There’s nothing more precious than a newborn baby. And there’s nothing more beautifully soft than a newborn baby’s precious skin.
Unfortunately it doesn’t always stay that soft and beautiful. Babies can be prone to many skin conditions including nappy rash, dry skin and eczema.
Luckily, there are ways to help protect baby’s skin and often it is a simple matter of choosing the right products and looking out for those that contain harsh chemicals that can cause irritation.
Here are some tips for looking after baby’s sensitive skin and avoiding harsh chemicals.
Tips for looking after baby’s sensitive skin
There are a few ways to help protect your baby’s skin. These include:
- Bath your newborn baby only every three days, keep baths short and use lukewarm water. The hotter the water, the more moisture your baby’s skin will lose.
- Protect your baby from harsh weather. Avoid the harsh summer sun, stay out of cold windy weather in winter.
- Trim your baby’s fingernails so they can’t scratch themselves
- Wash new clothes before your baby wears them
- Change nappies frequently and make sure they’re not too tight.
- Keep baby’s face as clean and dry as possible to avoid saliva rashes around the mouth or moisture build up in the creases in their neck or behind the ears.
- When buying clothes and bedding look for 100 per cent cotton as it allows the skin to breathe.
- Buy baby products and laundry products that are dermatologically tested, with a low fragrance level and no dyes.
- See your health care provider if your worried about your baby’s skin.
Tips for avoiding harsh chemicals
When shopping for baby products and laundry products for your baby’s clothes and bedding, there are some things to look out for to help avoid irritating your newborn’s skin. Here are some tips:
- Look for baby products and laundry products that are low in fragrance.
- Make sure products contain no phosphates or dyes
- Buy only products that are dermatologically tested.
- Shop for laundry products that are made specifically for babies or sensitive skin. Others can contain fillers that leave a residue on clothes which will irritate sensitive skin.
This blog post is sponsored by Nature’s Organics
The Purity Sensitive Laundry range has been specifically formulated for babies’ extra sensitive skin.
The powerful plant-based formulas easily cut through dirt and stains, leaving clothes white, bright, clean, fresh and extra cuddly. Each product has been dermatologically tested, so it’s ideal for the entire family – from the tiniest member through to adults. With a refreshingly light fragrance across the range, no harsh chemical residue or heavy perfumes are left on laundry that could irritate sensitive skin.
Purity is available from Woolworths, Coles and Chemist Warehouse.
Visit www.naturesorganics.com.au/our-brands/purity for more.