Baby shower games and gift ideas
So, you've been put in charge of arranging the baby shower? You have decided on the venue, your guest list and food. All you need to do now is decide on gifts for the mum-to-be and what games to play at the shower?
It is pretty common these days for the mum-to-be to have already organised most of the important items to be ready for the baby, so it is a good idea to talk to her about any other items she may still need and want.
To avoid doubling up on gifts, a simple solution is to get the mum-to-be to put together a wish list, then as organiser when you send out the invites you can include the list or the website/shop details of where the gift registry will be. This gives the guests the opportunity to choose something off the list and, with the bigger ticket items, a few guest may decide to club together. If the mum-to-be is not keen on this idea then here are some suggestions you can never go wrong with:
- baby wraps, blankets and bibs - any new mum will tell you can never have enough of these!
- books such as baby guides, pregnancy books, baby journals and nursery rhymes treasury's
- beautiful keepsake boxes for babies' first lock of hair, hospital bracelets and first tooth can all be lovely gift ideas.
Another great idea is to put together a starter pack including: nappies, wipes, baby lotion, a soft toy and a swaddling cloth. This is always so good as all the items will be used.
A wonderful way to include many of your guests who are already mums is to ask them to put together a few facts and tips for a "stuff they don’t tell you" sheet. Your guest of honour will be forever grateful for this.
Don't forget this is a great opportunity to spoil the mum-to-be, too, so instead of presents for the baby, you can give her gifts. Some ideas include pyjamas, scented candles, a new wash bag and toiletries, maybe even a visit to a relaxing pregnancy retreat as a joint gift.
And please don't forget the siblings - they can often feel left out of this celebration so it is a good idea to have a little something for them to open. One idea could be a photo frame for them to put in a picture of themselves with their new sibling after the big day arrives.
Baby shower games
To break the ice for guests and so everyone has a bit of fun, it is a good idea to plan a few games. When choosing your games, keep in mind the personality of the mum-to-be and the age range of guests. It is a good idea to mix up a good selection of written and active games, but also be mindful and have a few other games to fall back on as, depending on the crowd, some will work better than others.
Here is a list of inexpensive fun games you can do at a baby shower with just a little planning.
- Baby - You give each guest a dummy with a ribbon attached as they arrive, then each guest wears a dummy around their neck if anyone is caught saying the word "baby" you have to take that persons dummy. The object of the game is to collect as many dummies as you can from the other guests.
- Jelly Babies – You need to prepare this a day ahead. Simply put a jelly baby in an ice cube slot, fill with water and freeze. When your guests arrive and they have a drink ensure they all have a frozen jelly baby. The first guest whose ice melts is the winner.
- The Price is Right – Get 8 baby products and each guest needs to guess how much each item costs. The guest who has the closest amount wins.
- Change the Baby – You get a newborn baby-sized doll, some disposable nappies and a timer. Each guest will take off the nappy and put another one on using only one hand with their other behind their back. The fastest player is the winner.
You don’t really need to do many more than 4 games as guests will also want plenty of time for chatting. If you don't have much time beforehand, you can buy online books with baby shower games and baby bingo.
The best thing you can do is just have fun and remember it is a beautiful time in a woman's life and everyone will enjoy sharing in it.