stressful! Don't you have a newborn?
    Yes we have a newborn. We've enrolled our daughter into Harrison school so looking for houses around there. Dh has been looking for houses for weeks now. Even cut short his paternity leave to head back but it's a tight market. And he is useless at private rentals.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
      Yes we have a newborn. We've enrolled our daughter into Harrison school so looking for houses around there. Dh has been looking for houses for weeks now. Even cut short his paternity leave to head back but it's a tight market. And he is useless at private rentals.
      Has he just been looking at harrison? You could also look at amaroo, ngunnawal, Franklin, forde, bonner, jacka, Casey. They're all suburbs within a 10 min drive of harrison school. The good thing about gungahlin is all the suburbs are linked by three main arterial roads.

Unfortunately it is a very tight rental market here and rent is ridiculous for what you get. Our market is pushed up because of the apparent high wages that are inflated by a small portion of the population.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Comment

We are likely to be a one car family next year so looking at places within a 2km walk of the school. Otherwise we will have to change schools if we don't find a house in the area b

Comment

There is nothing available.... They offered us a 2bed apartment for 2adults and 3kids. Plus it's so bloody expensive for rentals.

Urgh
          That is really cr4ppy! How can a family of 5 live in a 2 bedroom place when you are also entitled to a 3bedder?
          I have heard how expensive it is to not only rent but buy in Canberra too. I don't even know how RA works when it comes to expensive areas to live, could imagine it would still cost a fortune 😁 I hope for your sake, something pops up last minute. Houses usually come online at 2-3am if you continue to check.
          Last edited by BabyG4; 01-11-2015, 12:17.

Comment

Originally posted by del79 View Post
            Do u mean buying a house or renting?
            and is it not enough houses or what was the issue of not being able to "get a house"?

Now, i am worried because we have only looked on the internet
            Depends where you are being posted Del. I'm in SA where there are plenty of houses, some in not ideal spots but still plenty available. Places like Canberra and Sydney have a shortage unfortunately.
            It can be extremely overwhelming when you are first starting out, look up some fb pages where other defence spouses can give you a heads up on everything you need to do.

Comment

There is nothing available.... They offered us a 2bed apartment for 2adults and 3kids. Plus it's so bloody expensive for rentals.

Urgh
              DH has been wanting to request a posting to Canberra and this is one of the reasons i said no way! So hard to find housing however if we did go there I would definitely look around bungendore area it's really nice there about 20 mins drive to the base also. Can you get your RB lifted higher we have done that before another area you could consider is Queanbeyan but The NICE area. What about on-base living?

Ps good luck there's nothing worse than being posted with a newbie and stress of not being able to find a house x
              Last edited by Soon2be4; 01-11-2015, 13:11.

Comment

We are likely to be a one car family next year so looking at places within a 2km walk of the school. Otherwise we will have to change schools if we don't find a house in the area b
                Most of the schools in the gungahlin area are very highly rated so if it comes to having to change schools to be able to get house don't let that stress you

Comment

Can I ask if you already have a local address to be able to enrol your daughter in Harrison ?

I am not even in Canberra yet but looked at a few schools and was told that I need an address locally first.

Comment

Originally posted by del79 View Post
                    Can I ask if you already have a local address to be able to enrol your daughter in Harrison ?

I am not even in Canberra yet but looked at a few schools and was told that I need an address locally first.
                    We are going to send her to a Catholic school and they were ok with enrolling her using my dhs work address. The defence liaison at that school was very helpful.

Comment

Just to update. We have been approved for a house. So after putting in 9 applications we got one.

Very relieved. It's in the area we needed but on outer limits.

Comment

Awesome, that must be such a relief! All the best with the move.

Comment

Bumping - for playdates

Comment

Bumping - for playdates
                            I am in gungahlin with a 21 month old ds, we're always up for play dates

Comment

Working...
                            X